headers..worth it!

mark_jdm

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It all depends on how you look at it. Is it worth it from a dollars to horsepower ratio? Probably not. It is however, one of the easier and more practical things you can do, it looks better than stock and sounds nice with a full cat-back exhaust system. Personally, I would do it but don't expect big power gains. If you don't have a cat-back exhaust, consider upgrading that first. It seems like lately people always bash bolt-ons because finally people realize it's not realistic to gain 10-15 horsepower with a single part but they still have their place in my opinion. It's all about managing expectations.
My sentiments exactly. A lot of parts aren't really "worth it" in terms of price. But hey, you gotta start somewhere. Instead of a header, you could get new suspension parts, or a better mid-pipe, or this and that. I guess it depends on what is important to you, and what you would like to prioritize. I say get the header.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wouldnt be a bad idea to put in a gsr camshaft. though i cant remember if its intake or exhaust side that helps

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OP doesn't want to upgrade internals, so i would say get a header, either 4-2-1 or 4-1 and then continue to get the other simple bolt ons and finally get the entire setup tuned. No one here can say a full bolt on b16 tuned is even similar to a stock b16.

Sure when you add all the receipts up, its going to be quite a bit, but that's with any N/A application and if you don't have the cash to play then you really shouldn't be modding an engine. Just like upgrading your completely will be very beneficial, so will increasing the performance of an engine. You can't just get some lowering springs and a tower bar and say you have great suspension, just like you can't just grab a intake and header and say you're putting down good numbers

mark_jdm

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OP doesn't want to upgrade internals, so i would say get a header, either 4-2-1 or 4-1 and then continue to get the other simple bolt ons and finally get the entire setup tuned. No one here can say a full bolt on b16 tuned is even similar to a stock b16.

Sure when you add all the receipts up, its going to be quite a bit, but that's with any N/A application and if you don't have the cash to play then you really shouldn't be modding an engine. Just like upgrading your completely will be very beneficial, so will increasing the performance of an engine. You can't just get some lowering springs and a tower bar and say you have great suspension, just like you can't just grab a intake and header and say you're putting down good numbers
True dat. You gotta pay to play. Just save up for the right parts.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are you building a dd or a race car? if your going to be doing a lot of drag racing youll want the high end power, if your planning more for autox or dd then stick with the 4-2-1.

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With completely stock internals I really don't think the difference between a 4-2-1 header and a 4-1 header is really going to be noticeable. I've run both on mine, and for dd use I prefer my 4-1 megan header to the 4-2-1 dc sports ceramic. Granted my dc sports header is in two pieces right now...lol

All in all it usually comes down to which header is more reasonably priced when you go to buy it :P

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sound is a factor. i had a dc sports 4-2-1. with stock exhaust and a muffler from a tiburon. sounded amazing before the header. afterwards it was riceville and crazy loud. like two blocks away i was still heard. so maybe listen to some setups. youtube has lots of videos. and about open headers. or downpipe. i like being loud but holy crap i have heard diesels with a ten inch outlet on their exhaust not as loud as that. youtube will be a big help since you can get a sense of sound

CJ89

No title needed :)
Registered VIP
what if the race is on a very small and tight turn course? where you don't even shift pass 3rd gear?

Many factors, na mean?..

and Yes, you will lose high end power. But how much is that deviation? You would have to compare the power curve from a engine set up with a 4-2-1 and one with 4-1 to see where the difference is. That's if you really want to be technical about it. Not only to see the difference, but to gather some numbers from results and apply them to what you're trying to achive.
U seem to be looking at high end power as a 5th gear wot. However that is not the case it is in the high rpm of each gear so with any kind of racing you are going to be in that high rpm power band even if it is a small course and u don't get out of 3rd. Do you want more balls off the line? If so 4-2-1 if not and you want the power when you are screaming out 1st 2nd and 3rd on that small course? Then 4-1. It also depends on your driving. If you are not the best at launching off the line than a little more umph there could help. But if you can do that just fine and you just want more power threw out the rest of the track than its the 4-1. The 4-1 is what I will be going with.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Trekk

Registered VIP
I had a Dc sports 4-1 on my civic, it felt like I lost lots of bottom end. The car always felt like it wanted to bog off the line. It did seem to move pretty good once it was wound up. Then one day I put the stock catted header back on, and I felt like a had a ton of bottom end power come back, but the car lost its pull up top. That was on a d16, but I just think a 4-1 is too much exhaust for a bolt on, untuned car.

The other thing that really blows is if you are low, 4-1 hang down pretty far and are easy to damage.

emerican

Registered VIP
If your just going to dd the car id go 4-2-1
Also the brand is up to you, but i love my megan racing 4-2-1

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U seem to be looking at high end power as a 5th gear wot. However that is not the case it is in the high rpm of each gear so with any kind of racing you are going to be in that high rpm power band even if it is a small course and u don't get out of 3rd. Do you want more balls off the line? If so 4-2-1 if not and you want the power when you are screaming out 1st 2nd and 3rd on that small course? Then 4-1. It also depends on your driving. If you are not the best at launching off the line than a little more umph there could help. But if you can do that just fine and you just want more power threw out the rest of the track than its the 4-1. The 4-1 is what I will be going with.

Ok, i see what you're saying. Yea, my car has a 4 into 1 manifold right now.

ribal_gh

Hi man,

Excatly thats my point..when u r having an race ur RPM will certainly be above 5K all the way.
so the bottom end power that is lost will only affect the launching.
so all thway 4-1=)

ribal_gh

I do not man. The header that i replaced was 4-2-1 for a 4-1. My only deciding factor was that i wanted to improve High-end power. I was satisfied with the current low-end power but was looking to improve high-end power one way or another. I can also say that the second deciding factor was the fact that i wanted to try something different, since i was driving the car for several years with a 4 into 2 into 1 header.
:edit:
i rmember that day :lol: i drove open header to my friends shop to hook up the exhaust. it was LOUD!
Hecz,

Since you have experienced both setups.. in genral which one u liked more!
by the way my car is DD but for short distance during week days, about 6 miles in the city and sure no racing...but why everbody say go for 4-2-1 if its a DD car??