honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Kataku said:
It's not necessarily a POS. But if you plan on building on it or doing anything serious, then it is a bad idea. If you can't go with an H22(like the vast majority of people on here), get a decent B-series. B18A/B's can be had for cheap, or a B16 if you have the money for it(which is not crap, by the way, just not as good as an H22).
putting anything other then either a H22, or H23, or even F22 into a 88-91 prelude is pointless, those are the only three motor that can or shold be put into a prelude of that generation, sure with money and fabrication the other honda non-bastard B motors can fit, but it's not worth it.

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tom said:
putting anything other then either a H22, or H23, or even F22 into a 88-91 prelude is pointless, those are the only three motor that can or shold be put into a prelude of that generation, sure with money and fabrication the other honda non-bastard B motors can fit, but it's not worth it.
True, but I was looking more towards an overall cost view than ease of swap. The B's take a little work, but if done yourself(which I guess realistically not a lot of people could) would be cheaper. I helped a friend do it and it ended up being way cheaper than plopping an H22 in there. But he knew how to weld too. :lol:

I didn't even think about the F22 though. I'd go with that personally. I was offered one by a friend a few months back for $600, 40k miles on it. Too bad they don't fit in 4th gens.

But yeah, now that I think about it, you're right, he should just stick with H or F.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Kataku said:
True, but I was looking more towards an overall cost view than ease of swap. The B's take a little work, but if done yourself(which I guess realistically not a lot of people could) would be cheaper. I helped a friend do it and it ended up being way cheaper than plopping an H22 in there. But he knew how to weld too. :lol:

I didn't even think about the F22 though. I'd go with that personally. I was offered one by a friend a few months back for $600, 40k miles on it. Too bad they don't fit in 4th gens.

But yeah, now that I think about it, you're right, he should just stick with H or F.
Actually they do fit in 4g's, however you'd have to get a custom bracket for the trans, cause you'd have to use the existing D-series trans, ass the accord and prelude trans is way to big to make clearance in our tiny bays.

http://www.importdrag.com/racers_BisiEzerioha.shtml

Last edited:

ryanM

dont forget to mention that those motors wont even except a vtec head, so swapping is the only way you will get good power out of that, or maybe turbo.

Blurone

5+ Year Member
I'm planning to keep the body of the prelude. But I've been googling H22 and found some under $900.00. But i have no clue what the F22 is. I just want something that'll last and can Handle being driven almost daily to and from work and school. Of course i do want to go fast at the same time. Is the H22 a 4banger? what about the F22? HElp me out.

Kataku

HAYOO
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blurone said:
I'm planning to keep the body of the prelude. But I've been googling H22 and found some under $900.00. But i have no clue what the F22 is. I just want something that'll last and can Handle being driven almost daily to and from work and school. Of course i do want to go fast at the same time. Is the H22 a 4banger? what about the F22? HElp me out.
Both are inline 4's. F22 is an Accord motor. I'd go with it because they are very abundant motors, therefore easier to get parts for. If my memory serves me right they were in USDM 97-00 Accord EX's, which are a dime a dozen.

And as you're searching for motors, usually if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Make sure you're getting everything in the process. And make sure you find a legit place to buy it. Such as hmotorsonline.com or JDM-Online.com.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Blurone said:
Most of your questions yo've been asking about the motors can be found here.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=68834

PLEASE learn to use the search feature in the upper right hand corner of the site.

Blurone

5+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
dont forget to mention that those motors wont even except a vtec head, so swapping is the only way you will get good power out of that, or maybe turbo.
Would i be able to find a turbo for the si motor of my prelude?? Haven't had time to search around. I'm too busy. I'm trying to save up much dinero.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Blurone said:
Would i be able to find a turbo for the si motor of my prelude?? Haven't had time to search around. I'm too busy. I'm trying to save up much dinero.
Do you understand how incredibly easy it really is to search? You either go up to the top of this page and do it, or go to one of the many search engines online like www.google.com or www.altavista.com