Mansers 96 Gsr Swapped Si Slow Build

Manser

Nice build buddy, and it love it cause it seems you have very good God given patience, so with that being said you better most definitely keep up the great work cause I'd love to see you get this thing all the way to your likings ;)

...and as far as an over all sum of your car, Im not sure but here it could go easily 4-4500 :thumbs up
That could be a while.. Im going to community college this year but its 2 hours away so I had to rent an appartment so with all the added expense progress on the car as of now is going to be extremely slow.. But in saying that, after my 1 year course I plan on buying a peakboost turbo kit and building the motor :D

K00PA

Registered VIP
That could be a while.. Im going to community college this year but its 2 hours away so I had to rent an appartment so with all the added expense progress on the car as of now is going to be extremely slow.. But in saying that, after my 1 year course I plan on buying a peakboost turbo kit and building the motor :D
Nice, well I'll say one thing, it doesnt matter how long it takes! As long as it keeps you happy day by day just know it'll be good to you as much as you're good to it and it'll turn out great! Especially at the rate you're going!

Manser

Alright guys, I really need your guys' feedback on this.. I plan on slightly rebuilding my motor this winter.. basically just sprucing it up so that it runs to spec again, and gets rid of the small oil burning/smoking. Heres a list of parts that I think ive decided on ordering.. Id like to keep my budget around 1000-1200 at most..
Cometic Top End Gasket Kit(includes the following):
MLS Headgasket
Valve Cover Set
Intake Manifold Gasket
MLS Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Cam Seal Set
Water Outlet Gasket
Intake/Exhaust Valve Stem Seals
Throttle Body Gasket
Thermostat Gasket

Hastings Piston Rings ? (Wheres a good website to order these from for a decent price? And are these a good ring or is there another one I should go with?)
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
Ferrea Valve Seals
ARP Headstuds
Cometic Bottom End Gasket Kit
ACL Race Bearings
ARP Main Studs
Type-R Oil Pump ? (Ive been told that theres no difference between a type r oil pump and a stock acura 1.8 oil pump? Just wondering if that was true?)

All of the above came to about 980$.. I do plan on getting the cylinder walls honed as well. I also thought about buying an AEM wideband because I plan on running Hondata as soon as I can afford it after the rebuild and it wouldnt hurt to have it after the rebuild..

Just wondering what you giuys thought of the parts I plan on buying? Are there others you recommend over something I have listed and if so why? Is there anything else Im missing? The timing belt was just replaced 60xxx KM'S ago with an OEM Honda belt so it doesnt need to be replaced again.. Just Help me out please! Thanks.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
MLS isn't bad but in my experience and reading nothing's better than an oem head gasket. That being said my rebuild consisted of a fel pro head gasket kit, sold the head gasket and valve stem seals then got oem Honda head gasket and valve stem seals lol. I have a type R oil pump and it's the same part number as every other b series of that year, so get whatever u want. If you get the Honda intake manifold gasket you'll most likely also need extended manifold studs. I know that first hand lol, so make sure you pic some up as well

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would do your water pump awhile and tensioner and spring. and in all honest a gates timing belt, water pump, and tensioner kit is cheap so you might as well do it all. its cheap and if its out you might as well

also, i would go with oem bearings since they are more specific

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great build you have here. Very inspiring. As Mistah said, OEM are always highly recommended.
I ran Cometic gasket kits on my boosted b18, and I had no problems. The thicker head gasket combined with ARP headstuds was a really nice fit. If you're going to boost, prep the car while you have it all apart. Your b18c1 is a high-revving, high compression ratio motor. If you want to make good reliable power, reduce compression with pistons and rods, and have the block sleeved. You're gonna spend money if you go this route, though. Just something to think about! Keep up the great work, this car is REALLY clean and well done.

Manser

Great build you have here. Very inspiring. As Mistah said, OEM are always highly recommended.
I ran Cometic gasket kits on my boosted b18, and I had no problems. The thicker head gasket combined with ARP headstuds was a really nice fit. If you're going to boost, prep the car while you have it all apart. Your b18c1 is a high-revving, high compression ratio motor. If you want to make good reliable power, reduce compression with pistons and rods, and have the block sleeved. You're gonna spend money if you go this route, though. Just something to think about! Keep up the great work, this car is REALLY clean and well done.
Thanks.. Yes I do plan to boost it, and ive already looked into pistons/rods/etc and I know its highly expensive.. thats why its out of my budget this time.. because after this slight rebuild I plan on working and just paying off my student loan and hopefully buying an 06-08 si daily driver so im gonna need money for a loan down payment.. But as you said, cometic makes a thicker headgasket, so ill get that because i had plans on getting the ARP studs. Thanks for all the input guys! Its really appreciated! And Mistah I had actually planned on selling the cometic vave seals, but do you guys think I should go with OEM seals or an upgraded seal such as Ferrea or Supertech? And Bitties ill deffinately look into the Gates kit, Might be able to work it into the budget somehow. As you guys know my cars been acting up lately and it still hasnt stopped (replaced plugs, wires and plug seals) so tomorrow im going to honda to see about a distributor cap, i already bought a rotor button and im going to check my valves because one of my buddies told meit happened to him in his prelude and thats what it was.. so hopefully it stops doing it and i wont have to keep dumping money into it.. but again, Thank you for al the input, it is all greatly appreciated!

