Inner tie rod needs replacing - Is it safe to drive?

dancam

Registered VIP
INCORRECT, all of those parts come pregreased, with or without the fitting. It may not seem they are greased but they are. People are dumb so the manufacturer of the part has grease applied to them before packaging.

Most of the time the grease fitting is not already installed, this is due to fitment. They produce the same joint which fits dozens of other applications. Some of those applications require a 90 degree fitting due to not being able to get a grease gun on the fitting after installation. Also the fitting may be in the way during installation and would be damaged.
They come with a little grease yes, but i dont think its enough to drive on. When i pulled the boots back on the ones i bought there was basically nothing there. They dont come pre-assembled because thats cheaper. I haven't seen a ball joint for my civic yet thats greasable and has a 90 degree fitting. They all come with straight ones even though that would be impossible to grease.
To the original question: any grease that says its for wheels or suspension is fine. If it doesn't then make sure it doesnt say its for high temp or low temp or some special application. Make sure its ngli no.2 or ngli gc is the other one i think. Avoid synthetics unless you like oil dripping everywhere out of your grease gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
They come with a little grease yes, but i dont think its enough to drive on. When i pulled the boots back on the ones i bought there was basically nothing there. They dont come pre-assembled because thats cheaper. I haven't seen a ball joint for my civic yet thats greasable and has a 90 degree fitting. They all come with straight ones even though that would be impossible to grease.
To the original question: any grease that says its for wheels or suspension is fine. If it doesn't then make sure it doesnt say its for high temp or low temp or some special application. Make sure its ngli no.2 or ngli gc is the other one i think. Avoid synthetics unless you like oil dripping everywhere out of your grease gun.

As I mentioned those same ball joints are used on several other applications and come with (sometimes) both a 0 degree and 90 degree grease fitting. Depends on what brand you buy. MOOG for example does this as well as MasterPro brand from Orielly's. They do come with a enough grease to ride on. Is it more beneficial to add additional grease until it pushes out of the boot, absolutely.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

I've already driven on it without adding grease. Would any damage occur? I did see some but not much.

Also I've been reading that synthetic greases are top choice like Mobil 1 and Amsoil. No good?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks I replaced them today. Got the toe adjustment as close as possible and will get it aligned soon.

I was wondering, what kind of steel is used for tie rods. Is it cast iron? I noticed they don't really rust
I believe it's just hardened steel that has zinc coating/plating. This is commonly used in electroplating. It could be high strength ductile cast iron. I know several suspension components for heavy trucks (Volvo, Mack, Freightliner, etc) use this alloy.

I've already driven on it without adding grease. Would any damage occur? I did see some but not much.

Also I've been reading that synthetic greases are top choice like Mobil 1 and Amsoil. No good?
Amsoil is possibly the highest tier as far as synthetic oil goes. To be honest I don't use any synthetics anymore. All my cars have way too many miles and I just standard high milage oil which has additives to keep rubber seals plump.

Now when I build an engine and after the break in I will use full synthetic until I either blow it up, sell it, build a new motor. Generally I stop using synthetic when I hit 150,000 miles. Seals start to really show age after 100,000 miles and I like the additives of the high mileage oil at that point. I am sure there are synthetic high mileage oils but when my motors get that many miles they have paid for themselves by then.

Last edited by a moderator:

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry I was referring to synthetic suspension grease. Read random posts online where Mobil 1 and Amsoil were recommended

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sorry I was referring to synthetic suspension grease. Read random posts online where Mobil 1 and Amsoil were recommended
Ya I read that but I tend to go off on a tangent sometimes getting a little off topic. If the parts are new, sure use synthetics. In my experience the standard grease works just as good. You will find that synthetics will have a longer life and higher tolerance to impacts, shearing and high temperatures.

dancam

Registered VIP
Synthetics are better for sure, i wasnt saying they were worse. The problem is the oil and carrier separate quite a lot faster and worse in your grease gun than non synthetic and you get the oil dripping out of your grease gun everywhere. Mobile 1 is apparently the worst for that. If you go with synthetic pull the plunger back to store it. It helps for a bit less leakage. Synthetic just lasts longer and works better in extreme temps, if you grease em every oil change it doesn't really matter what you use.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the info everyone.

Random ponder, instead of a grease gun could I load a syringe with grease and push some into the tie rod with the zerk fitting removed? As it's just a bigger hole without the one way valve

dancam

Registered VIP
Sure, if you can get a good enough seal on the hole and are strong enough to push the grease through. But you would have to clean it, remove the zerk, take grease out of the tube and put it in a syringe with your fingers, push it in, get grease everywhere, re-install zerk.
Thats a lot of work to save $12. I bought a big grease gun for that much a while back and those mini ones you can pick up for $5.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hmm where do I find the mini ones? I have a bunch of syringes laying around that I normally dispense flux out of for soldering electronics that's where the idea came from

Would this grease work? Already have it
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/381276387690

dancam

Registered VIP

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is the viscosity determined by the NLGI rating?

Also think that grease is safe for rubber boots? That always confuses me about which greases are safe with rubber

Btw the lock washer that goes on the inner tie rod which lines up with the grooves of the steering rack, are they supposed to be bent in with a drift after tightening? I didn't do that just lined them up with the grooves and tightened

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Btw the lock washer that goes on the inner tie rod which lines up with the grooves of the steering rack, are they supposed to be bent in with a drift after tightening? I didn't do that just lined them up with the grooves and tightened
Yes that prevents it the tie rod from backing off.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That seems impossible to do after it's been installed to the steering rack? No room to get all sides

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
its really really pain in the ass and you need take your time with it i did it with just minimal and basic tools

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How do you get all four points? Does it swivel once bolted on?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The large section that screws in will not rotate once its seated completed down. You will just have to the flat sections as best you can. You can use large adjustable pliers to get around two of the sides and bend the tabs down or pinch the collar into the depressions.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Think it'll be safe to drive on for a week/100 miles or so till I can? It just snowed here so can't get under my car just yet