LS-Type r, Gsr, or B16 Head???

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i hope not, i have done business with this guy before and he is honest with me so i hope he didnt screw me. i paid $600 for the type r head (including cams and cam gears) (with stock type r intake manifold and all studs and hardware) and then he sent the head to the machine shop to have new valve seals installed and the vtec-conversion

i will take pics and post them
maybe you give me a better idea of wats going on here

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you probably cant tell s**t from these pics cus theyre from my phone and they suck
i will try to get better ones of my digital camera
any comments guys? throw em out there :???:

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cam caps? whats that? i have cams and cam gears

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The cam caps are the things that hold the cams in their places, and then the cam oil tubes go above them, If you don't have them, then that is very bad. I'd want a refund, even if it was a type R head, you would be better off with a regular b16 head than to buy that stuff and spend even more money.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
cam caps? whats that? i have cams and cam gears
just take it to the scrap yard and get whatever its weight is worth in aluminum.... maybe $14.

you've made a rather common mistake. the cam caps are the things that HOLD the cams in place. they cannot be purchased.....

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im sure everything is intact, it goes like this: the head is going back to the shop where i bought to be installed on a 97 b18b1 block so whatever problems may be it will be the guy that sold it to me's troubles, not mine.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if u dont have the cam caps it'll never work.
Like he's saying, it is really bad. It is kinda like having a bottom end that has no main caps which is useless b/c they are bored at the same time and even if you put other main caps on it, if they are even 1/2 thousandth off they are completely useless.

Last edited:

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if he doesnt understand the cam caps, he doesnt understand the main caps.

It would be like having 14" tires and 15" wheels.....useless.

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha who ever said there wasnt cam caps in the head??? i dont know what they look like so i cant tell u if they are missing, but i am assuming they are there. the head came off a running car, the head was in a turbo civic before, so it was functional when pulled off the motor

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well, there aren't any in your pictures, what we are talking about is what holds the cams in the head with all the bolts and such.

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im gonna have to let u know once i bring the head to the shop. i have the cams and cam gears separate, they are not shown in the pics
ill let u know regardless tho

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
all the bolts and everything are in plastic bags as well, i have a bunch of bolts and metal things going to the head so they might be in there

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
post pics of everything that is included with the head.

those "metal things" are probably the cam caps.

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
okay, i am at college right now, and the head is at home with my brother, but i know EVERYTHING that was given to me, i wrapped everything invidually with plastic wrap so i know all the pieces and parts.

are the "cam caps" that your talking about the (2) long metal slates on the very top on the head in these pictures???

if so, then yes, i do have them, they are wrapped up at my house with the cylinder head. i have all the bolts and hardware too.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
no. its the 5 pieces underneath them. right above the cams. holding the cams in.

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
okay i know what your talking about now, the little metal piece, they should be there. ill post pics of everything wen i go home..

and yes that is a pic from ebay i used to explain myself