Manser

MLS isn't bad but in my experience and reading nothing's better than an oem head gasket. That being said my rebuild consisted of a fel pro head gasket kit, sold the head gasket and valve stem seals then got oem Honda head gasket and valve stem seals lol. I have a type R oil pump and it's the same part number as every other b series of that year, so get whatever u want. If you get the Honda intake manifold gasket you'll most likely also need extended manifold studs. I know that first hand lol, so make sure you pic some up as well
Is this what you meant by extended manifold studs?
http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=8811&idcategory=0

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah you'll need something like that for the Hondata intake gasket. I bought one and it don't fit on my manifold and I was too impatient to take trips to various autopaint hardware stores at 6pm after the Italy kragen didn't have it so my gaskets just sitting in the garage right now lol

Manser

Alright guys, I need some advice again.. I'm looking at getting New mounts for my car over the winter to put it back in with.. Ive heard awesome things about hasport mounts, but I've also heard that the vibrate like crazy.. My buddy has Innovative mounts in his em1 and he said they only vibrated bad for the first 5k km's then they were fine.. I was just wondering if any of you had ever used any of these mounts and could give me some feedback or if theres others you'd reccomend..?

Also, heres some recent pics of the car..
Last drive/wash with the ole girl before winter storage.. :(

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l537/GManser8/FallampGarrettsMotor036.jpg/img]
[img]http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l537/GManser8/FallampGarrettsMotor040.jpg

And heres what we did to her after that final drive/wash...

Thats the only pictures I got right now on the computer of the swap, I need to take some of the ones off my phone, so ill update with more pics soon, but as of right now shes just sitting in the barn waiting to be torn apart for her rebuild =)

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awww s**t! It's gettin REAL! Hasport mounts are great. If I were going b-series, I'd use em. They have a really good reputation.

Sub'd for future updates btw haha.

Manser

Awww s***! It's gettin REAL! Hasport mounts are great. If I were going b-series, I'd use em. They have a really good reputation.

Sub'd for future updates btw haha.
Alright, im pretty sure im going with Hasports.. Everything I read is mostly positive besides the vibration, but I mean, thats to be expected when you go with solid mounts right? Anyhow, I dont think im going to be able to get the AEM wideband now because I NEED the mounts more then the wideband. Ive got some money saved up so far.. and theres going to probably be zero updates from now untill christmas unless I get the chance to go home and work on it.. Over the christmas break I want to go home, strip down the bay, give it a real good cleaning and maybe even have it sprayed to match the car.. But again, we'll see how tight money is, seeing as I have bills now :( But if all goes as planned ill have the bay resprayed and a few things tucked (headlight harness', battery to trunk, removing power steering, etc..)

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright, im pretty sure im going with Hasports.. Everything I read is mostly positive besides the vibration, but I mean, thats to be expected when you go with solid mounts right? Anyhow, I dont think im going to be able to get the AEM wideband now because I NEED the mounts more then the wideband. Ive got some money saved up so far.. and theres going to probably be zero updates from now untill christmas unless I get the chance to go home and work on it.. Over the christmas break I want to go home, strip down the bay, give it a real good cleaning and maybe even have it sprayed to match the car.. But again, we'll see how tight money is, seeing as I have bills now :( But if all goes as planned ill have the bay resprayed and a few things tucked (headlight harness', battery to trunk, removing power steering, etc..)
Nice. Yes, you'll get vibration with most solid mounts. Innovative makes some mounts that have rated polyurethane filling to reduce vibration, but I hear mixed things about Innovative mounts...

www.innovativemounts.com

Manser

Yeah.. I'm leaning more towards hasports mainly because there's a ton people using them and I feel as though if they were shitty not so many people would be using them.. plus they have a great reputation! And not as tucked as most, just trying to clean up the bay and make it look nice and neat.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The mounts between the companies mentioned are the same. The inserts are different but not by much. Urethane mounts always cause some initial vibrations because they aren't broken in yet. Solid mounts like you said, are SOLID! A moving object held in place by something solid of choose transfers the vibration elsewhere.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i daily drove my car with hasports and i didnt think it was that bad honestly, there was vibration, but race car?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They're the same. Everyone just copied hasport. Steel, billet, and bushing strength is all you can really choose from.