1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Helping With CEL Code # 7

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by Versatil, Mar 9, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Versatil

Versatil New 2 Honda's

Help With CEL Code # 7

OK just checked CEL code and it gave me 7 short blinks I'm guessing #7: TP Sensor (Throttle Position) defective circuit or unplugged/ defective sensor.. Question is how do i go about fixing that?

2. WalkingComplex

WalkingComplex Stock As All Hell Registered VIP

Just wait for RonJ so see this thread, then you'll have your answer

3. 94 civic ex

94 civic ex New Member 5+ Year Member

x2

4. 94civickid

94civickid New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

yes indeed ron j where are you i need to know the procedure on how to set the tps or if anyone else can help me and the op would be greatly appreciated

5. RonJ

RonJ Banned

6. kwell

kwell New Member 5+ Year Member

Does anybody know if this code pulls timing?

7. Versatil

Versatil New 2 Honda's

All fixed now, cel code # 7 was correct and it was the tp sensor, i got the brand new tps in today and replaced it and the light is gone now. thx for everyones help.

8. Versatil

Versatil New 2 Honda's

by the way, umm is it really important that the tps is giving the .45v's? i wasn't able to get the the 45 out of it while measuring , so i gave up and said to myself " let me just adjust it while the car is on and checking out the reaction, but when i turned it on the cel light was gone and car was idleling smooth.

9. RonJ

RonJ Banned

What TPS voltages did you measure at closed and WOT?

10. Versatil

Versatil New 2 Honda's

11. RonJ

RonJ Banned

What are the answers to the questions above? Also make sure that the throttle cable has about 1/2" slack in it and that the throttle plate is fully closed when you do the TPS adjustment.

12. Versatil

Versatil New 2 Honda's

o sorry i dont have the car with me to test now. so you want me to check for voltage when the throttle is fully closed and open? is that what you mean by WOT? and yeah i was adjusting the tps while plate was fully closed. I'll wait on you're answer and than check when i have the car with me.

13. RonJ

RonJ Banned

WOT = wide open throttle

You said you were unable to adjust the TPS to 0.45V at closed throttle. What was the voltage closest to 0.45V that you were able to achieve? An what was the voltage at WOT?

14. Versatil

Versatil New 2 Honda's

Well at closed throttle the closest i seen was like 43v but it was like for split sec, haven't tried at WOT its too dark for me to take a look now, plus ill have to borrow the meter again, but tomorrow it will the first thing i do.

15. RonJ

RonJ Banned

Close to but not exactly 0.45V is perfectly fine. It's an approximate voltage. What was the steady reading at closed throttle and WOT? Does the engine run fine? Any CEL codes?

16. Versatil

Versatil New 2 Honda's

the engine runs fine, i don't have any CEL now other than the one i just got rid of which was CEL code # 7 TPS, but i didn't have a steady reading at al,l it was everywhere.Should i do it while the plug is connected to the tps or not, i wish there was videos on these types of things.

17. RonJ

RonJ Banned

Reset the ECU and check whether code 7 eventually returns.

The TPS voltages are measured with the sensor plugged into its connector and the key turn to ON(II). Read the link in post #5. Scrape a small amount of the insulation away from the two relevant TPS wires to make the measurements.