Not open for further replies.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Most mechanics don't have a clue what a VTEC solenoid is.

Big freaking deal. How often do mechanics have to work with the VTEC system?

Look for the solenoid or check the block code. You said yours was a D16Y8. You have VTEC. The mechanic probably just doesn't specialize in Hondas. I'm sure he can still handle clutch jobs, gaskets and oil changes and such.

The VTEC solenoid is on the passenger rear corner of the valve cover.

There are several recent threads about this on Honda-Tech right now which include photos.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2366068
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2366127

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
most mechanics have access to alldata. they could easily find out but instead said no.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
most mechanics have access to alldata. they could easily find out but instead said no.
Most shade tree mechanics don't. And most mechanics don't care to learn about somethign just to answer your questions if it's not going to lead to any sort of repairs.

If there was a CEL and he read it and there was some sort of problem with VTEC, then sure, maybe a mechanic would look it up then. But otherwise I don't see a need for the average mechanic to learn about it really.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most shade tree mechanics don't. And most mechanics don't care to learn about somethign just to answer your questions if it's not going to lead to any sort of repairs.

If there was a CEL and he read it and there was some sort of problem with VTEC, then sure, maybe a mechanic would look it up then. But otherwise I don't see a need for the average mechanic to learn about it really.
true. you got any info for the jdm d15b for me? i know you have all that crazy info. just wanna know specs and compatible parts.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
true. you got any info for the jdm d15b for me? i know you have all that crazy info. just wanna know specs and compatible parts.
I know there's three different types of D15Bs, but I'm not really into any of them. Most D-series seem to have a lot of interchangeable parts.

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine says "VTEC" on the spark plug wire cover on the valve cover, does that count?
the vtec valve cover only came on the 95 d16z6, but its interchangable with all the d 1.6s

you might want to see if you have the right ecu too p2p would be the one for your case, your mototr could have the vtec, but if modded, the guys mightve changed stuff, its pointless anyways...

vtec is this thing asian kids made up to sound cool!

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my check engine light showed up as a "spool solenoid" code.. a.k.a vtec solenoid. just messing around with the scanner and decided to unplug the vtec solenoid to see what the code came up as. i went to every auto parts store in my area and the only people who knew what a vtec solenoid was were a couple younger honda guys. i'm pretty sure its a dealer item anyway.

2000civic

5+ Year Member
hey guys just wanted someone opinion. Is it worth it to put a T3 turbo kit on my d16y7 2000 civic sedan??

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
only stupid ricers, AS YOURSELVES, would argue about vtec. :thumbdown

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the vtec valve cover only came on the 95 d16z6, but its interchangable with all the d 1.6s

you might want to see if you have the right ecu too p2p would be the one for your case, your mototr could have the vtec, but if modded, the guys mightve changed stuff, its pointless anyways...

vtec is this thing asian kids made up to sound cool!
I believe the VTEC valve cover came on '94-'95 D16Z6s.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If your car didn't come with this, then you don't have it

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
anytime someone asks about sohc vtec you just say it sucks. just quote yourself in your f**kin sig and call it a day.
How is that going to change anything idiot? I dont get it lol haha.

Most mechanics don't have a clue what a VTEC solenoid is.

Big freaking deal. How often do mechanics have to work with the VTEC system?
:word::word::word::word::word:

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Congratulations, this thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.