Just a small update :)

SR-Maliante-LXD

This looks really good what do you have in your fogs at the moment.?
Also what temp do you have in the projectors.?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so from the link, you have to purchase 2?

looks bright as hell
No. When you buy the Mini H1's, you get 2.

Dang JohnS. you really got my wheels turning!! Im checking out TRS site right now!! I really like how that turned out!! If you get the time can you take a couple pics of the backside of the light install? I have plenty of room on the passenger side but of coarse as u know its a bit tight on the drivers. You did an awesome job man!! :rocker::thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up
I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow. It doesn't look any different from an H4 setup with the standard halogen reflector.

Maybe its your camera then? Because it DOES look dim.
You telling me that putting hids in your foglights will blind people?

It kind of looks like your sig is a little big btw. Might want to fix that before you get an infraction ;)
I'm telling you that HID's in halogen housing with the stock halogen reflector does not properly distribute the light on the road. You simply cannot argue this. I am willing to bet you my HID's alone are brighter than both of your P&P HID's with no projectors because my projectors put 100% of the light on the ground, where it belongs. Like I mentioned before, do you notice the cut off point? With HID's, you literally see NOTHING above the cut off point. Unlike halogen bulbs, the projectors put ALL the light below the cut off to utilize maximum light output vs. visibility.

Halogen reflectors were not designed for HID's. The way the projector is designed and the way it refracts (if that's the right term) light is completely different. Have you ever seen a projector up close? It's completely smooth on the inside, no edges or flat spots like the stock reflector housing for a halogen headlight. This is one of the reasons why P&P HID kits without projectors produces glare/scatter.

Trust me, I used to have an H4 P&P HID kit without projectors a long time ago. They looked like this:

Will P&P HID's in fog lights without a retro blind people? In short, yes it will. And I don't care about infractions. It wouldn't be the first time I got one. I took a new picture and changed my sig anyways.

If you wish to continue to try to debate with me, please do it through PM's and stop trashing on my thread.

This looks really good what do you have in your fogs at the moment.?
Also what temp do you have in the projectors.?
I have PIAA Crystal Ion's in my fog lights currently. They used to be bright. I can actually tell that they're on. I just have to lean over the steering wheel. All they do is light up right in front of the car and a tiny bit on the outer edges.

SR-Maliante-LXD

Ohh ok because im trying to get something a little brighter in the fogs but i do not want HID's in them.
Is the pic in the sig with the projectors on.? How'd you wire the High Beam

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ohh ok because im trying to get something a little brighter in the fogs but i do not want HID's in them.
Is the pic in the sig with the projectors on.? How'd you wire the High Beam
I can't use halogen bulbs anymore ;). So yes, the picture in my sig is with the projectors. You can slightly see the fog lights (the more darker yellow closer to the front of the car). My HID's look yellow in the picture due to editing and white balance from the camera. I didn't bother to take my time with proper settings. I just snapped one quick.

Osram SilverStars or PIAA Ion Crystals are both great choices for fog light bulbs. The PIAA's have a hint of blue/purple/white to them, depending on how you look at them. It's actually kind of cool ;). The biggest thing to help visibility would be properly aiming them after installing the bulbs.

I haven't wired high beams yet. You can't just wire them like you normally would. Because I am using a bi-xenon projector with a single "filament" (not sure of the proper name lol) bulb, I have to wire it a special way. When you flick high beams on with this setup, the ballasts cut power to the low beams, therefore cut power to the bulbs. The thing with H4 bulbs is they are dual filament and when you flick the high beams on, one filament turns off while the other filament lights up. Since H1 bulbs only have 1 light source, you have to find a way around that so that it stays on constantly. The way high beams work in a bi-xenon projector is that there is a little shield (it's what gives the cut off) that flips down when you hit your high beams, which allows more light to escape the projector.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Once again i am not talking about the projector headlights i am talking about your fog lights.
Im not saying that your projector headlights look dim im not saying your cut off line is off im not saying that a cat has 9 lives im saying that your fog lights look a little dim.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey anyone on here looking for a little DIY action, i've had this bookmarked for the longest time...finally got around to buying a new aftermarket set of blackhoused ek headlights.. just gotta purchase a set of those FX-R's off http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php :cool:

http://www.diymyhonda.com/civic/retrofit-in-ek-with-ebay-headlights/
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php

Oh, P.S. OP i dont mean to thread jack, i just saw a few people asking questions thought i'd chime in and share....

