Help asap!!!!! Please

civrex

5+ Year Member
alright here's the story i have an 2001 honda civic ex. my problem is the front strut's, spring's. ok so here's what it's doing i once in awhile hear this poping spring sound as if the spring's arent seated right on the strut? i intalled the spring's when it broke before but ive been doing this pretty regularly now like ill go buy a strut, and spring compressor, and when i install it i make sure the arrow on the top of the strut where the bolt's are at, is pointing toward's the wheel, well like every other time i did it it last for so long then clank it snap's the strut isnt blowing it's snapping like right where the middle nut is that compress's the spring that the strut rod keep's snapping in half????? it's pissing me off im spending money left and right on these damn strut's now my car is sitting about an hour and a half away from me broken and i have no car! i dont know what to do the car just has stock spring's nothing aftermarket. i just want to quit snaping these thing's???? any help is greatly appriceiated!!! it just piss'es me off cause i know where the problem is coming from but i cant for the life of me fix the damn thing!!!!!!!!!! does the top spring mount thing have to go on a certain way too? like the circle part the goes ontop of the spring? idk please help i need to get the car back today.:evil::evil::evil:

civrex

5+ Year Member
sorry wrong thread section.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You lost me bro....

I am not following your question....

You shout be removing your spring/strut together..

3 bolts up top in the engine bay and then 2 large bolts at the bottom, the ENTIRE thing comes out...

Then you take a spring compressor (2 of them)

One on each side of the spring locked into place.. Then you slowly got 2-3 turns on each side with a wrench ont he spring compressor, once you have relieved the pressure you undo the middle nut, take the top hat off, then its all apart, put a new strut in, slide the compressed spring back on. Then put the top hat back on and slowly release the spring compressor 2-3 turns a side back and forth....

I think thats what you need?

civrex

5+ Year Member
yeah lol i know all that but it's not like the 88-00 regular strut's it the a- arm's or what ever? but yeah i take the whole assembly out as one then i use the spring commpressor to take the top hat off, then i switch all of that over to the new strut i get it all back together but it's not right? the spring's still pop when i turn? see these strut's sping's turn with your car it has a bearing thing bettween the top hat and sping perch mount thing on top. but yeah they turn with the car unlike the 88-00 dosnt they just go right in and stay still 01+ turn with the car when you turn. i can do all the other one's with no problem's it's just these one's that are a pain!!! thank's man hope you get what i mean now?

civrex

5+ Year Member
yeah see i can do the one's in the video within minutes i wish the 01's were like that!!!

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow that is an amazing DIY page...

Okay so when I described it up top, like I said 2 bolts, which is seen in the link you sent, I just found a quick youtube video....

So I am more familiar with the newer model....

Okay so you got new struts in, then you put the top hat on? Then the plate with the bolts in it or they could be all in one, anyways you get all that on, put the nut on the strut get it tight and put it in the car and drive it and pops?

It Breaks? or just makes a noise?

I need more lol

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think from what you are describing, its not your springs man, sounds like you need a axle

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think from what you are describing, its not your springs man, sounds like you need a axle
:cussing:

SON OF A B****** Dude I didn't even think about that.....

Yea OP is it a loud CLICK CLICK CLICK when you turn only? He is right that is your CV Axle....

civrex

5+ Year Member
no belive me it's the spring alot of 7thgen's had this problem it's just that i need to know how to get it lined up? i have to go down and pick up the car ill take pic's of what i mean once i get it back home and show you guy's. it pop's once in awhile then one day it'll just give out and break in half the strut rod is actually breaking in half like once it does a loud bang i pop the hood and i can literaly pull the center bolt up out with some of the rod still attached! this is like the 4th or more time it's happend to me! the 01 civic's dont come marked on top so i dont know how to line it up? that's why it keep's breaking i just need to know how to line it all up? im so tired of doing this. ill be back with pic's to explain!!!!

civrex

5+ Year Member
it's not clicking it's like a poping spring sound like the spring get's stuck and then finally let's loose then turn's it's hard to describe. i know what a bad axle/cv joint sound's like that isnt the sound though. i appreciate all the help im getting though thank's alot nice to know i have someone when im in a hurry. but ill be back im going to somewhat fix it and bring it home i say somewhat because it fix's the problem but only temp longest i had a good strut was 7months and that was this last one that just went lol.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So the strut is snapping? That sounds like the wrong strut...

So if it is designed to turn with the car, there is Flat section on the strut rod to align it and go into place. Well if you have the wrong one and have the flat spot when you should not, or something is in the wrong order then it would cause it to snap due to pressure.

Pics will help

civrex

5+ Year Member
yes were getting somewhere now im pretty sure it's the right strut 01 civic ex identical to the original one but, i think the problem is me just putting it on wrong i just dont know how to do it right everyone's talking about lining it up i would if there was some other way beside's mark's to because there isnt any on mine or i would lol. im just tired of replacing these thing's it's a pita i just feel like getting rid of the car but it dosnt give me any other problem's but these front two strut's! but yeah as soon as my wife pic's up the strut from autozone ill be heading out and then when i come back with pic's!!! and yeah that's the crazy thing the strut is actually snapping like where i put the center bolt to tighten up the top hat to the spring about an inch or two of that down is snapping off. the the strut is just hanging there broke!!!!!!

1991civicb16

yes were getting somewhere now im pretty sure it's the right strut 01 civic ex identical to the original one but, i think the problem is me just putting it on wrong i just dont know how to do it right everyone's talking about lining it up i would if there was some other way beside's mark's to because there isnt any on mine or i would lol. im just tired of replacing these thing's it's a pita i just feel like getting rid of the car but it dosnt give me any other problem's but these front two strut's! but yeah as soon as my wife pic's up the strut from autozone ill be heading out and then when i come back with pic's!!! and yeah that's the crazy thing the strut is actually snapping like where i put the center bolt to tighten up the top hat to the spring about an inch or two of that down is snapping off. the the strut is just hanging there broke!!!!!!
D.I.Y is supposed to save you money. I would just take it into a shop and get a quote for the real problem. They usually do quotes for free.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well there is the FIRST Problem....

Your going to VATO ZONE!

What brand struts? I don't trust a thing from that POS store, it is always the wrong item, the people don't know sh**....

Well to the point man, I personally say do 1 of 3 things, take the new strut/spring combo to a shop and have them install it, have a shop do all the work, or get a new strut/spring assembly and pop it in....