mechanic salary?

1Lowcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
being a mechanic isn't really fun at all. the only way i want to be a mechanic after college is if i work on alternative fuels. i think i'm going to go for automotive research and design.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you cant get a degree in automotive. it's vocational
Says who?

I was on course for a Automotive Aftermarket Management B.A. ...you know, when I had time for school.
I would have had to finish at Oklahoma City University though

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Go for a deisel mechanic. Pays a lot more.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
100k a year is a very, very good salary. As a mechanic, you will never make that, never. I worked at an oil change and tire place during college and made $11/hr which was good for a job during school (and it was ridiculously easy) but in reality that is s**t pay. Even if you got up to $20/hr that is s**t pay for a long-term, career type job.

ekcivicdx

5+ Year Member
it really depends on where u work, i work at an automall, we have acura, honda, toyota, scion, bmw, nissan, hyundai, and chevy, caddy, and hummer...im in the chevy/caddy/hummer shop, while we are still flatrate we ahve a 40 hour gaurantee, so no matter how many hours you turn(unless you turn more than 40) u always get paid at least 40 hours of ur hourly rate. some of the B techs on my complex making over 100k...depends on how good you are

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would imagine they are working over 40 hrs a week pretty regularly though

DaMechanicEG/EK

5+ Year Member
i started workn for chevy while i waz still in school. 15a hour. moved up to 19 ayear later. depends on how good u are, now i work for a private shop. am on salary pay, dats were its at if u ask me, cus work is slow n i still make $1000 aweek.

ryanM

your not going to get a good mechanic job with just an associates degree.

i'm a tech at the toyota dealership in town and i make the same pay as the people with associates and i dont have ANY automotive schooling or certifications.

AND we only make $8 an hour.

people with real schooling and ASE certifications/master tech status make more though.

Milano01

Old School CC.com'er
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your not going to get a good mechanic job with just an associates degree.

i'm a tech at the toyota dealership in town and i make the same pay as the people with associates and i dont have ANY automotive schooling or certifications.

AND we only make $8 an hour.

people with real schooling and ASE certifications/master tech status make more though.
totally agree with this. Like the OP i am going for a associates degree in Automotive Technology WITH Honda Factory trainning. at this point i need to start looking for a dealership for my COOP inorder to complete my degree. you actually CAN make 100k as a tech however its mostly master techs who make that kinda money. the only proof i have of this is the teachers at my community college, they're all master tech status and even my teacher who is strikely honda has actually made quite close to 100k and was actually offered to join Techline but turned it down because he didnt' wanna move to cali.

I know from fellow classmates who are already in dealerships they're making $9hr and some are on flat rate (which can actually help you make 100k) but that shits hard as f**k and its usually given to Master techs or Tech leaders. but from what ppl have told me here in VA, especially in Southeast VA with a Auto Associates and ASE's under your belt its easy to make $15 hrs and can bump up. also with the associates it gives you a slightly higher edge than walk in guys and could help in getting you out of wrench work and go into mangement.

However it also depends on the area you live in and what the economy in that region is. i know MOST BMW and Volvo dealers make pretty good money. my teacher was talking to us about one day leaving honda like he did and go work for maybe Mazda or in his case Audi and BMW.

Last edited:

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ouch, $8.hr hurts. esp if they are difficult jobs.

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
from what i have heard you can make as little as 20k a year or as much at 75k a year. depends on your skill. If you own your own company or not, market etc etc.

but from all of the responses I have seen so far 9and I didnt read them all) it doesnt seem worth it to go to school spend all that money and make 20 bucks an hour. not with this economy..thats like what 35K a year?
not bad but not by any means would i call that comfortable either..not where I live at least

megamech

5+ Year Member
Auto mechanic expectations

I think that it depends on many factors:

1. first of all - LUCK. It always depends on it. You can study as much as you will but without a little dosis of luck you won't obtain what you want.

2. Market development. As stated by the department of labor the automotive mechanic field is growing http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos181.htm

3. Passion.

4. Passion. If you become an authorized brand mechanic, for example an Audi mechanic could earn a lot http://www.automechanicschools.com/automotive/a/job-expectations-and-salaries-for-audi-mechanics.html but you must be always up to date. And this is impossible if you don't love your work.

Hope to have helped you. good luck!

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're doing it for the pay, you won't last.

Del_Slo

5+ Year Member
wow..im so glad i live where i do.

starting pay is garbage everywhere. 9 maybe 10. but you can work your way up to 20. but the thing about being a mechanic is book rate.
which the handy dandy giant book of it'll take you this long to do this job.

example.
so say you get 10 an hour book rate and hourly to make this easy.
you get a car that should take 3 hours to do.
if you finish it in 2 hours you still get paid for 3.
on the opposite end if it takes you 5 you'll only get paid for 3.
so if your good. you may work 8 hours but have finished 15 hours of book work.
so math time.
80 dollars for straight 8 hours of work.
150 bucks for 8 hours of book work.

now you've made 230 in one day.
you wont start there and thats quite an exaggeration but you'll have to love fixing stuff and cars long before you get the value of being a mechanic.

idk about that degree since it is vocational but im workin on an associate in applied science which is the harder of the two my school has.

and our economy is only crap cuz everyone thinks it is. there really isn't that much of issue that hasn't happened a billion times in the past. seems right as we all leave highschool we all forget what was read in history books. supposed to learn from the past not be shocked everytime something that happened before happens again.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and our economy is only crap cuz everyone thinks it is. there really isn't that much of issue that hasn't happened a billion times in the past. seems right as we all leave highschool we all forget what was read in history books. supposed to learn from the past not be shocked everytime something that happened before happens again.
Right...

Lending almost stopped, sales tax collections are down as much as 20-25% in places, fairly large numbers of people being laid off, economy shrinking last quarter, record numbers of foreclosures and the housing market is incredibly bad (sales of pre-owned houses worst since the depression). Yep, sounds just like it's all in our heads :roll:

We have been spending too much money as a country. We cant and shouldn't continue to spend more than we make each year. We need responsible savings and investing and things will come back to normal eventually, but this isn't just a panic. There are some serious issues that need to be corrected before the markets will return to normal. Granted there is some panic, exacerbating things, but there are some underlying fundamental issues as well.

Del_Slo

5+ Year Member
ok there is that part.
i didn't say it was ALL in our heads. more that things like this have happened before and we freak out now and we freaked out then but if we have a now we made it through last time.

the major problem is us and can easily be stopped. idiots that bought 500k houses they knew they couldn't afford and the fact the government runs way more then they are constitutional originally made to do.
wastes tons of money.

we do live way beyond our means. but we've been doing that for a long long time.
but we survived the great depression and bounced back.
plus war. profitable in more ways then one.
makes more jobs and needed people.
when we finish war half of what we needed to make for the war isn't needed anymore. so people get laid off and likewise.

other major issue is f**king welfare. don't even need to explain that one i hope. we all know someone completely capable of working but don't because they can get free money from us and just have 8 babies and get even more money.