how to gain acceleration to 99 civic ex?

lewis42189

5+ Year Member
so i have a 99 civic ex with the d-series engine!!!! ive had the car about a year now and the only thing i have done to it is a cold air intake and thats it........ and to make matters worse its an automatic......:( :x........ so now instead of buying a new engine i jus want to use that money to fix mine up.... so now i need some addvise how how i can get horse power realy quick but more importantly i need ACCELERATION so freaking bad so pppppllllleeeaaassseee help me i need adviise bad!!!!!:lol:

wathappenedex

5+ Year Member
only way to get power for your d series is to boost it but still ud b dealing with auto d series turbo but better then stock

lewis42189

5+ Year Member
yah i thought about that but im trying to get some of the cheapers things first like maybe underdrive pulleys..... or idk if i can do it but i thought about since the si motor is a 1.6 liter and mine is too i thought about jus taking the head off of a si and putting it in my car...... so idk what do ug uys think????

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Si is a DOHC B-series. EX is a SOHC D-Series. You can't interchange heads / blocks.

You're better off with a swap, turbo, or nitrous. Don't waste money on bolt-ons.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
change all your fluids and replace things that are not done yet under major maintanance like plugs, wires, dist cap, tranny oil, pcv valve, engine oil....etc

lewis42189

5+ Year Member
well idk i just dont understand exactly why u couldnt chenge them out the whole point of the dual over head cam is so that one can work the intake manifold and the other work the headers but on a d-series engine its job is to work both but like i said there both 1.6 liter idk in my head it makes sense but yah any other ideas???

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well idk i just dont understand exactly why u couldnt chenge them out the whole point of the dual over head cam is so that one can work the intake manifold and the other work the headers but on a d-series engine its job is to work both but like i said there both 1.6 liter idk in my head it makes sense but yah any other ideas???
You have something similar to this...

You want to slap this head on it....

Do you see why it wouldn't work?

Back to your original question... Do what Kaotic suggests and change out your fluids. If that's not enough for you, swap in a 5-spd tranny and boost.

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get rid off the automatic, get a stick shift one, and then.............start messing with it.

victor.m

5+ Year Member
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

You cannot put a DOHC head on a SOHC block, they are completely and ENTIRELY different, sorry

Also, your car is automatic. Civics have crap low end torque and good high end torque, they are rev happy. Your AT transmission shifts before you get most of the power out of your car, so it's useless doing most/any of this. Only situations where I saw any real pull in my old '94 EJ1 with a JDM D15B AT (comparable to your D16y8 in terms of power) was when I was about 30 and put it in WOT and it downshifted and surged/pulled. But then it shifted right after it hit VTEC, and again, leaving me in the slow.

Want it to be faster? Go do a 5spd swap, then boost. You have a D-series, they are not made to be fast, but respond very well to turbo. Or get a b-series.

I think what people fail to realize is that Civics are economic gas savers, always have been, minus the Si. They are not made to be fast cars OOB or with I/H/E, it's the civic community that make them fast because we love our cars and like speed, and they are a great base to work on.

Anyhow, hope this helped.

gmanauseal

5+ Year Member
D Series Motor and B Series Motor are not interchangeable accept the fact.
Go with a turbo or get a new car.

lewis42189

5+ Year Member
thanks everybod appreciate all the feed back but other than a turbo so u guys thing there are some bolt on stuff i can add before doing that so that when i do actualy get the money for a turbo kit it will be just that much faster???? like underdrive pulleys???? let me know guys and like i said i appreciate all the help ALOT!!!!

lewis42189

5+ Year Member
ohhhh and does any body have any good sites that has a whole complete turbo kit/ setup with everything i need for i hate to say it but for inexspensive............ i know when it comes to buying stuff like that, that u dont want to go all cheap on and that u want to spend alot of money on that........ but lets face it with the economy the way it is it effects all of us....... and i am most deffinatly not made of money!!!! so keep hitting me up and letting me know thanks guys.......

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
"exceleration" :???:

spray it.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're not made of money, maybe you shouldn't spend money on your car... A car is a hobby. Your life is more important.

lewis42189

5+ Year Member
with all do repsect guys im not going to to prob ever spray my car only cause i think its for cheaters....... thats jus me.......

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Spraying is for cheaters? wtf?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
spraying is simply big power on a budget. youre going to spend thousands more on motor swaps and turbo kits to make the same power

im not biased towards spray, i dont even have it and never have. i have a built and boosted b18. but then again i had $6000 budget

lewis42189

5+ Year Member
yah ure right it is a hobbie but i love cars and i like doing what i can to it the whole point is that i am not trying to be a damn porsche 997 i jus mainly want acceleration so i can have little fun on the high way!!! and im open to any idea cause at the end of the day its what im gunna do and what im gunna pay for.... lol but in the future i am for sure jus gunna swap it out for a b-series and turbo it or just do add ons to this and then turbo it and buy another car as my daily driver and jus take this out on weekends and stuff like that.......