Hendo's EF hatch project

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That looks like so much fun!! I've always wanted to do that. Never lived near a road course though :(
It was extremely scary at first, but I had a hard time sleeping for a couple days afterward, it was so fun.

That's what it's all about, pushing your car and yourself to the limit and finding a balance between the two.
I wouldn't have believed 108hp could be as satisfying as it was.

That sounds like a blast man! I can't wait to take my car out to a track.
Do it. So much fun.

Just went through the thread all the way from page 1! So much dedication to the car! It's clear you can see how much work, time, money, etc has been put into this car. I'll be waiting for more progress and lots of track pics. Also maybe post up some lap times each time you goto the track so you can see how much you and your car improve each time. I wish there was a road course near me, I'd have to travel out of state to goto a road course.
Getting on the track in an actual race is, shall we say, significantly more expensive than doing an "instructional" meet like I went to. Lap times would be fun, but most laps you have people holding you up, or passing you (have to slow a little and let them by), so it wouldn't be super accurate most runs. BUT, they did have those VLOGIC boxes for a few bucks, they'd mount them in your car, give you lap times and max sideways g's etc. I might do it next time I'm out there, I'm curious to see what my average mph is.

thats pretty cool. no matter the car its always fun to be in the revs and going sideways. when do you plan on going again?
Well there was an event on Labor Day called Wangfest that I was thinking about, it's a test and tune thing, but the car was overheating a little. I guess it didn't enjoy being kept in 3rd gear with the throttle pinned for 20 minutes straight lol. I already had plans to go out of town though, so it's looking like next summers WMHM. Got some time to plan.

Congrats man, nice to see a EF on the track. Next time get some nice tires with more grip before you do any engine mods. Stay stock until your skills surpass your power needs. Better to learn slow than mess up fast. Try some Falken Rt615, Bridgestone RE11, or Dunlop Star Spec. Have fun, PM with any questions.
The chassis was already undermatched to the engine even with the Kumho Ecsta ASTs I have on there. I'm a total noob and even I could notice that. Given some significant angle on the wheels, the motor wasn't up to the task of accelerating in a turn, you have to start winding it out to get accelerating again. I know I was a little slow going into some of the turns, but the motor doesn't have enough grunt to help with that kind of mistake once the wheel is turned. Still, I'm likely to race that motor till it blows up, then build a mild stage 1ish type of z6. The extra power above 4k rpms should do the trick. The longest straight on Gingerman is about 1300 feet, although turn 10 is a sweeper leading into it that I carried good speed through, let me almost hit 100mph before braking for turn 11 (it was the full track, not the shortened if you're familiar). I don't think a ton more power would be very useful on a short track like Gingerman. Since it's the only one within driving distance, I'm probably going to let that dictate how much hp is "enough" lol. Tires and chassis bracing are definitely the next upgrades before a motor though.

Like I said above, the car was overheating a little bit, so the next mod is going to be a Mishimoto racing radiator, twin slim fans, thermostat and silicon hoses. Unfortunately, the $600 budget for these parts is now going instead to a hatch and rear bumper assembly for the 96, but since I won't be racing again for a bit, that's ok with me. For now. Drivers seat with lowered rails (jamming a helmet against the ceiling sucks), radiator, chassis bracing, tires, and motor (eventually). Then I'll have nothing to do but enjoy it and post pics in the "show off your ride" section. :D

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
8/4/13 I used my first set of ultra sport tires(Bridgestone RE11). It's unreal how they hug the road, you have kuhmo ecstas they are like hockey pucks compared to a 180 treadware. But do recommend Bridgestones or Toyo R1R(heard good things). Sucks its over heating, but that means upgrade time.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Threw in a new thermostat today, beat on it for an hour and no overheating. Replaced the water pump and timing belt when the Y7 went in, didn't think to do the thermostat of course. Bastard thing would've been a little easier to get at with the motor out of the car lol. Thankfully tho, some fixes are cheap and relatively simple. Still gonna do the racing radiator upgrade eventually, but at least I can keep enjoying it for now.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thinking about upping my wheel game when work picks up again in the spring. 15" Meister S1 2 piece wheels in white with a polished lip. Thoughts?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree, but not something I could do. I can't be spending more than 1/2 the purchase price of my car just for a set of wheels.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I agree, but not something I could do. I can't be spending more than 1/2 the purchase price of my car just for a set of wheels.
Oh, we are WELL past doing what's economically responsible with this car. I've probably got three times into it versus what it's worth. At least. Like I've said, I'm going to be buried in this thing.

