H22A vs B18C5 WTF???

h22_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
I never said a b18c5 block, I said find a b series block for cheaper then any h22 block.

Side note:
B18c5 are over priced..PERIOD. Yes very good motors and I have drove many and I have seen many run. No stock b18c5 can hang with my setup though and mine didn't cost nearly as much as a b18c5 and mine was freshly rebuilt. By me of course so that would be the only downfall for someone that did not know how to build a motor, you would have to get someone to do it for you.

But I have a ls/vtec setup with b18b bottom end thats been honed, hot tanked. New OEM Honda parts in the bottom end with p30 pistons on ls rods.
I have a b16a2 head with gsr cams
I have a b16a2 tranny (wish it had lsd, only downfall here)
then I have your typical bolt ons, with exedy stage 1 clutch, header, intake, exhaust.

12.2:1 compression....no itr or H22 with same boltons can match me. I spent less on this swap then I would have with a itr swap. ITR swap is going to cost more then a h22 swap.

wat u run in the 1/4s

100Percen%

The Random One
5+ Year Member
hector said:
I OWN A H22.. OUR OPINIONS DONT MATTER, EVERYONE HAS DIFFRENT GOALS. . BOTH ENGINES ARE GREAT AND BOTH CAN BUILT NA, SUPERCHARGED, OR TURBO CHARGED. MONEY WILL ALWAYS BE A FACTOR IN ANYWAY YOU GO, TUNNING IS EXPENSIVE. YOU ALSO HAVE TO LEARN TO MAKE SACRAFICES.
I already knew everything you just said. I'm not looking for someone's opinion to guide me in what i do to my car. I want info about the motors and a comparison of how they perform. Also, chill with the all caps. Noboby likes it.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
h22_ek said:
wat u run in the 1/4s
fresh motor built, haven't taken it to the track yet, but my buddy in a h22 hatch can't keep up and my buddy with a itr says mine pulls a lot harder.

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GoDave! said:
I can and will vouch for this kid, he knows his stuff...

and yes I was bored and enjoyed a laugh...thanks! I am just playing with you by the way don't be such a girl:lol:
Glad you had a laugh, and Ill stop being such a "girl" when you stop acting, well, like a E-thug on a public forum.

Anywho, If you want power man, the H22 is a good pick. Yes a frankenstine K24 will provide more power but cost once again. The great thing is since the K series came out, B and H series parts have been dropping in prices fast. The H22 is going to be a double edge sword. More power, but more work. Cheaper to buy, but youll have to re-enforce it some if you plan on boosting past 7 or 8 psi.

If you have the time, go with the H. They are really great engines. I just opted for the B due to easy, and it was my first complete engine swap I had ever done on a Honda.

GoDave!

DAF said:
Glad you had a laugh, and Ill stop being such a "girl" when you stop acting, well, like a E-thug on a public forum.

Ummmm, E-thug? Please show me a comment that classifies me as such. Stop whining you take what I said so seriously, for what? It was a simple joke. I don't know why you are so offended. Relax man, it IS a public forum. And I can say whatever the hibbidy dibbidy I want, as long as I am following the rules and not threatening anyone or calling you names, OR taking things so seriously and crying about it like you are. LOCK IT UP!

So, moving on.....anyone here like H-series?:lol:

h22_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
fresh motor built, haven't taken it to the track yet, but my buddy in a h22 hatch can't keep up and my buddy with a itr says mine pulls a lot harder.
dont go around saying no h22 can keep up if u only raced one

GoDave!

h22_ek said:

I know of a few stock build H22A's that could punish his LS/V. I guess because they are in lighter chassis' than his coupe.. The H is just a faster motor in the car. Plain and simple. I don't know why he's bragging and comparing an internally AND externally modified VTEC motor against a stock one w the simple boltons.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
h22_ek said:
I've raced a few thanks you including a 4dr integra with h22 and a 2dr integra with h22.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
GoDave! said:
I know of a few stock build H22A's that could punish his LS/V. I guess because they are in lighter chassis' than his coupe.. The H is just a faster motor in the car. Plain and simple. I don't know why he's bragging and comparing an internally AND externally modified VTEC motor against a stock one w the simple boltons.
Reason why I was saying my points are because it was cheaper for me to build my motor then swap a H22 into my chassis. So bang for the buck I have a better motor then a H22 and it was cheaper then getting a H22 and swapping it into my 99 coupe.

Just giving the OP suggestions that a faster motor can be built for cheaper then swapping in a H22 or B18c5.

Also I know my setup is nice because I had a good buddy with a similiar setup in his coupe and it beat up on H22 swaps and b18c5 swaps. Why do you think I built this motor like his??? Its a good setup, is fairly cheap and I am happy with it because i can still run ps and ac if I wanted to, plus I didn't have to cut holes in my floor.

I've built, helped, seen a lot of Honda motor swaps over the years from boosted to N/A. I'm not saying I know it all but the setup I have right now is one of the best to do for a ls/vtec setup using OEM parts. In which I wanted. It's very reliable and I know everything works together.

H22's are nice motors don't get me wrong, but I just finished helping a buddy swap in a H22 into his integra and he wasn't happy with it. Ended up selling the car. This is the same guy that has owned way to many cars including 00 Type R. B16 boosted delsol, 99 civic ls/vtec, 99 civic bult ls/vtec with boost, H22 Integra not to mention other Honda's with your normal ls swaps and gsr swaps.
Thats just Honda's. He has had a couple bikes, 69 camaro that runs 6's in the 1/8. His dad runs a rail car that does 4's in the 1/8.
I have built motors out of his garage, he has helped me build motors. We just finished his del sol b16 boost project up last month.

