How to tell if you have a VTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takiyon

5+ Year Member
I have a 1999 Civic EX SOHC D16Y8 Motor and the Valve cover does not say that I have VTEC. Do I? I have looked in the service manual and I says yes but my mechanic says no. What to do? How do I tell? Any help would be appreciated.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you have vtec. there is a solenoid with a lil green plug in the side of it. the green plug is the oil pressure switch. im sure someone will post a pic with it circled for you.

edit- mechanic is a retard

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
never take your car to a shop unless its honda, and just because a civic has a "vtec" valve cover does not mean its vtec. thats just like saying a wigger is black.

Chief Slapaho

Registered Tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha wow dude, get rid of that dumb ass mechanic. like stated above, if you dont work on your car yourself, then take it either to honda or an import shop

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
never take your car to a shop unless its honda, and just because a civic has a "vtec" valve cover does not mean its vtec. thats just like saying a wigger is black.
Mine says "VTEC" on the spark plug wire cover on the valve cover, does that count?

yeah look for the solenoids. single cam with vtec have it on the intake side ONLY, and dual over head cam vtec engines have them on the intake and exhaust sides of the head, or you can listen for a change in noise througout the rpm by fullthrottle. or look up the engine block/head number on the front of the block and check it

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
SOHC VTEC is bullshit and weak, might as well say you dont have VTEC.

And not he mechanic might not be a retard, he just doesnt specialize in Hondas so he doesnt know the difference between a Y8 and a Y7 big deal. I bet he knows a butt load more than some of you guys on here.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SOHC VTEC is bullshit and weak, might as well say you dont have VTEC.

And not he mechanic might not be a retard, he just doesnt specialize in Hondas so he doesnt know the difference between a Y8 and a Y7 big deal. I bet he knows a butt load more than some of you guys on here.
were you the mechanic or something?:roll:

tekniq

5+ Year Member
it should sound like...waaaaaaaaaa...WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it should sound like...waaaaaaaaaa...WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

thats funny.

this doesnt count if your throttle is half way in and then midway through acceleration you stomp on it.

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the only time i've heard vtec on my car was with a straight pipe.. it just got super loud at some point after 4,000 rpms and didn't really move anywhere. i couldn't even hear it with a muffler, so its hard to tell.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
were you the mechanic or something?:roll:
Thats a stupid retort.
thats funny.

this doesnt count if your throttle is half way in and then midway through acceleration you stomp on it.
LOL... Another way to fake the funk is to blast the A/C, and turn on the recurculation button, stomp on it and at around 5000RPM's, turn them both off. My little brother showed me this, I was laughing my ass off. :D

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That is one dumb mechanic or he's uneducate bafoon. My mechanic on Twin Peak gas station up near Twin Peak area in San Francisco, ca is very good with His work.

Ex motor is a small version of Vtec, something a baby Vtec.

civicturbo91

professional bitchslapper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you dont catch traction until like 4th gear then you have vtak. other symptons of vtak are huge wings, apc stickers, and pulling like 4 g's on your 60-100 pulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.