Lower the rear more????

white2000

3 motors and 34k miles
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 2000 EX coupe. I put on tokico shocks and ground control coilovers, In my opinion the front looks awesome now, but even after lowering the rear as far as possible there's still a gap between the tire and fender. Anyone have a remedy? I've heard I could cut the cup on the shocks, but I dont know if I should do anything that drastic, plus I dont want to weaken the strut. Thanks.

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what size wheels and tires? do NOT cut anyting!!

shinobi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, don't cut nuthin man cuz if you do that's like $300+ you just put down the drain. are you rolling on stock wheels cuz a 17" rim should do the job.

white2000

3 motors and 34k miles
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
17x7 with 205/40/17's by the way, the front looks good, the tires tuck in there about a half inch I want the rear to do the same.

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your saying a 4" drop isnt low enough!!!...holy s**t...thats all I gotta say

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
post some pics.... how long ago did u put them in

white2000

3 motors and 34k miles
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wish I could...my camera died in a tragic swimming incident. I'll try to borrow my dad's camera today. but, I put the coilovers on about 13 months ago. I've noticed, the more I leave them alone and dont adjust them weekly, the harder it is to adjust when I want to. I wish someone would invent a sleeve to go over the threaded part so sand and crap wouldn't get in there....unless they already have and I dont know about it...

undertheradar

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds to me like you have the springs and sleeves mismatched. I did that the first time I installed my GC's. You need to make sure the sleeve with the longer smooth bottom section are in the rear (to fit down in the shock cup) and are matched up with the shorter springs. You probably have the longer springs in the rear and the shorters in the front which will make the front fine, but the rears won't drop much at all. Check it out and let me know if you have questions.

As far as keeping stuff out of the sleeves threads, just use a wire brush to clean the threads before you adjust them.

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I plan on dropping my civic some but im only going to do about 1in to 2in drop max. 4in. and it isn't low enough.......ouch!

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i got GC's too and my rear has a little bit of a negative drop where as my front is dead even no gap but i got the si rim's soooooooooo.......................

baby99si

N/A project has begun....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shinobi said:
yeah, don't cut nuthin man cuz if you do that's like $300+ you just put down the drain. are you rolling on stock wheels cuz a 17" rim should do the job.
Did you just imply that bigger rims make your car lower i cant believe you just siad that :guns:

Get smaller tires thats all you should need to do and someone can correct me if im wrong but my coils got lower with age because they are not as stiff as when they are first put on.

undertheradar

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
edhgreatone said:
well i got GC's too and my rear has a little bit of a negative drop where as my front is dead even no gap but i got the si rim's soooooooooo.......................
As I stated above...if they are installed correctly, the perches should be just about the same # of threads from the bottom (or top) on both the front and rear when the car is set level. So basically, if you spin the collars the same # of threads on all for sleeves before you even put them on the car, the car will sit relatively level all the way around. (Not counting the normal Civic driver side lean. =)
Oh, and wheel size will have little to do with this.

pearlgreenciv

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you lower it to much the tires can rub under a hard turn, unless you put a rear upper and lower strut bar on.

undertheradar

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pearlgreenciv said:
if you lower it to much the tires can rub under a hard turn, unless you put a rear upper and lower strut bar on.
This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard! Yes, if you lower it too much you will rub...but strut bars have absolutely nothing to do with it! Please read a little more a nd learn alot more before you give advise. thanks. =)

baby99si

N/A project has begun....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No i think the "put 17" rims that will fix it" has got that beat.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The putting larger rims guy probably just meant to fill in the wheel well.....not lower the car....think before hatin guys..

white2000

3 motors and 34k miles
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll look into seeing if they are on backwards.. so the sleeves with the longer bottom section in rear, and short springs in rear... I do know that when I jack up my car the springs in the front fall about 2" from the shock tower. I'll look into it tomorrow.

pearlgreenciv

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
strutbars help prevent chassis flex, you do get some flex when turning hard. strutbars do help, its not all coilovers for a suspension setup. i use to get tire rub on my EX until i added a strutbar. so dont shut me down dude. what the hell do mean by saying strutbars have nothing to do with cornering. if your so f**king smart exlain to the "dumb" guy.

undertheradar

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pearlgreenciv said:
strutbars help prevent chassis flex, you do get some flex when turning hard. strutbars do help, its not all coilovers for a suspension setup. i use to get tire rub on my EX until i added a strutbar. so dont shut me down dude. what the hell do mean by saying strutbars have nothing to do with cornering. if your so f**king smart exlain to the "dumb" guy.
I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest here...but, I never said they didn't affect cornering, and yes they do reduce chassis flex, but there is no way the chassis flexes so much that it would cause your tires to rub. Rubbing is usually from the wrong offset on the wheels and/or the car being lowered too much.
The guys post was about the car not getting low enough in the rear, I suggested a solution, thats all. I just hate to see throwing out inaccurate information...sorry if it got your panties in a bunch. :D