100Percen%

The Random One
5+ Year Member
Okay so once again this thread is off topic. I know very well that if I wanted to I could go with an ls/vtec setup, but that has nothing to do with what i wanted to know. Of course there are tons of other swaps and head/bottomend combos I could do for whatever cost. But as of right now, while i'm reading this thread, I don't care.
H22A and B18C5 = on topic
anything else = off topic
I don't want this thread closed/locked before i'm satisfied with the information i learn from it. Alrighty?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2.2L will give you more hp and tq in the end. YES, you can bore and stroke the 1.8, but you can also do that to the 2.2

in the end the 2.2 comes out on the top.

100Percen%

The Random One
5+ Year Member
Well, there hasn't been one pro-ITR post in this whole thread so I guess the verdict is H22A. I firgured as much. Now I need info on the b-series tranny swap. The H2B thingamawhatsit?

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
c5 = handbuilt motor from honda..

it's not the rarity of it that pushes the price up..its the demand...its not all that rare since it was produced here and abroad...

also some1 said that h22 vs c5 the h22 would pull a couple cars on the top ROFL..let me just say :laugh: :lol:

with all variables being equal if u have h22 and c5 or c-R in the same chassis..its the B18c that will pull two cars at the end...the H will pull on it from the dig but the B will catch it and pass it...no question about it..

good luck with ur decision. :thumbup:

GoDave!

Blazed said:
also some1 said that h22 vs c5 the h22 would pull a couple cars on the top ROFL..let me just say :laugh: :lol:

with all variables being equal if u have h22 and c5 or c-R in the same chassis..its the B18c that will pull two cars at the end...the H will pull on it from the dig but the B will catch it and pass it...no question about it..
Wrong....

The H22 has too much torque for the C5 to keep up at a higher rate of speed. It's common sense, plus don't know about you but I am basing my statement off of multiple accounts of first hand experience. The ITR can rev higher and has a better gear ratio, whoopty flippin doo.

...The lighter the chassis, the more the torque/weight ratio comes into play. The smaller displacement, lower tq motor has to work ALOT harder to push the weight than the larger one. As speed increases, so does wind resistance. You may not think wind resistance matters, but as the car accelerates, torque becomes more and more important.

Bottom line, from what I have experienced over and over, an H22A CRX WILL pull away from an B18C5 CRX, in the dig, and the C5 will NOT catch it. I guarantee it.....all factors being equal....aside from the engines lol. ......no question about it.;)

If you want to test it out come to VA!:thumbs up lol

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and im telling u they wont...i kept up with a h22 in a hatch with a gsr in my coupe and yes i have seen c5'd cars take h22 with no problem...

reread what i wrote..yeh the h22 will have a nice lead from the dig...but as ur running out of rpm's is when the b18c will catch up and pass u...

im talkin bone stock motors ofcourse..in my book thats great for a 1.8 vs 2.2..bore out the 1.8 and u got a all new ballgame...

u not acknowledging how big a factor revving (7200 h22 9200 type r) and specially gear ratios play in a race speaks to ur ignorance...why did they invent the h2b? rofl..what major advantage does the K series motor have over the B other than ivtec and vtc lol..think about it.

GoDave!

Blazed said:
and im telling u they wont...i kept up with a h22 in a hatch with a gsr in my coupe and yes i have seen c5'd cars take h22 with no problem...

reread what i wrote..yeh the h22 will have a nice lead from the dig...but as ur running out of rpm's is when the b18c will catch up and pass u...

im talkin bone stock motors ofcourse..in my book thats great for a 1.8 vs 2.2..bore out the 1.8 and u got a all new ballgame...

u not acknowledging how big a factor revving (7200 h22 9200 type r) and specially gear ratios play in a race speaks to ur ignorance...why did they invent the h2b? rofl..what major advantage does the K series motor have over the B other than ivtec and vtc lol..think about it.
I don't need you to tell me anything. I see it at the track all the time. Go spend 4-5 k on you ITR swap. The H22A is faster hands down. Same chassis vs. same chassis. The guy you or your friend raced sucked at driving or had problems with his car.

And plus i didn't acknowledge how big a factor gearing is...I said whoopty flippin do to that. I was talking about torque! haha You make no sense.

You know nothing about the topic so just stay out of it. You try to come on here saying a B18C5 is faster than an H22A car for car, when you said you've seen it happen. Just because you saw it doesn't proove the important facts. I have too but it wasn't in your favor. an H22 is more commonly used by actual dragrace teams why? TORQUE it is a WAY better platform than an ITR. I'm not saying a H can't lose to a C5, I'm just saying if all the factors were equal then an H has a huge advantage and will overcome the C5.

You will rev the piss out of a Type-R and it still won't accelerate as fast as an H22A at a higher speed. That is a FACT. Torque is far more important than rev limits in a dragrace big guy. Do V8's rev super high to go fast.... NO. So your point is dead invalid.

P.S. My old 1992 Prelude Si (H22A) revved out to 8,000rpm stock with a virgin JDM p13 ecu. I was NEVER beat by an Integra Type-R an I raced quite a few. And they weigh what? 2,600lbs against my 2,880? Give me a break, "oh well they rev higher" I could hear them winding the f*ck out. But it didn't help much.

You sit there and say bore out the 1.8 and you gotta whole new ball game? Um howbout a stroked to 2.6???? haha. There would be NO ballgame for your bored 1.8...Then again I never was the one comparing a bored out engine to a stock one to make an argument.

You can't argue this, but all day, in a drag race, a:

4,000lb car w/ H22A > 4,000lb car w/ B18C5
3,000lb car w/H22A > 3,000lb car w/B18C5
2,000lb car w/H22A > 2,000lb car w/B18C5

...Don't ever come on here and tell me I'm ignorant. Because until you have enough intelligence to not come on here bragging about what you beat, and I could care less, just don't post.