Is it worth 250?

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Buddy of mines brother has a usdm b16a2 block, crank, pistons, rods, oil pan, and main caps for sale for $250. My question is would it be worth that plus the price of everything else to rebuild from the ground up? This includes machine shop work if it needs any done to it. He says all I will need to rebuild and drop it in is bearings, oil pump, head, tranny, ecu, harness, intake and exhaust manifolds headbolts, and all necessary gaskets. Is that a complete list? Opinions and comments welcome.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's probably not a bad price but imo you're just inheriting a headache by picking it up. By the time you've pieced together everything you need to complete the swap you're not going to be saving much money. I'd say it's much better to just buy a complete swap but I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Basically something to tinker with an gain experience from. I don't kno a lot but would like to learn. Not really worried about money I it's built right and the way I want it. Not in a big hurry to get it built to drop in either.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Not unless you're going to build one and need a spare.

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mymmeryloss care to explain why? Iv got my current motor which is a z6 so not worried about time it take todo it

H22Monstar

I got my h22 block with all internals for 100 and i got my type s head for 200 its really up to u. If you want a motor to rebuild from ground up then do it. If its not the motor you dream for then there is always somethong else out there for pretty cheap

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am a hands on guy.

I like the feeling of accomplishment and doing stuff myself.

Plus if u can have a fresh rebuild with 0 miles thats reliable but cost a little more than an engine with 60,000 miles on it then i think its worth it!

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am a hands on guy.

I like the feeling of accomplishment and doing stuff myself.

Plus if u can have a fresh rebuild with 0 miles thats reliable but cost a little more than an engine with 60,000 miles on it then i think its worth it!
That pretty much how I feel.
It's not my first choice for a motor. Id prefer a b18c1 or k20 but I kinda feel like I shouldent look a gift horse in the mouth. What internals would be a nice setup to throw into it as far as pistons and what not?

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That pretty much how I feel.
It's not my first choice for a motor. Id prefer a b18c1 or k20 but I kinda feel like I shouldent look a gift horse in the mouth. What internals would be a nice setup to throw into it as far as pistons and what not?
I'd jump on that if you have the money for it. it sounds like a good deal, I mean it has all the internals and what not then yea thats a good deal. As far as building goes and wanting a b18 you could throw a b18 head on it and have a really good set up, As for internals go what kind of set up do you have in mind? turbo? all motor?

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd jump on that if you have the money for it. it sounds like a good deal, I mean it has all the internals and what not then yea thats a good deal. As far as building goes and wanting a b18 you could throw a b18 head on it and have a really good set up, As for internals go what kind of set up do you have in mind? turbo? all motor?
All motor. Honestly I don't know enough about turbo sizing and tuning to feel comfortable having a boosted dd

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All motor. Honestly I don't know enough about turbo sizing and tuning to feel comfortable having a boosted dd
Id look in to some high compression pistons/upgraded rods, upgraded valve train and some stage 1 or 2 cams

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was pricing bisimoto cams last night and will prob go with those when time comes to it. How much can stock rods handle before problems occur? And how much would gsr or ctr pistons raise compression?

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just do an Ls/vtec if you are gonna build something cheap. Screw a b16

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
^^b16 block is a waste. Get an ls block for cheaper and build that. The b16 head is really the only good thing about that engine.

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's wrong with the b16 block? Not looking for a BIG power plant. Just something I can learn from and build a reliable engine from.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nothing, it will be fine man. and yes its a ok deal

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mymmeryloss and r3dline your optimisism is much appreciated. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Really why go with the smallest engine you can get your hands on? B16's are slow.