To me, if the exterior is relatively stock like mine, a high quality wheel is what sets it off. Knockoffs look fine from 50 feet away, but I've taken it to exactly one show, and anyone that was interested in it walks right up to within arm's reach of the car to inspect it. Nobody believes it's as clean as it looks, it just doesn't happen here in Michigan, they've all rusted to s**t or are half bondo. So there's just no faking the funk up close. The vintage Enkeis look decent, are fun and are even period-correct if you're into that, but they're not baller. ;)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't think I explained as well as I should have. I bought the car relatively cheap, so yeah there is the whole cost vs value issue. But, it's really the fact that if my wife knows how much I spent on wheels for my cheap ass car, I'll be LIVING in the damned thing.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think I explained as well as I should have. I bought the car relatively cheap, so yeah there is the whole cost vs value issue. But, it's really the fact that if my wife knows how much I spent on wheels for my cheap ass car, I'll be LIVING in the damned thing.
So if you had a more expensive car, more expensive wheels are all of a sudden okay? Lol. That'd be a funny way to live life. You don't have a mansion, so you better not have nice things in the house. (An exaggeration, I know, but same concept)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have VERY little to work with, even with tax return, due to high medical bills related to my autistic son. I'm sure everyone goes through the same process of deciding "if I have X amount of funds, should I use it to buy part A, or use the same funds to instead but parts B,C, AND D?"
Plus, my wife doesn't have the emotional attachment to the car that I do, so when the part in question doesn't really perform much better than the part it's replacing, and the cost of said part is high, kinda hard to justify the expense with her.
So in MY situation, paying that cost wouldn't be worth it, no matter how cool it looks or how much I'd like it.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So if you had a more expensive car, more expensive wheels are all of a sudden okay? Lol. That'd be a funny way to live life. You don't have a mansion, so you better not have nice things in the house. (An exaggeration, I know, but same concept)
pretty funny, though, the whole "mansion" example. Yeah, obviously you can have nice things even though you don't live in an expensive house, but don't you scratch your head when someone drives a brand new Escalade but still lives with their Mom because they can't afford rent?

Sorry, Hendo. I didn't mean to jack your thread.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh, we are WELL past doing what's economically responsible with this car. I've probably got three times into it versus what it's worth. At least. Like I've said, I'm going to be buried in this thing.

To me, if the exterior is relatively stock like mine, a high quality wheel is what sets it off. Knockoffs look fine from 50 feet away, but I've taken it to exactly one show, and anyone that was interested in it walks right up to within arm's reach of the car to inspect it. Nobody believes it's as clean as it looks, it just doesn't happen here in Michigan, they've all rusted to s*** or are half bondo. So there's just no faking the funk up close. The vintage Enkeis look decent, are fun and are even period-correct if you're into that, but they're not baller. ;)
Nice post man, inspirational. :thumbup: It Does look clean man. Same thing goes for Illinois with cars rusted up.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, I agree that getting the real stuff is worth it. Better fitment, quality, and just all around better. And I don't know about you, but I'm kinda partial to EF hatches lowered with some CF-48s (without the aero covers. My brother likes the covers, but everyone has different tastes)

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I saw an ED6 up on a snow bank this morning, front tires off the ground, front end all jacked up (looked like it was clean before the accident). Made me sad, and also glad that I park my s**t for the winter. Wish I could've gotten a pic.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorted the old parts, pitched the ruined, saved the salvageable. Lots of interior trim bits that I might be happy to have in the future. And of course, now I have steelies in 13, 14 and 15".

Found this on the floor, put it to good use XD

After the EK gets dumped and squared away, going to start the bracing/cooling stuff for this one.