help wont start no crank

ftrms

5+ Year Member
This morning everything worked drove to work 30 min later went to start the car and it does nothing. It doesn't try to start or anything. All the lights on the dash work I checked the connections to the starter and battery all good. Now I don't know what else to check. How do u tell if the starter is bad please help its the only car we have.
Car is a 99 ex
D16a vtec intake header

SuperDanny

auto or manual? check the starter wire and make sure there is power going to it when you try to crank it (black/white wire), if its a manual, and if your getting power to the starter wire, check the clutch switch and make sure its ok, its a basic switch but maybe it came loose or busted off, couple things to check.... good luck...

ftrms

5+ Year Member
Alright so the tow truck driver got here and jumped the starter with a paper clip and It started, he said that means my starters good so what could it be

ftrms

5+ Year Member
auto or manual? check the starter wire and make sure there is power gcoing to it when you try to crank it (black/white wire), if its a manual, and if your getting power to the starter wire, check the clutch switch and make sure its ok, its a basic switch but maybe it came loose or busted off, couple things to check.... good luck...
Ok so after the tow truck driver did that I went home turned the car off and tried to turn it back on it started again. What could it be that it didn't want to start earlier?

ftrms

5+ Year Member
ya yesterday was the first time it happen. today i was driving it around and it wasnt doing it at all then it did it again. i went to start it but didnt fully start it and then after that it wouldnt start. So i did what the tow truck driver did to start it.. im lost on what it could be. Could it be like the main relay or something in the ignition switch? how do you test those

ftrms

5+ Year Member
so someone suggested me to try and start it and see if the starter wire goes from 0-12 volts at the starter end and it did so does that eliminate the ignition switch? and when i try and start it i dont hear the fuel pump prime. i might be deaf but my neighbor also doesnt hear it. But i can jump it at the starter, would it not start at all if the fuel pump didnt prime?

ftrms

5+ Year Member
i checked that switch, someone told me to put a paper clip in the plug to comlete it? well thats what i did dont know if thats the right way to check but thats what i did... this thing is frustrating me so much i cant figure it out.

ftrms

5+ Year Member
ok so i messed up the first time.. on the actual starter itself it reads 12v all the time and when you try to start it and i test the solenoid it doesnt read anything.. does that mean its the ignition switch?

SuperDanny

i checked that switch, someone told me to put a paper clip in the plug to comlete it? well thats what i did dont know if thats the right way to check but thats what i did... this thing is frustrating me so much i cant figure it out.
that should work fine, all your doing when you hit the clutch is closing a circuit, same with the paper clip, when i said starter wire earlier i meant at the ignition harness from the barrel , your starter its self will have a constant 12v wire coming from the battery...

ftrms

5+ Year Member
what do you mean from the barrel? and on the solenoid when trying to start it just reads 12v but on the starter its reading voltage, thats why when i jump it from the constant 12v from the starter it starts (im assuming)? should that mean its something in the ignition switch? or possibly the main relay? by the way once its started it runs perfectly

Sifreak23

See if you can get ur main relay tested cause it could cause that intermittent problem. Does engine stall at all a little? cause also,i just found a recall on the honda site about the ignition switch due to premature wear on contacts for 98-00 civics. Like said first, get that relay tested and if checks good, then its the ign switch. Hope that helps!

ftrms

5+ Year Member
ok so today i was looking around the wires and trying to figure out how to test the ignition switch and i came across something. when the person installed the alarm the cut the starter wire and ran it to a relay and from there ran another wire to the alarm brain for starter kill. the wire that goes to the brain got cut when i was trying to access the alarm so i decided to try and start it and it did!! now my question is why when the starter kill wire is cut it starts that seems odd

ftrms

5+ Year Member
tell me about it.. ive already have had multiple problems with it for some different reasons... i had to change the whole thing around but i never messed with the starter kill lol.... guess i shoulda done that when i was doing everything else, now i have to hunt down why this happen

SuperDanny

relay may have gotten weak, or corroded, you can get them from auto parts stores, just go with a good one and you shouldnt have any more problems with it, id go for a bosch or something