looking to make 180 hp on D16Y7. any ideas?

guachi

5+ Year Member
get one of those intake superchargers for like 10 bucks on ebay and call it a day

oh, and those whistles that you put in your exhaust to make it sound like a turbo.

badass setup right there. pullin weight son
ha hahah :haha:

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks guys. now that im positive i want boost, what parts do i need to piece together this kit and from what companies. i just bought a d16z6 im from a friend for fifty cause im tired of my s**t pointing straight up. is there any kind of power i could get from swapping a Z6 manifold on my Y7? or what should i do.
Homemadeturbo.com is your friend. or also d-series.com

JDMDRIVEREK

Id say toss a y8 manifold on it and boost it..
I have a y7 with the y8 manifold and were gunna boost. but it depends u can go with a ebay turbokit whcih u will have to re weld the seals bcuz they will blow.
a stock internal SOHC boosted will blow within 3 to 4months tops depending on how u drive it..
and bein its not VTEC you wont make 180hp the Y7 is deacent but not that strong..
the money u would spend buildin u should just swap a B18C1 VTEC or C5VTEC you will have 180hp with the GSR motor and around 200hp with the real TyepR your lookin an average of 8-1200$$$
sounds pricey but in the end will def be worth it..
I chill with str8 JDM ridaz and they have everything from fullybuilt Y8's to Boost GSR's

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Naaaaaaawwwwwwwssssssss!

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
You can make that kind of power with a boosted y7 and be reliable. The main problem with the y7 is the oiling issues. The oil pump can be ported to help keep the engine lubricated. My suggestion is to go to the forced induction threads at D-series.org and do some reading. Dont let hp be your only goal, build it with quality parts that are going to last. You could just swap for a b, but thats what everyone else does.

JasonxEHS

5+ Year Member
okay so.... my plans for my D16Y7

this thread is going to be constantly updated and im hoping that you all will keep helping me through my build process. so here is the plan:
D16Y8 intake manifold and bore it out
get a Y8 head and start buying parts for it and put it on when its all pieced together. here are the parts i want: Port and polish stock head (local machine shop), get a mild cam (skunk2), titanium retainers and dual valve springs and some sort of strong valves (blox), adjustable cam gear (skunk2), spark plug wires (NGK), im not too sure what kind of spark plugs that i'll need so help me out if you can on that, ummm... rods and pistons (Eagle), not too sure what kind of fuel rail to get well actually i really dont know too much about the fuel side of this build period any help would be greatly appreciated, Hondata S200, Hybrid Intake (AEM), as far as exhaust i want something that will sound good and not rice at all im 100% anti rice and some one told me to get like an HKS hi power cat back and put a factory Honda Resonator and cat on it and maybe a 4-2-1 header from DC, exedy stage one clutch i think will do the trick, B&M short shifter with energy shifter bushings, Ingals adjustable torque damper, and thats all i can think of as of right now.
im not too big into the whole performance upgrading thing or single cams for that matter but since i have such low mileage on my motor i figured why not. im really big into swaps and JDM interior/ exterior so this is all new to me. but anyways thats the setup i have in mind. like i said if im wrong about something or theres something better to do or to get please let me know. im trying to educate myself and i would look online but my computer just took a s**t so i have to use my friends and he gets irrated as f**k when i use his computer. but thatnks in advance for everything guys.

oh yeah almost forgot im planning on doing a mini me swap, any information on that. im sure there is already threads about it but i dont have much time on here.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Not bad, looks like you did some research.

Only thing that didnt look good....you said a B&M shift kit, meaning your car is an auto? Stock auto civic trannys cant handle much power. You should plan on swapping out the transmission if you want to turbo.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
kick through the flloor and go fred flintstone style boy. you will be rapid lol. sorry yeh man bang a turbochrager on that motor that hasnt been anywhere.

JasonxEHS

5+ Year Member
actaully

B&M makes short throw shifters. i have a five speed and i dont want a skunk2 because where i live theres alot of people that have broken them at the ball or near the threads when slamming gears. thats all we do around here. its either balls to the wall or nothin at all. slam that s**t. ive got a friend who used to build civics for a living and he can hook me up with one (single bend) for 50$. thats why i want a B&M. that s**t is strong. slam the f**k out of it and it will still hold up. any other suggestions guys?

JasonxEHS

5+ Year Member
Not bad, looks like you did some research.

Only thing that didnt look good....you said a B&M shift kit, meaning your car is an auto? Stock auto civic trannys cant handle much power. You should plan on swapping out the transmission if you want to turbo.
not bad looks like you did some research. B&M makes short throws for standards. and they are alot stronger thatn skunk2 shifters.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
who the f**k slams gears so hard they break the shifter?? people need to learn to drive correctly if thats the case, else they are going to eventually destroy their transmission :roll:

anyways, just swap it. if all you want is like 180 crank, you can make that power with a b18 and bolt ons. go ls/vtec and you wont be dissapointed. or you can even do a crvtec that will have better torque. you should be able to get a pretty penny for your motor if the mileage is in fact as low as you say it is, then you'll have a good start on building a b18

JDMDRIVEREK

YEah MugenKid makes sense..
D- series are deacent and not to many people keep or build them. but you can make so much more power with a B,H,Or K series motor..they will hold alot more. I mean u can build the s**t out of a D series but the real power comes from boost. Or you can build all motor and go just as fast with a B series than boost that and run like 400hp...

jimmo

5+ Year Member
B&M makes short throw shifters. i have a five speed and i dont want a skunk2 because where i live theres alot of people that have broken them at the ball or near the threads when slamming gears. thats all we do around here. its either balls to the wall or nothin at all. slam that s**t. ive got a friend who used to build civics for a living and he can hook me up with one (single bend) for 50$. thats why i want a B&M. that s**t is strong. slam the f**k out of it and it will still hold up. any other suggestions guys?
i have a skunk2 short throw.... theres no way in hell that thing is breaking any time soon... it's made out of steel.... not aluminum.... you could chuck that thing around the room and it wouldn't even put a dent in it....

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've broken so many skunk2 shifters in half i couldn't even tell you..
b&m is definitely better when it comes to shifting with a sledge hammer.

slvrcoupe

d[-_-]b
5+ Year Member
Your best bet is boost....Dont bother with bolt ons because youll spend a couple thousand and wont see gains, if you want to get 180+ hp boost your engine