LS-Type r, Gsr, or B16 Head???

91sib16

5+ Year Member
i have a 1995 Ls bottom end and im wondering if a type-r head is better than gsr or b16. i just bought the type-r head for $600 at trick engineering in N/H how much power will it put down with the ls bottom and the type-r head? looking to get around 200h.p.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you even sure you can get a B18C5 Type R head?
I don't see too many people parting out Type Rs.

B16 is going to be more accessible and for the money you save you can get a mild PnP and some cams to pretty much make your own Type R head.

B18C1 is nice for mild build street car provided you keep the stock short and long runner intake manifold.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you even sure you can get a B18C5 Type R head?
I don't see too many people parting out Type Rs..
i just bought the type-r head for $600 at trick engineering in N/H .

How much power will it put down? Care to go into any greater detail on your plans? Are you thinking of just throwing a stock Type R head onto a stock LS block and shooting for 200 hp? Have fun.

Build it, dyno it, come back and tell us how much power it is making.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Gsr head makes good power, I'd rather have it than a b16 head. Type Rs are super expensive and finding one is rediculous and expensive. Slap a single runner intake manifold on the gsr and your good to go, at least a 180 hp motor with i/h/e to the crank of course.

ca6vtec

Dwapara Yuga
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gsr head makes good power, I'd rather have it than a b16 head. Type Rs are super expensive and finding one is rediculous and expensive. Slap a single runner intake manifold on the gsr and your good to go, at least a 180 hp motor with i/h/e to the crank of course.
you don't need to slap a single runner manifold on a GSR head, once you remove the vac lines, it runs on the longer runners.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
you don't need to slap a single runner manifold on a GSR head, once you remove the vac lines, it runs on the longer runners.
you mean shorter runners, but it would have a better plenum and route to the valves.

fitbmx1986

speed safely
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so you bought the Type arrrrrrh head then decided to ask which one was better?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd be willing to say about 160 whp or a little more.
realy? damn, i have a GSR with a AEBS manifold on it, header and exhaust, with a stock Type R intake sytem on my 95 hatch

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Longer.. The plenum closes on idle, remove the vac line and it's stays open.
That is what I was trying to say, that they open at 5700 rpm and go to the shorter runners, before that they run on the longer ones to give it better driveability/torque.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
realy? damn, i have a GSR with a AEBS manifold on it, header and exhaust, with a stock Type R intake sytem on my 95 hatch
well, one with a short ram intake/ hytech header, and some skunk 2 exhaust on a completely stock gsr makes around that much, the intake mani you have will probably knock it up a few hp.

ca6vtec

Dwapara Yuga
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is what I was trying to say, that they open at 5700 rpm and go to the shorter runners, before that they run on the longer ones to give it better driveability/torque.
last time.. u have it backwards.. at 57 it turns to longer runners.. before that is shorter.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
last time.. u have it backwards.. at 57 it turns to longer runners.. before that is shorter.
Dude, you really do not get it. For the last time for real, I have an Ls/vtec and a gsr. I can look at both of them, they both have gsr heads, The Ls/vtec has a single runner mani now. The lever for the Iabs is on the bottom, making the shorter runners on the bottom. Longer runners opening at high rpms doesn't do anything but hurt horsepower, they were designed to make torque on the longer runners below 5700 rpms, vtec engages at 4400 rpms, and the IABs open up at 5700 rpms, switching to shorter/lower runners making better high end power than a long curvy runner. And no, I don't have it backwards, I can look at either of my motors and know that the lowers open, you apparently don't like being wrong, and you apparently need visual proof so lookie here. http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0307ht_1988_honda_crx_drag_racing_cylinders_suspension/index.html I didn't make any of the drawings on the pics, I jacked them from another site, but the end of the aft that the butterflies run on is clearly visible on the lower runner.

Ltrain

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ctr head all the way...superior air flow, there$ but u can get it new from certain websites....

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i have a 1995 Ls bottom end and im wondering if a type-r head is better than gsr or b16. i just bought the type-r head for $600 at trick engineering in N/H how much power will it put down with the ls bottom and the type-r head? looking to get around 200h.p.
u can get a brand new type r head from acura for about $1200.

if u plan on leaving the head stock, get one of those. if u want to build it....GSR all the way.

as far as your power gains, check this thread out: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1583606

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i THINK my brother's head (which is way 91sib16 is talking about) is CTR cus it says PR3-1 on the cylinder head, i was told it was integra type r but its listed as CTR:what:

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i THINK my brother's head (which is way 91sib16 is talking about) is CTR cus it says PR3-1 on the cylinder head, i was told it was integra type r but its listed as CTR:what:
Another option is you got screwed, does it have signs of the pnp from the factory, have you looked at the valve springs.