1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

How To: Interior Painting 101

Discussion in 'Interior / Audio / Electronics DIY How-To's' started by connies96hatchie, May 8, 2006.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Eran

Eran It's on ass-backwards. Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Good writeup connie .....

you know some ricers are going to use this for the wrong things :lol:

2. connies96hatchie

connies96hatchie Reinvent Your Shell! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I know... you can only imagine all the emails I have recieved already. :evil:

3. chartinael

chartinael New Member 5+ Year Member

real nice write up .... I didn't even sand my plastic pieces ... I used dupli-color plastic primer and plain acryl-paint for the kickplanels and window switch garnishes and shifter console (as I cannot afford the Ek4 black interior right now) and it worked well ....

kristin

4. bonestockcx

bonestockcx Honda Freak 5+ Year Member

This is how to do your interior no questions asked hands down!!!

5. Ian01ex

Ian01ex New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Looks damn good! I hate the tan interior that came with the blue 01-03 civic... I think this is a project that is gonna sit on my back burner untill school is out. Extremely detailed writeup and great advice!! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

6. OVNi_CIVIC

OVNi_CIVIC Revise Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

wouldnt the paint come off the dashboard easily, because it is spongey?? How well does the paint stay on the vinal surfaces? I have tan interior and want to do i black, so im considering this project, but because the tan is light, any little chip in the paint will be very noticable....thanks

7. JMan8108

JMan8108 SOHC VTEC SON!!!! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Great write-up. I just got done doing my shifter/e-brake console in black and it came out flawless. Im going to slowly be doing the whole interior over the next few weeks. Im planning to get some Recaro knock offs this summer but until then I was wondering if you thought that painting the seats with the duplicolor fabric stuff would work till then? Thanks a ton for the time and effort put into this.

8. redcivicls95

redcivicls95 redcivicls95 Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

THats amazing

9. dyce590

dyce590 True Life:I drive a Civic Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

sry to revive an old thread but i wanna know the status of the interior on ur white hatch. any chips? flaws? how often have you had to do any touch ups. i was thinking about doing this as my last summer DIY this year before summer ends

10. Civic11

Civic11 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

I know, this sounds too good to be true. I have ugly blue in my hatch and this would def be cheaper than replacing all the parts out with interior parts a the "JY". Hows the color doing? I'd hate to do this only to have to do this as a yearly routine because of chipping and the like.

Despite my "cynicalness" it looks great.

11. EF Honda EF

EF Honda EF Registered User

after you spray the primer you should take a tack rag and go over the primer. picks up all the over spray and any dirt, allows it to be a whole lot smoother.
    Seats are 12mm bolts

12. MidnightCivicEX

MidnightCivicEX EK Ferio WIP Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

what colors have you done in the other cars?

if i were to do this, i would probably paint the carpet red... like type-r.. im afraid it would be too ricey though? like, maybe just go authetic jdm and buy the red carpet...

13. civicSIcoupe

civicSIcoupe All Day, Every Day Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

this tutorial was awesome connie
    i read it then instantly wanted to to a project like that on my civic, so i did
    i sanded then primed all the stuff first though, and i used clear coat after painting to protect the paint and make it more glossy, i found it worked extremely well though. without this tutorial i wouldnt have probably done it so thanks! it makes the car look so much newer and crisper and cleaner, good job.

14. prodigy803

prodigy803 New Member 5+ Year Member

ok yea i should have joined this forum earlier!!!!! so I painted my carpet and my floor mats last weekend because well me and my friend were bored... it turned out decent but the carpet feels gritty almost but I used fabric paint that I bought from Home Depot. is there anyway to fix this?

15. prodigy803

prodigy803 New Member 5+ Year Member

Also another thing for your floor boards what about all the wiring and the Ebrake lines that run through? I have a 99 CX hb and all I took out everything besides the panels and drivers seat.

16. Feli

Feli New Member 5+ Year Member

on m y 88 civic i got sum carpet like s**t on my doors,how can i clean that n what kinda paint can i sue on it?

17. TigBitties

TigBitties Frame Bangin Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

I did this and painted the whole inside of my car black. back seats, headliner, and all panels. i used duplicolor adhesion promoter and then duplicolor fabric/vinyl paint and rustoleum plastic paint. looks way nicer. i actually got a couple friends to want to do this now

18. mastashea20

mastashea20 New Member 5+ Year Member

just did my rear today came out good but i was dumb and put rubbing compound on rear pannels and its a lil cloudy in the cracks but hopefully it will go away.

19. Aaron.

Aaron. New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

great write up

20. AlexJDM

AlexJDM New Member 5+ Year Member

did this to my car .... great stuff