Hendo's EF hatch project

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
New rear wiper arm (kind of an obscure piece) with nut and an exhaust hangar:

And you know you <3 steelies XD it's dark out, sorry about the crappy quality:

The caps are starting to peel and look shitty again. They need some sanding love and some paint. I'm thinking new-sneaker white and maybe a candy purple H. Gonna get some purple extended lugs too. We'll see how ridiculous I feel and how much I like the steelies in the daytime. They need some scrubbing and fresh paint for sure in any case.

Got some new exhaust manifold and valve cover nuts on the way too. The exhaust ones are wads of crud and the chrome has peeled from a couple of the valve cover nuts.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Daylight with the steelies:

I don't know if I'm going to bother futzing with painting the steelies. If my next check is decent, I'm just gonna spring for some rims.

Exhaust and valve cover nuts will be here Thursday, just ordered an OEM front bumper filler. Last body part to get is a driver's fender and I'll have all the metal I'll need to properly handle the rot.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tha old and new:

Just tha new:

One less weather-destroyed piece on the exterior. I don't know if you can tell in the pic in the last post, but I painted the upper and lower trim around the windows. The passenger side was about half bare metal, and the drivers side was about 90% bare. The lower piece was cracked up badly and looked like hell. Not any more. If I knew how to weld I'd have SO much more done lol

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Jesus, I hope this guy comes through. I've got a line on a complete D16Z6 motor with tranny, working condition (we'll see) with 140k miles on it. Once (if?) I put pics up, I'll tell you how much I paid. ;)

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
With $100,000 I could build myself a new 91 Si lol:

Amazes me, the pile of parts that's sitting in that Ohio warehouse. Every manufacturer should have an online website like Majestic has. Their exploded diagrams are win, but I'm getting addicted to replacing parts XD

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dammit:

I get the motor all buttoned up after popping that bastard tip off and now my clutch takes a s**t. I adjusted the cable as tight as it'll go but I get full takeup two inches from the floor. FML.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looking great, I know how it can be when parts break in the middle of getting things done, I was doing the brakes & realized my calipers were leaking fluid, had to buy both.

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
Great progress as always. I think the real reason that the headers didnt fit is because they sell them all the same for every d-series. I have ebay headers on my EG 4 door and I have no issues with the clearnace or the o2 bung but like i said thats prolly because the different body.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looking great, I know how it can be when parts break in the middle of getting things done, I was doing the brakes & realized my calipers were leaking fluid, had to buy both.
Finally made an appointment to get the clutch replaced. My buddy that helped me rebuild the turbo (in his trans shop) is going to install a good quality clutch for less than I paid for the last POS that only lasted about 94k miles. Well, I do drive the hell out of it, but still. Shoulda lasted at least 120k.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great progress as always. I think the real reason that the headers didnt fit is because they sell them all the same for every d-series. I have ebay headers on my EG 4 door and I have no issues with the clearnace or the o2 bung but like i said thats prolly because the different body.
Yeah I shoulda figured it wouldn't fit mine well since it was listed as being for "88-00 civics." They're not exactly what you'd call identical lol

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice work so far man! i kinda miss the hubcaps lol
Thanks! It's slow but steady. I got gooned on the motor I was trying to buy. Guy just stop responding to my emails (the jackhole). I'm looking at another one that's only about an hour from here, but it's twice what I was gonna pay and doesn't come with a transmission. Nothing wrong with my trans, but would've been nice to have a spare.

I also sort of miss the white sneaker stock look of the caps, but they were starting to peel lol. If this guy doesn't like my offer on the motor, I might get some rims in two weeks (next paycheck) to soothe my spending/progress itch. It's been sitting for two weeks now, and I don't like it. PLUS I've got the rubber for the rims anyway, might as well put it to work.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got the second motor, going to try and pick it up this week. Guy wanted $750 and I got him down to $500. Good, clean running motor with 160k on it. I think I might just put the motor in unmodified so as not to have to replace the clutch in my old motor, and if I'm lucky, it won't burn as much oil lol. It's not as little as I wanted to pay, but it's supposed to run nicely so I may as well get some use out of it before I tear it apart. THIS is some real progress, been looking for months now and I didn't want to pay the $750 I see everywhere for a running motor (or way more, in some cases). We shall see, and I'll post pics when it's in my garage. =)

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh man, I might be making a dumb mistake. Looking at a Tahitian green 92 bubble with a blown head gasket for $500... It's got MUCH less rust than my current car, and it has a y7 motor swap. Interior is nice like mine but it's going to need a new cluster. And 13" rims ftl XD

Still, could be a good learning experience. If I buy it, I'll have to start another thread lol

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh s**t. The girl just got back to me. Looks like it's mine. A motor and another project car, all in one week. I'm going to have to get busy real soon. I'm really happy works been kicking my ass, I've put in 38 hours in 3 days. Yeah, it's office work, but that's a LOT of computer staring. =)

95excommuter

5+ Year Member
Sweet build, wish I would have been able to find a hatch when I got my 95 ex, I don't know why but I love the way they look, would love to pick one up for a project, and when finished garge my ex and fix it up proper, F-*#in work and havin to drive there.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sweet build, wish I would have been able to find a hatch when I got my 95 ex, I don't know why but I love the way they look, would love to pick one up for a project, and when finished garge my ex and fix it up proper, F-*#in work and havin to drive there.
Thanks! It's coming along slowly, but this week, despite my self-imposed distraction, I FINALLY got a frikkin' motor for my ED. Supposed to run nice, we'll see. I still have to go pick it up, it's about an hour away. Renting a pickup is gonna be another $120, mo money mo money mo money. And I'm with you, I just love frikkin' hatches. Not sure if that counts as something being wrong with me or not lol. I'd like to garage one and DD the other, probably going to put the ED in the garage and go apeshi*t with the motor build. Eventually. I just like driving it so much, I hope I like the EH as much after I go through stage one upgrades..

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I got water on the ED and fed it after midnight too...

I think it's a problem and I'm kind of glad they didn't make the EK in Tahitian Green Pearl XD

And here's the goofy-ness:

And this isn't a Y7 intake, is it?

I thought they had that weird carburetor-looking top-loader intake.. Anyway. I got it for $600 and it's not running yet. It sat for a month and turns over and almost caught before the juice got too weak. The girl I bought it from said it was overheating a little and then got REALLY hot when she last parked it and puked coolant everywhere. So, it's probably going to need a radiator or water pump or both, and definitely a head gasket (if her mechanic wasn't just trying to screw her over). I'm going to dump water in it tomorrow and see where it runs out. But guess what? Since it needs a new head gasket, I'll have an excuse to use the extra Z6 head I've got sitting in my garage. I'll go from zero VTEC to VTEC x2 lmao

So comments prz, these are the last pics of the EH that will appear in this thread without the ED next to it.