Hendo's EF hatch project

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Frankenhatch (sorry about the cell phone pics):

And it's getting some primer already:

Figures. Week after next is archery opener in Michigan. I'll be gone Sept 30th to Oct 5th, and I would bet he's gonna have it done right about then. If he's priming already, that means paint real soon =) =) =)

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i cant wait to see this thing done

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
"Just about done with the heavy body work, then prime, sand, prime, sand, and get it ready for paint" he says today. Unfortunately my hunting plans changed and now I'm NOT driving through Detroit on my way to the spot, so no pics. AND no time to stop by next week either. Probably not going to be until the following weekend. Since I'm having the carpet replaced I've gotta hurry up and get that console pocket to him too. He's convinced he knows somebody that can fix the worn bolster on the drivers seat, need to talk cost on that. I told him I wanted it to look better than new and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm gonna get =)

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright, got some pics. His shop got busy over the last two weeks, and he spent a week getting the passenger door to fit right. I knew there was something off about it but it opened and closed fine so I wasn't really worried. So here's some pics

Doors off:

Better picture of the frankenhatch:

I didn't recognize this piece, it was always a hole lol:

Hood is "a mess" and sourcing another one:

Hole-free rockers:

Again, I don't recognize this part without the swiss cheese effect lol:

Heinie:

I may have to kick him another installment to get him moving again. I like the good deal from the buddy's dad, but of course, it's gonna be lowest priority lol

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow man, its starting to shape up. I bet it feels nice to not have to worry about a rusty body haha

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Rico is thinking about doing a rustproofing undercoat to the inside of the car wherever it's possible. He's going to pull most of the interior anyway, figures "the f**ker should last forever that way" XD

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I finally got an update from Rico that was more along the lines of "it looks a LOT different now" rather than "it's coming along." Gonna stop by next Wednesday and take some pictures, but that's on the way to going hunting up north, so I won't even be able post them up for another week after that. DAMN it this waiting is killing me. I've been without my 4th gen baby for almost 4 months now, but I get the feeling the wait is gonna be worth it. And of course, when I get it back, it's going to be time for brake upgrades. Already got the rear arms and disc setup and a 4040 prop valve, but now I have this too:

Modified S2000 calipers and custom-drilled rotors to match. For $400, can't really go wrong. Unless they don't fit, obviously lol. And they still need to be powdercoated candy purple, of course. :D

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome man! I can't wait to see the finished paint job. Brakes look good too.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so it doesn't really look that different. All the parts are still off of it, but Rico dug up a really clean hood and two clean fenders. One door and the hatch is still off too, but all are straightened out and primed up.

The roof is all purty and ready for paint

And one of the new fenders and the inside of the new quarters

So it's moving along. Got new carpet for it too, should be a pretty nice place inside when it's all done. :D

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Very nice! Paint is such a tedious project...

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Whew! I just got thru reading from the 1st posting. Coming along nicely! And the wheels remind me of the mags I had on my BMX when I was 10 (ok, just realized that was 27 years ago. I'm freakin' OLD). With all the parts you've amassed, bet it's gonna fly together once the bodywork/paint is complete.

emerican

Registered VIP
ive been subscribed to this since i first found it i cannot wait to see this bad boy finished.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Whew! I just got thru reading from the 1st posting. Coming along nicely! And the wheels remind me of the mags I had on my BMX when I was 10 (ok, just realized that was 27 years ago. I'm freakin' OLD). With all the parts you've amassed, bet it's gonna fly together once the bodywork/paint is complete.
You know, that's exactly why I got them. I had some of those on a GT when I was like 14 (bike was already pretty old), but I thought they were the coolest wheels ever.

Last edited:

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive been subscribed to this since i first found it i cannot wait to see this bad boy finished.
You and me both. I miss my damn car already. I was hoping to get it back before the snow starts (was thinking of going just a little lower), but I doubt that's gonna happen lol