Is my engine VTEC or non-VTEC? Very strange...

youthx

5+ Year Member
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2000 Civic Si (I am in Canada so I believe that is comparative to an EX in the U.S). That's where things get confusing.... My mechanic says it's not a VTEC....

I've looked at the engine tech sticky (and various other sites) and I still am not sure if my 2000 Si is VTEC or non-VTEC. On my engine I don't see any signs of VTEC. But the code on my engine says:
D16Y8.... (according to the sticky this means it's a EJ8 D16Y8 CANADA All 2-door EX)

Aside from the code on my engine block, what else can I look for to tell if I have a vtec?

Thanks.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aside from the code on my engine block, what else can I look for to tell if I have a vtec?

Thanks.
You will have a VTEC solenoid on the back of the cylinder head near the distributor.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could be a Y8 block w/a Y7 head...? :what:

youthx

5+ Year Member
thanks for your replies.... do you know of a pic I can reference to find this solenoid?

chestercivic

**Former** ED3, DA9 owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take a pic of your engine and we can tell you if it has VTEC or not.

youthx

5+ Year Member
thanks for the pics!!
So, it looks like mine isn't vtec (I can't see the solenoid). How difficult is it to add this solenoid back? And is it expensive?

thanks.

chestercivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You cant just add it. You have to get a Y8 head with the solenoid already on it and get a vtec ecu and wire it up.

chestercivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am not sure on costs as I have never done it before.

youthx

5+ Year Member
haha... nevermind. I do have the vtec solenoid - lol I was looking right at it and i just didn't clue in.

thanks guys!

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you have vtec but its SOHC vtec, not DOHC vtec. dohc > sohc.