How To Make my Civic Fast

BossOfBoost

Hi Guys,

Ive got a 98 Civic EX with the VTec 1.6L (5 Speed Man), and Im ready to boost it up. Here is my question, Without Supercharging or Turbocharing the car, How can i make it faster. I plan on buying a Venom 400 Performance chip to have a 30% Increase in power. So what all can i change and add to increase power. Thanks =)

Lopez619

Hector
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi Guys,

Ive got a 98 Civic EX with the VTec 1.6L (5 Speed Man), and Im ready to boost it up. Here is my question, Without Supercharging or Turbocharing the car, How can i make it faster. I plan on buying a Venom 400 Performance chip to have a 30% Increase in power. So what all can i change and add to increase power. Thanks =)
if you want real power the only things you can do are boost, swap, or nitrous. that "performance Chip" isn't going to do a damn thing.
sell it and buy a fast car... lol j/k
this

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that "performace" chip will do more damage than good. Since you plan to go F/I at the end of the summer why not hold off on the mods and use that money towards a badass turbo sohc set up :thumbup:

BossOfBoost

Yeah. Well its either I make the civic fast as hell, Or i buy my uncles twin turbo 94 supra from him for $15K, Not sure yet

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would say intake, intake mani, rebuild engine, and new headers? :what: Idk bro, hope that helps...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would say intake, intake mani, rebuild engine, and new headers? :what: Idk bro, hope that helps...
Won't do anything and is a complete waste of time if he is going turbo.

Throwing bolt ons at it when you are going turbo soon is a huge waste of money and time. They are all for looks and don't do much in terms of HP. Same as the chip. 30% increase! That is a false claim and an advertising gimmick just like K&N claiming something like a 15hp gain. Won't get anywhere near that.

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah. Still noob about cars. I'll go back and do my homework... :smackself

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that "performace" chip will do more damage than good. Since you plan to go F/I at the end of the summer why not hold off on the mods and use that money towards a badass turbo sohc set up :thumbup:
x2. Save your money for the turbo & parts and don't get derailed in search of other power gains, because really--in light of your upcoming F/I plans--there are none of significance to be mentioned. Everything else you buy should simply be to compliment the turbo setup you decide to go with once it's in place and running well.

Of course, talking you uncle down a bit in price wouldn't be a bad move, either...

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hehe take out ur back seats and go vrooooooooOOOOoooOOom
....no seriously i took out my rear seats today for wiring and stuff...check my build thread :cool: and it litterally felt faster when i was driving lol.

darksolderx

5+ Year Member
lol these threads ALWAYS pop up and the answers are ALWAYS the same sell your car, boost, swap, nitrous, everything else is a minimum gain and just not real smart on a stock d series motor

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol these threads ALWAYS pop up and the answers are ALWAYS the same sell your car, boost, swap, nitrous, everything else is a minimum gain and just not real smart on a stock d series motor
:word: But they're awesome for upping post count, though. I love it!

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I say but that supra as long as you know its in good shape. Ah i want one. If only i wasnt a poor ass senior in high school. Supra = Fast

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
I would say get the supra tt if it is in good condition as 15g is a steal for a tt supra 93-98. But for the civic probable the best thing would be a bigger intake manifold, 3inch exhaust, bigger fuel injector, and spark plug/wires/iginition. This is our best bet and the better as all this is still in preparation for the turbo. No air intake or header as all this is going to waste when you turbo it.