Legal Turbo's In California

Eric1998Coupe

5+ Year Member
I was looking to turbo a d16, but whats legal in california? must all my parts have carb #'s and if so which turbos do? If anyone knows or has done this personally please let me know thanks.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
edelbrock turbo kit ...and edelbrock only but those suckers go for 3k >_<

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
greddy is legal too, but not if you add an intercooler or anything else for that matter

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
greddy is legal too, but not if you add an intercooler or anything else for that matter
Really? Greddy is legal too?! hrmm. never knew that, id thought other wise since alot of their parts arent street legal. besides for a very few exhaust or axle back.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Really? Greddy is legal too?! hrmm. never knew that, id thought other wise since alot of their parts arent street legal. besides for a very few exhaust or axle back.
Greddy was the first company offering street legal carb oe turbo kits, consequently they are also the weakest or least benefit yielding kits. Like you, most of their parts aren't street legal so anything added to their base turbo kit isn't street legal. That's why Edelbrock decided to make a more complete kit with better results

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes greddy and edelbrock are carb legal, but, like sammo said, theyre gonna cost you a pretty penny. try to find a used one, but make sure all the original parts are there or else your f**ked.

Last edited by a moderator:

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So this explains why the greddy kit on the totaled coupe I got had no intercooler.. what a weird setup.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ well its so underpowered and tuned for low boost with the blue box that you dont need an intercooler. Like some of the weaker model VW that are turbo

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cali laws ftl. 99% of people with turbo'd civics in cali really dont car about the law. Dont draw attention to urself, dont street race, dont blast music, ditch the loud exhaust (although hard with turbo). Dont give the cops a reason to pull you over. The hardest thing is passing smog but there is ALWAYS ways around that B).
Also, it helps that my dad is CHP too :D
Good luck homie

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cali laws ftl. 99% of people with turbo'd civics in cali really dont car about the law. Dont draw attention to urself, dont street race, dont blast music, ditch the loud exhaust (although hard with turbo). Dont give the cops a reason to pull you over. The hardest thing is passing smog but there is ALWAYS ways around that B).
Also, it helps that my dad is CHP too :D
Good luck homie
:word: the city im at, the popo wont really bother you unless your driving around like a douche and just asking for trouble.

my cousin is a sheriff hahaha so i get it a little easy. a little.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont mean to thread jack but umm....what exhausts are legal in cali?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not instead of turbo do an engine swap? aint that easily legal in cali?
as long as its the same or newer year as the car its going into and it also needs to pass emissions

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not instead of turbo do an engine swap? aint that easily legal in cali?
Pfsh. For SOME, it still isnt as easy as it sounds and for damn sure isnt less time consuming.

for people with say. 00 civics. they would have to find a motor from a 00 or higher like CHILD stated and those motors run for a pretty high price. 2k-4k ----of course it isnt just the motor alone. for some it HAVE to involve changing over the fuel tank [ Kseries, if you wanna get it bar'd ] goes down to ECU. senors etc.

Anything about modding a car or swaping anything with a cars engine is a headache in california. that is IF your worried about smog.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn never knew that. well good luck with any plans you got op.why not get car registered in another state? lol

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn never knew that. well good luck with any plans you got op.why not get car registered in another state? lol
because if you live in california you have to have it registered here, and if you moved here you have to transfer the registration within 30 days or something like that

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually thats not true. well at least it wasnt for my friend. his car was from DC and he transferred it to cali and has been running DC plates for over a year haha.

Only hassle is that if any issue that involves the car [ insurance, registration etc]...he would have to talk to people in DC or go call a friend to handle whatever issue that came up.

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
i dont mean to thread jack but umm....what exhausts are legal in cali?
You can pretty much do anything you want to your exhaust BEHIND THE CAT...You just have to watch NOISE ORDINANCES and don't drive stupid and draw attention...I keep my silencer in other wise mine would be way to loud...

Anything in front of the CAT, has to have CARB EO numbers...I guess if you did something to piss the cop off they could write you a mod exhaust ticket anyways though!!