Is exhaust really worth it?

morganjoseph

I have a 2002 civic coupe LX 1.7L i dont really care to have a lot of power or else i would of bought a car with a bigger motor. I do want better gas mileage, i just put a short ram intake on it and have been looking into exhaust but is exhaust really worth it? i dont want a loud obnoxious exhaust, the local exhaust company has a set up with magnaflow they could do but how many mpg will i increase is it worth the money for this? thanks for your time.

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
Exhaust isnt really going to help. Best bet is a tune up maybe some bg44 gas additive and better driving habits

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Jose1027

Registered VIP
You should look into the yonaka catback,its not loud and it looks good,its $249.00 which is not bad at all.

morganjoseph

I dont get bad mileage im just looking for ways to increase my mileage. I always hear how exhaust adds mpg but i dont know if its worth putting the money out or if i should just keep the cash

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Exhaust adds like 1-5 hp, I doubt it gives you any MPG gains.

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
Is an additive that effective i've never heard of an additive making better gas mileage
I wouldnt say better than factory how many miles are on it. U start to lose power and mpg from build up this will help elimimate this might consider seafoam too.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

morganjoseph

166K miles and i doubt the guys before me put any additive in And the yonaka company doesnt make an exhaust for the 02 civic

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bg44k is probably the best fuel additive you'll ever be able to find, its not so much a "octane booster" that a lot of additives claim, but this stuff cleans all your injectors and gets the carbon deposits out of everywhere and really does work. as far as an exhaust system adding mpg's prolly the best you're going to get is 2-3 mpg, and its because its freer flowing and the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get rid of the exhaust gases so its really all up to you whether you think its worth it or not

stolle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your engine is nothing more than an air pump, the easier the air can get in and out the more efficient it will be. you have to find your "bottleneck" dont expect to see big gains if you replace your stock exhaust with a nice 2.25" aftermarket piece and leave the cast manifold and cat with a 1 3/4" collector. fuel additives imo, are a waste, try seafoam, follow the directions for adding it through a vacuum line.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No, it's not worth it...

For a GOOD, quite, low key and quality exhaust you're likely to spend over $3-400. Which you'll gain a tiiiny bit of power and even less MPGs. That large amount of money would be better spent on the actual gas..

stolle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, it's not worth it...

For a GOOD, quite, low key and quality exhaust you're likely to spend over $3-400. Which you'll gain a tiiiny bit of power and even less MPGs. That large amount of money would be better spent on the actual gas..

this, i agree with, i would lean more towards just leave your exhaust oem.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
low rolling resident tires would do better then exhaust light weight wheels and removing everything in your trunk including the spare.a complete tune up and i believe your due for a primary oxygen sensor .

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Keep it OEM get better air filter if you havent already and stay away from cheap gas. I have been working with gas for the past 4 years. Ethanol is not your friend. Your injectors and fuel system get dirty alkt quicker. You may want to use addigives to help clean your system every so often.

morganjoseph

I have done a pretty good tune up since i bought the car 8 monthes ago, I have a new timing belt running belts water pump, my valves have been adjusted. I just put a new clutch in it less than 700 miles ago, and now a cold air intake. I change the oil every 3 thousand. I have been kind of thinking that it would be better off to just use the money for the exhaust for actual gas. My car is sleek and clean and i dont want to change it with the wrong exhaust that sounds like im trying to wake up the neighbors

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you replace the oxygen sensor that can kill gas mileage alot.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
+1 for BG 44K. Its good stuff, all BG stuff is good imo. Try the seafoam thru the intake, its cleans alot too. You probably don't need an oxygen sensor if its not running bad, no check engine lights, or bad mpg. What is your mpg currently?