Is my Si slow?

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
I just wanted a opinion on my 00 Si. I raced a friends 2005 Celica GTS and lost pretty bad. Gts had: intake, intake manifold, header, cat, stage 1 clutch, flywheel, and full exhaust maybe chipped but I don't know as the dude and I don't talk so much. Si: intake, intake manifold, header. We launch and I will always pull ahead and then at the end of 1st gear he pull up, pop second and he crawls away little by little, By the end of second he is proable 2-3 cartlength ahead pop into third and he keep on pulling by the end of 3 and into fourth he is probable like 5 car length ahead and we slow down. We did it 4x and it was pretty much the same result I got lauch he got top end. He told me my SI was slow but I was like WTF I only got intake, intake manifold, header. While we were in our second race his brother blew pass by us like we were standing still in his JDM B16 EG and we were in second gear and he was behind us. JDM B16 EG had: intake, intake manifold, header, cat, 3inch catback, stage 3 clutch, 8lb flywheel, car was totally strip except for his seat, carbon fiber hood, engine was pretty strip like any other swap. It made me think because he had a b16 but that s**t blew past us and I had a b16 of course it is usdm but still. I just was just wondering if my Si was slow because if it is then it might be because of compression or mounts or something. Just want an honest opinion not a " Your car is slow as s**t" comment. I was shock that I lost but he had more parts then me so I thougt that might be the reason. We gonna race again. This is a battle of pride since he said my si was slow knowing what I had already. I am going to get new header 2"inlet 2,5" outlet, 2.5" cat, 2.5" catback because the header I had before were 1.5" inlet but 2.5" outlet. What do you think the result will be? Think about getting stage 3 clutch and 8lb flywheel.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes it is slow.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Stage 3 clutch lol. It will be useless unless you're pushing some serious hp. All that stuff you want to get will give you 10whp TOPS. If he's winning by 3+ car lengths I'm thinking you will need something more than just bolt ons lol. Look into turbocharging...

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
I seen other Si at track and they were way slower then my and had on all the type R stuff such as manifold, cam, header, exhaust and the list goes on. But they were slower then my si with just intake, manifold, and header. So how can my si be slow when they are slower then me with way more parts. There was a fully built LS/VTec with toda everything and at the end of the quarter mile hew was like maybe 3-4 cars ahead. I getting to the point of probable selling my car and getting a 06 si or 02 rsx because 00 SI are slow. But my parts are already on there way so we gonna have another go and see the result. This is a battle of pride on na motor gts vs si.

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
Yes I can launch and shifting is like unwraping candle. I got a short shifter and I power shift and plus you can hear the vtec everytime I shift so I am not lagging vtec. The LS/Vtec dude's brother had a gsr turbo hatch and that s**t ran 12s and plus they are both mechanics and got there team there doing everything such as tires and so on. I don't know I think it might have to do with the compression or mounts. I gonna have it dyno soon after I get my parts and we will see if the numbers are good.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes I can launch and shifting is like unwraping candle. I got a short shifter and I power shift and plus you can hear the vtec everytime I shift so I am not lagging vtec. The LS/Vtec dude's brother had a gsr turbo hatch and that s**t ran 12s and plus they are both mechanics and got there team there doing everything such as tires and so on. I don't know I think it might have to do with the compression or mounts. I gonna have it dyno soon after I get my parts and we will see if the numbers are good.
dont be upset if you only see 125-130whp. The b16b2 engine really isnt fast by any means. Imo way over rated. A smart route to go is take a b18c1 bottom end mate it with your b16 head and put cams in it. Then it be decently quick with your b16 tranny. For the price up of insurance from the ej8 to em1, its not worth it. Because most people who have si's mod them anyway since there kinda slow stock and well id rather take and ej8 and mod that pay less insurance and be faster then an si

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The GTS is rated at 180 HP...your already beat just from the specifications.
He probably has a lot more torque than you do, which is how he walked you at the beginning of second gear. You have no low end power.
Build your B16, then you would walk him. His aftermarket support is nothing compared to yours.

As for the EG hatch. It's kind of obvious why you lost. A stripped hatch is WAAAYYY lighter than your coupe, which plays a REALLY big role. His JDM B16 is rated at 170 HP, and your USDM B16 is at 160 HP. He has a lightweight flywheel, which is probably the only thing that makes a difference in power.

BTW, if you spaced out your post. It would be easier to read (more replies). I almost left the thread, until I read Celica...lol

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I just wanted a opinion on my 00 Si. I raced a friends 2005 Celica GTS and lost pretty bad.

The GTS had: intake, intake manifold, header, cat, stage 1 clutch, flywheel, and full exhaust maybe chipped but I don't know as the dude and I don't talk so much.

The Si had: intake, intake manifold, header.

We launch and I would always pull ahead and then at the end of 1st gear he'd pull up. I'd pop second and he crawls away little by little. By the end of second he is probably two to three car lengths ahead. I'd pop into third and he kept on pulling. By the end of third and into fourth he is probably like five car lengths ahead and we slow down.

We did it four times and it was pretty much the same result: I got the launch, he got the top end.

He told me that my Si was slow but I was like, "What the f**k? I only got intake, intake manifold, header."

While we were in our second race his brother blew pass us like we were standing still in his JDM B16 EG. We were in second gear and he was behind us.

JDM B16 EG had: intake, intake manifold, header, cat, 3inch cat-back, stage 3 clutch, 8lb flywheel. His car was totally strip except for his seat, carbon fiber hood and the engine was pretty stripped like any other swap. It made me think because he had a B16 but that s**t blew past us and I had a B16 of course it is USDM but still...

