Header Prices...

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
So I got a header off ebay for like $60, stainless steel with both the gaskets from Speed Daddy to replace my Chikara header. The pipes were probably about 25% wider than the Chikara header I had too. I installed it and I'll be totally honest, it was a right off the bat noticable difference in low end torque, felt like I was running 1,500rpms higher than I was. So my question is why in the world would someone pay like $300 for a Skunk or $200 for a DC when you can get obvious torque gains from a $60 header off ebay that actually looks pretty nice. Are people just paying for the name?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no, they are made of higher quality materials, welds are cleaner, they are smoother on the inside, they have r&d 'ed there product where ebay stuff, is just basically a copy of some random header, and yah your paying a lil more for the name, but they also come with warrantys most the time i beleive

SwiftEKtuner

EJ6 Powderpuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i guess people buy it because of the name...but in the long run the name brand ones will probably last longer and also theres a posibility that the welds might crack...

Young gunna

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think that's what it is, i know a perfect example is off the time reaction page. the JVT headers cost 1xx bucks and then you look at the custom which are the same exact headers just without the name stamped on it and they're 56 bucks

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
well i guess people buy it because of the name...but in the long run the name brand ones will probably last longer and also theres a posibility that the welds might crack...
Yeah, but I've seen a $300 header crack, so if it's going to happen, why not with a $60 one and just replace it when necessary lol...

i think that's what it is, i know a perfect example is off the time reaction page. the JVT headers cost 1xx bucks and then you look at the custom which are the same exact headers just without the name stamped on it and they're 56 bucks
See that's kinda what I was thinking...

Young gunna

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know alot of parts are made on a production line and stamped with different names. i've seen it in person lol.

L.D.Forget

Personally if i can get a decently made header for 60 bucks or a well made one for 300-400, ill probably buy 2 of the 60$ header and keep one for backup... Its not like their hard to change.

pguff

5+ Year Member
I got my ebay header for $48 4 years ago, and it is still running and looking good

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that low end torque you're feeling is all in your head. You won't feel any difference with a header or intake. You will hear the difference but that's about all. :lol:

but once the welds break or holes pop up in the header, you'll see why people pay more money for the quality stuff. ;)

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
that low end torque you're feeling is all in your head. You won't feel any difference with a header or intake. You will hear the difference but that's about all. :lol:

but once the welds break or holes pop up in the header, you'll see why people pay more money for the quality stuff. ;)
Lol... ooooookay, if you say so. I guess more air doesn't mean more power... gee i wonder how those extra points pop up on the dyno then... that's so weird!

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol... ooooookay, if you say so. I guess more air doesn't mean more power... gee i wonder how those extra points pop up on the dyno then... that's so weird!
:lol:

the points you speak of some times drop down. It does help the engine breath a little better tho.

I mean, I wouldn't pay that much for a header either. :thumbs up

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with Biz 100%.

If youre going to install a header, you need to open THE ENTIRE system.

Which means, intake, intake mani, header, exhaust. If you do not do all this, you will get a bottle neck effect.

Also If you dont do all this, its all in your head. And will only sound different.

AND remember, theres no such thing as ANY of these parts adding power. they only free up the motor for power thats already there, but restricted by the smaller diameter parts.

Last edited:

XeroReboot

Z6-All Motor
the points you speak of some times drop down. It does help the engine breath a little better tho.
Also I'd sacrifice top end power, which to me is stupid, for usuable power in the low and mid range since that's where you're probably going to spend about 80% of your time.

If youre going to install a header, you need to open THE ENTIRE system.

Which means, intake, intake mani, header, exhaust. If you do not do all this, you will get a bottle neck effect.
Sorry I didn't include the fact that I had a CAI, exhaust and a Y8 manifold installed with an AEM fuel rail and regulator coming in the mail, when I posted this... I honestly couldn't give 2 craps about HP, all i want is a smoother, broader torque band so I have more usual power in every day situations since Hondas are gutless below 5,000rpms, which is why I'd done everything except for the above listed, which I haven't recieved yet. My questions was simply if the $300 headers were actually worth it when I noticed a difference with the $60 ones...

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol, well in that case, I would say yes. Its worth it.

I learned a long time ago not to cheap out on parts. I've had too many cheap parts fail, and nearly zero quality parts fail. I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for.

Let us know what you decide to go with.... oh yeah, and stay away from pacesetter headers.

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'll agree with tony, seeing cheap ebay parts fail in other people's civics had made me do the proper research and find the quality parts that will NOT fail on me....and if they do, i have a warrenty to cover the loss.
=) its a win win.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why pay $400 for a DC header for it to rust in two years? I got a Megan header for my Civic, and its lasted over 5 years with ZERO issues. I also had a eBay header on my B18a1. ZERO issues, and the welds looks nice and smooth. With ebay parts, its a crapshoot. You may get lucky and get a good product that'll last. Or, you could get one that'll last you 3 days.

I myself will NEVER pay $400 for a shitty DC header, or anything from DC sports. IMO theyre junk. Im happy with a $60 eBay header for my D16 that'll never see more than 200whp N/A.

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ thats a good point too. Damn, with all these 300 dollar prices Im hearing about, it would make you all sick to know what I paid for my Greddy header on my FXT....

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ thats a good point too. Damn, with all these 300 dollar prices Im hearing about, it would make you all sick to know what I paid for my Greddy header on my FXT....
See, on a motor that will gain good numbers from an aftermarket header, I wouldnt have a single issue spending the money on a quality product. But with Honda's (D-Series more specifically), I cant see spending $300 on a part that will only add 1hp, IF your lucky.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
s**t, I bought a pace setter heade for $20 bucks on ebay when I was n/a