Looking to change out my stock intake system...

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
Im a man of simple tastes. Im not looking to make my auto civic race worthy, Im just trying to add little things to it here and there.

Thats why im considering buying this for my LX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97-98-99-00-HONDA-CIVIC-BLK-AIR-INTAKE-FILTER-DX-LX_W0QQitemZ160355343835QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2555ec5ddb

Now for one, i know its cheap for a reason, because that 8-12% increase in HP is utter bullshit.

However I'm going for more an increase in sound rather than performance which i know you get with a SRI.

So my question is, is it worth shelling out 30 bucks to get a bump up in sound and MAYBE a 1-2 HP increase?

uncleoms2001

5+ Year Member
If you consider damaging your engine due to poor debris filtration worth $30 then yes, otherwise, get a cheap pipe and a good filter. That's the best way.

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
Would something like a spectre do the job, or should i just get the k&n cone filter?

A-TownCivic

5+ Year Member
You can get this short ram and buy a K&N filter for it cuz the filter on this ebay one will be complete crap

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol if you get an intake on an auto, say good bye to your low-end power.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd get that tube and a K&N filter that fits it. If you're wondering if a $30 upgrade is 'worth' anything, then dont do it man. Having a loud civic is like a dog that only barks but never bites... And to me a CAI is different than a short ram, CAI are better mid-high range, short rams are better for the low range, suited for city driving. For you, I'd say get a short ram and put a better filter than the one that comes with it.

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
I plan on either swapping out the filter for a spectre, or my friend is swapping his CAI filter off his evo for a K&N and i would just take his old filter.

I literally just bought it, so when i get it ill snap a few pics and take a vid of how it sounds

Thanks for the advice guys

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And when you put it on, tell me how dumb you feel when you step on the gas from a stop and think "why did that feel so slow?"

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And when you put it on, tell me how dumb you feel when you step on the gas from a stop and think "why did that feel so slow?"
its slow cuz its a civic, not cuz of the intake :lol:

op, i'm using a spectre filter on my turbo setup. they're great budget filters. after 15-20k miles i just throw it away and pick up a new one for $20. they're so cheap it's pointless to buy a cleaning kit for them :lol:

DOPEYBOY247

5+ Year Member
ebay intake and name brand filter (AEM).

even though I had my ebay intake and ebay filter installed for 5 years with no problems at all. I'm always checking it and cleaning it. I'll be upgrading soon.

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
It slow because its a 1.6L I4 with 106 hp you jackass, a SRI wouldn't really effect it much either way.

Oh and BTW, I dont know what you heard bout CAI and SRI, but a SRI give more low end power, CAI is more top end.

So if i got a cheap CAI for my car, what you said would have made sense.

But I didn't, so you don't make any sense.

TL;DR, your kinda retarded

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its an automatic, if u keep it like that, bolt ons arent going to add speed, if u choose 1s that add "sound>performance" u'll be labeled a ricer for having a loud and slow car. hell if u stick w/ a single cam, bolt ons wont really help..boost is the only way to go..if u dont want speed leave ur motor stock..no point in wasting the money on an intake or w/e..go w/ looks like rims, lips, oem spoiler/wing CF hood, amber corner/side markers slam ur car to the ground ect..

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
its an automatic, if u keep it like that, bolt ons arent going to add speed, if u choose 1s that add "sound>performance" u'll be labeled a ricer for having a loud and slow car. hell if u stick w/ a single cam, bolt ons wont really help..boost is the only way to go..if u dont want speed leave ur motor stock..no point in wasting the money on an intake or w/e..go w/ looks like rims, lips, oem spoiler/wing CF hood, amber corner/side markers slam ur car to the ground ect..
There is a reason I'm picking sound over performance, because I drive a civic, what performance could I possibly wring out of a 1.6L I4 with 122K?

I could care less if people label me a ricer, the point is this is something I WANT to do with my limited amount of money, even if people would turn their nose down on it.

Why would I give a s**t about what someone says about my car, why would I care?

But I AM with you on the looks dept, Im doing that piece by piece. First the head/tail lights, fog lights, drop the car about an inch, then finally rims

But body kits can go f**k themselves, there is no point to spending money to add weight to your car

EVER

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i spent a ton of money and added a lot of weight :???: turbo, ramhorn mani, intercooler, piping, pressure valves. i dunno though, i think it was a wise investment :thumbs up

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
i spent a ton of money and added a lot of weight :???: turbo, ramhorn mani, intercooler, piping, pressure valves. i dunno though, i think it was a wise investment :thumbs up
I was speaking about body kits/lips/wings etc

You spent money on something that actually BENEFITS the car:D

So kudos to you

JosephColy

5+ Year Member
lol. thats why i like billy so much.

and to REALLY tell the truth. if your allowance isn't enough to cover a name brand Cold Air Intake/Short Ram Intake, then stop trying to "mod" your car.

sell your Honda to me, buy a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and leave the tuning to the big boys.

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
lol. thats why i like billy so much.

and to REALLY tell the truth. if your allowance isn't enough to cover a name brand Cold Air Intake/Short Ram Intake, then stop trying to "mod" your car.

sell your Honda to me, buy a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and leave the tuning to the big boys.
Who said I was tuning, did you miss the post saying im going for sound over performance?

Im just trying to get rid of the stock air box, I dont need to spend 200-400 on a brand name CAI or SRI because i dont care enough to spend that much.

I love how people are getting all bent out of shape saying what im doing wrong and i should get this or that.

My only question was if that intake was worth 30 bucks

THATS it

JosephColy

5+ Year Member
Who said I was tuning, did you miss the post saying im going for sound over performance?

Im just trying to get rid of the stock air box, I dont need to spend 200-400 on a brand name CAI or SRI because i dont care enough to spend that much.

I love how people are getting all bent out of shape saying what im doing wrong and i should get this or that.

My only question was if that intake was worth 30 bucks

THATS it
no jackass, it isnt worth 30 dollars.