How do offsets work?

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So... how do you measure offsets? I know it determines how far your wheel sticks out in your car, but how can you tell by the offset if the wheel will go past your fender?

Insidentally, what's the stock offset on a 2000 SiR (Si in the US)?

.:SiR:.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think its 4x100... but im not completely sure how it works, i myself would like to know. . .

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, you're thinking of... the bolt patter: 4x100, 4x108, 5x100, 5x112, 5x114.3.

That basiaclly means that you have 4 (or 5) bolts and that they are spaced 100mm (or whatever) around. SiR's have 4x100.

I'm talking about the offset... it's usally somewhere around 40mm or so (35-45mm)... and it's used to determine how much to out to the side your wheels will stick out. Have you ever noticed how some cars have their wheels sticking out past their fender? That's due to offset (improper offset mind you).

SpitfireEX

He lives in my closet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thought it was 40.........that could just be me though......oh and i have a ex

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aw, yes you are right...

all i know about that is you can get wheel spacers if you want your rims to stick out a bit more... :what: but thats as far as i know...

SpitfireEX

He lives in my closet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the off set has to do with the wheel and tire more than the car i think.............like if you have a tire with a 7 inch width the offset is 45 a 8 inch is like 32 mm so the total difference is insaide edge reamins the same the outside edge protrudes 26mm more ( i found a calculator for this)

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So a stock SiR has a 40mm offset? So if I want wheels to stick out a bit I want more of on offset or less?

Wait, let's try this another way... if I have an 8" wheel, with a 40mm offset, then the wheel sticks ou 4"-40mm from the hub, is that right? Why do they have to mix metric and imperial? That's dumb.

Oh, and spacers are BAD... don't use them, it causes unnecessary strain on your bolts and can cause premature wear and in extreme cases lose of wheels!

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
in for later. i'm interested. i do know, however, that 15"-17" superleggera wheels (7" wide) have a 37mm offset for 92-03 civics (4x100). while the 18" wheels (also 7" wide) have a 42mm offset...

the same wheels, on an itr, have a 45mm offset.

ok now i'm confused.

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe bolt patterns have something to do with it since civics are 4x100 and the ITR is 5x???

twistd

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by SiR
Maybe bolt patterns have something to do with it since civics are 4x100 and the ITR is 5x???

no, it has nothing to do with the bolt pattern.
not from me: "The offset of a wheel is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the true centerline of the rim. A positive offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is positioned in front of the true centerline of the rim / tire assembly. This in effect brings the tire in to the fender well more. Conversely, a negative offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is behind the true centerline of the rim / tire assembly. This will cause the tire to stick out away from the vehicle."

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cool, so I was right before?

Originally posted by SiR
Wait, let's try this another way... if I have an 8" wheel, with a 40mm offset, then the wheel sticks ou 4"-40mm from the hub, is that right? Why do they have to mix metric and imperial? That's dumb
So does anyone know how wide a SiR's wheel well is from the hub to the outer fender?

EL PAALO

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This thread has been very confusing.

Spitfire, why didn't you link him to tirerack so he could see the pic too?
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm

Basically, a higher offset will be tucked in more. A lower offset will be closer to the fender. Since offset is based on wheel width, 2 wheels with different widths, but the same offset will fit differently on the vehicle.

Here's a couple examples -

17x7 +40 will not be as close to the fender as 17x7 +35.

If you go from a 16x7 +40 to a 17x7.5 +40, the wheel/tire will be 6mm closer to the fender and 6mm closer to the suspension. Clearance decreases evenly on both sides because you only increased width.

If you go from a 16x6.5 +40 to a 17x7.5 +45, the wheel/tire will be 8mm closer to the fender and 18mm closer to the suspension.

Hopefully that helps at least a little.

ben

excommunicated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so what sould I get? +40 or +45? I might be getting some 17s that have +45. is that ok of a civic.

twistd

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if what you wrote means 4inches minus 40mm, then yes you were correct. (hahah sorry didnt understand what you wrote until now so i ignored it before)
the sir has 15x6 wheels with an offset of 38.
use this guide, it'll be easier:
Wheel Offset Calculator

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Awesome... that helped a lot! Thank you all!

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Spacer's are not a good idea... if the wheels are not designed to fit your car, then there are extra forces involved that should not be. I wouldn't reckomend it if I were you.

BMARTINEZ

can anybody find a picture showing the measurements of the negative offsets. so i can get an idea of what to get

either -32,-64,-76,-24???

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
10 year thread bump FTMFW!!