I just was just wondering if my Si was slow because if it is then it might be because of compression or mounts or something. I just want an honest opinion not a, "Your car is slow as s**t," comment. I was shocked that I lost but he had more parts then me so I thought that might be the reason.

We're gonna race again. This is a battle of pride since he said my Si was slow, knowing what I had already.

I am going to get a new header 2"inlet 2.5" outlet, 2.5" cat, 2.5" cat-back because the header I had before were 1.5" inlet but 2.5" outlet.

What do you think the result will be? Think about getting stage 3 clutch and 8lb flywheel.
Okay, I tried to go through your post to try to understand it a bit more, but I'm still sort of lost.

So, what exactly do you mean by saying that you're going to get a "new header two inch inlet two and a half inch outlet". Are you saying you're going to bore out your exhaust ports?

The lack of punctuation in that last bit you wrote in particular makes your message very difficult to understand.

Besides that though, the 1999 Honda Civic Si only has a quarter mile time (stock) of about 15.7 seconds and a 0-60 time of about 7.5 seconds. Meanwhile, the 2002 Toyota Celica GTS has a quarter mile time (stock) of about 15.6 seconds and a 0-60 time of about 7.3 seconds. (Source.)

None of the mods on those cars are really going to increase the performance of either car much.

Don't ever put it past yourself that perhaps the driver of the Celica is just a better driver than you at this point in time.

I wouldn't waste the time, effort or risk of your life (or anyone else's) to find out which would turn out better in a street race though. Read up, learn about modifications that will actually make your car quicker if that is indeed what you're looking for and then go from there.

If the guy's a douche, he's a douche. You won't change that even if you win.
I seen other Si at track and they were way slower then my and had on all the type R stuff such as manifold, cam, header, exhaust and the list goes on. But they were slower then my si with just intake, manifold, and header. So how can my si be slow when they are slower then me with way more parts. There was a fully built LS/VTec with toda everything and at the end of the quarter mile hew was like maybe 3-4 cars ahead. I getting to the point of probable selling my car and getting a 06 si or 02 rsx because 00 SI are slow. But my parts are already on there way so we gonna have another go and see the result. This is a battle of pride on na motor gts vs si.
My god, stop spending money on the car and go back to school.
"Shifting is like unwraping candle"? What‽ How do you unwrap a candle‽ How is it like shifting gears in a manual transmission on a car‽

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
I meant shifting gear isn't hard at all and plus the people are right. Gts is 180hp 2500lb while Si 160hp 2600lb. It was on a closed road as in a total closed road with nobody driving on it beside us. I just thought that that the 00 si would be fast but after all this it seem freaking slow. Sorry about he grammer I wrote the message like 1 am and then went to sleep. Thanks for all your thought.

The main question was that I thought the b16a2 was a fast engine not lighting fast but fast enough to take on a gts. I am in school 18 credit this semester and I work too and plus cars is my hobby. Can't help it but want to mod the car. It a need not a want to mod car. It about your pride and your ride.

I want a rematch anyway just to see the result. Hopefully this time I will hang with him. Gonna strip the car down. Will get back to you guys soon about the result.

JDMCreep

KANJO anyone ??
5+ Year Member
man my friend is always telling me that he ants an SI and i tell him that unless he wants to get beat by everyone why would he want a SI

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
Slow is a very relative term. I was in a 911 Carrera 4S last weekend, and it felt "slow" to me.

I wouldn't throw money at your car just so you can blow by a celica on the highway. Build your car with the parts you want for the purpose of making you happy, not to be faster than another guy. There will always be someone faster than you, no matter what you end up driving.

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I didn't even bother to read all of this, but you should probably learn how to drive because EM1's aren't that slow.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
:hitlol: And this is coming from myself who drives a dx that doesn't even have 100 hp at the wheels...

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Slow is a very relative term. I was in a 911 Carrera 4S last weekend, and it felt "slow" to me.

I wouldn't throw money at your car just so you can blow by a celica on the highway. Build your car with the parts you want for the purpose of making you happy, not to be faster than another guy. There will always be someone faster than you, no matter what you end up driving.
MIshimoto ftw. If you just want bolt ons, a restricted cat is going to hurt a full exhaust so i would look into that too. If you really want to be fast (a relative term) and want top end turbo it man. If not just know what you have (a 1.6L that puts over 130 to the wheels is still a great motor, for what it is) and drive it as such. If you want to feel good about keeping up or beating v6's or v8's maybe ITB's or a turbo or something.

A stage 3 clutch is pointless, most are rated to handle at least 300 lb/ft. torque from the crank. You have 111. any aftermarket clutch upgrade will be better, just know what you have and get something to fit that, the stronger the clutch the more likely you are to do something dumb and damage your drive train. Get a light weight flywheel if you want to free things up in there, it will make a noticeable difference.

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh and in the big picture, your car is faster than a number of city cars, even many 6 cly. but in the performance world it is slow

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
EM1's are slow out of the box, with potential though. bolt ons dont really make to much of a difference unless you tune it. even then with I/IM/H/E,cams and a tune you might see 180-190whp with primo qualilty stuff and a good tune. but with CTR pistons and the same setup you can get 200whp. again with good tuning.

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
Yes I can drive so to let the people know who keep saying do I know how to drive. When my si was totally stock I down with a EG EX with I/h/e/ecu and I beat him first and second gear shifting only at 7K rpm and this was stock. Not trying to knock on anyones door but that is just what happen. I gonna try and race other people with 00 si and see how fast there are compare to mine. A friend of mine has a 03 RSX type S i/im/h/e/kpro and only pull 205whp at the wheel and did low 14s at track. I don't know we see how much hp mine has soon when I save up some money.