SR-Maliante-LXD

Sounds good. Yeah I've been thinking of getting HID's but i just dont like the way they look in factory reflectors you know.?
So im guessing you have High Beams also

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hey anyone on here looking for a little DIY action, i've had this bookmarked for the longest time...finally got around to buying a new aftermarket set of blackhoused ek headlights.. just gotta purchase a set of those FX-R's off http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php :cool:

http://www.diymyhonda.com/civic/retrofit-in-ek-with-ebay-headlights/
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php

Oh, P.S. OP i dont mean to thread jack, i just saw a few people asking questions thought i'd chime in and share....
No worries man. I should've written a DIY. I was just impatient at the time and was really excited to have HID's so I didn't think about it ;).

Thanks!

Sounds good. Yeah I've been thinking of getting HID's but i just dont like the way they look in factory reflectors you know.?
So im guessing you have High Beams also
I do not have high beams yet. Sorry, I edited my post above with why I don't have high beams and how they work.

SR-Maliante-LXD

Oopp sorry didn't see that.
Sounds good think I'm going to try it out with mines.
Its cool how i got answers to questions not the usual answer of "USE SEARCH"
Thankss

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looking good john, looks real clean man.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't feel like putting in an HID kit into stock halogen reflectors and blinding people ;).
My ex had HID fogs on her 7th gen.. They were aimed to high, and were DEF brighter than her halogen headlights. It hurt to drive in front of her when she had them on...

You telling me that putting hids in your foglights will blind people?
See above ;)

It kind of looks like your sig is a little big btw. Might want to fix that before you get an infraction ;)
It's within the rules :thumbs up

PS John, you're going to help with my retrofit, right? Would love to get them done before the Honda-Tech meet.... =)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks guys!

Shaun, definitely down to helping. I'm all for people who properly use HID kits by installing projectors :thumbs up.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow, that's awesome. I'd love to do this with my EG headlights if that's possible.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow, that's awesome. I'd love to do this with my EG headlights if that's possible.
I don't see why it isn't. Like I said, the Mini H1's are pretty small.

My passenger headlight is getting more and more hazy and is making my cut off look less and less sharp. Bugging the crap out of me. I'm just lazy lol. I still smile everytime I drive at night. I love watching my cut off bounce up and down on signs.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll have to look into it. I want projectors, without buying ugly looking headlight assemblies. Plus, my lights aren't that bright lol.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Am i seeing it right that this kit is 270$?
No. You're looking under the complete retrofit kit section. Look further down on the left and you'll see "HID Projectors". About half way down, look for "Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 4.1". I guess 4.1's just came out. I have 4.0's. I'm not sure what the differences are.

I just purchased a relay harness so everything can be plug and play AND so I can use my high beams finally. In total, I have spent about $210.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Good stuff! I did a retrofit as well, click my sig image for the DIY thread for eg and with the morimoto mini d2s setup. I definitely saw a difference driving with them on at night and I will say that from experience first hand, even with the fluted glass housing (I don't have clear housing). As for the high beams, the projectors have a flap inside them that is controlled by a solenoid that would control the cutoff line. So with a proper relay harness, the projectors recieve power for the high beams like an h4 bulb and that actuates the solenoid.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Here's another picture from tonight. I made a sig out of it but it's too big to be able to use on ClubCivic (as per the rules) :( :( :(.