Milano red EJ1 w/ b16a2 swap, auto to manual conversion, plus extras!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Being a one car family blows the big one. Buy this on Craigs for $250. Lady claims it won't start, wants it gone. Lesson 1: When people on Craigs say the car doesn't run and they don't know why, bring a good battery. Get it home, sell on Cragis for $1500 5 days later.

Now I have a little money to play with so I check Craigs again. Find this for $800. Two guys went half on it, one guy moves, other guy knows nothing about cars so he just wants his money back. Cool with me. Doesn't run or idle. Needs head gasket and timing set right. Easy enough so I jump right in on the first day I have it.

Now, here's where it gets good and why I even joined this site (At this point you're probably like WTH man?! Do you even drive a Civic?) Keep in mind this is the short and dirty version of what actually went on here. There were about 5 more cars in the span of 4 weeks that were bought and sold but not important to the story so I left those out. So, now I have this 94 Integra I've done a complete top end rebuild on that I paid $800 for. She runs like a champ! Pulls hard (for a stock Teg), no smoke, and hey... She even came with a bonus upgraded clutch and flywheel that the previous owners didn't even know about (they never got the car running). So... I'm thinking, you know what... This car has no freaking interior (Seriously, from the front seats back, EVERYTHING was pulled out down to the metal) and I really don't like the dented trunk lid or these retarded Alteza tails. Plus its riding high like a monster truck! YUCK!

So, I put it on Craigs for $5,500 with this photo! (Live in Alaska where the price of a running car in just about any condition is double or more what you guys pay in the lower 48) I figured I had nothing to lose, lets see what happens? Maybe someone will low ball me to $4k and I'll still make out like a bandit. BTW, shows 265,000 miles! Motor was soooooo clean though. Strange. Anyway...

Right after I post it up on Craigs, I'm checking what else is out there and OMGOMGOMG!! I find this:

(Photo taken after I already took ownership)

Guy has it listed for $2500. Says military is moving him and he has to sell the car. I've been wanting a Civic for so long and this may be my chance! Keep in mind i've owned many many more expensive cars in my years. But it's never been the right time nor place. I'll save that story for another thread. So I send the guy a text. "Hey buddy, nice car. I just posted an Integra for sale. Interested in a trade?". I figured maybe i'd get the Civic plus some cash and still be set pretty nice. He responds back and after a few texts, he's on his way to come look.

So as he's driving to my house, i'm scanning through Craigs again and WTH??? I find this!

Guy wants $2500 for it. Came off a 99 Civic Si and includes everything from the car worth having besides the actual car which was scrapped after all the good parts were pulled (Car wreck). So... I text the guy. "Hey buddy. You still have the motor for sale?" This is strange, I sent this message to someone but my text sent shows up to the guy who's on the way here right now. He responds back, "Yes I still have it. I'll tell you about it when I get there."

Funny how that works. Ok, so fast forward through all the details and we agree to trade straight across. My Integra for his 94 civ with a 99Si motor with everything pulled from it to complete the swap plus all the extras he bought to make sure the swap goes smooth PLUS the upgrades he bought while he waited for everything else to arrive. Sweet deal in my book! I've been wanting an 99 SI ever since the 1st day they hit the dealership but my broke a** couldn't afford. This is the next best thing and I love this body style.

Here's some pics of what I got in the trade:

Skunk2 68mm

Rota slipstreams. Just mounted 4 days prior to sale

Plus some other random stuff and stock stuff i'll never use but he didn't want. So, there you have it. Technically money did change hands (though not in this transaction), but not from my bank account. Free? So now I have a civic, I joined this site, and I love it!

Here's the quick and dirty of what i've done since the trade last week.

Not sure who did this, but they should be shot.

So much filth, needed a blaster to get it clean!

Fresh paint!

And back installed. I'll take care of those handles next time.

Tired of the rice already! I hate when people drive around with unpainted bumpers/body kits. I will not stand for that! BTW, i'm an electrical engineer but use the other departments goodies for my own projects :D

I've painted for years and years with an airbrush gun on much smaller projects so using a real auto gun was new to me. I'm pretty sure the settings weren't correct but oh well. The trunk was already beat up anyway so it's not like it made a difference. Paint turned out good though. Milano Red sucks! So expensive for a damn tri coat. Plan to cut and buff tomorrow for the first time. Should be fun.

And last but not least, i've been out in the garage off and on this weekend working on the swap. I'm stuck at the dang drive shafts! ARGH! Going to the parts store tomorrow to get a ball joint puller. Screw this nonsense!

So there you have it. That's my last 3 weeks roughly. I take tons of photos of everything I do so i'll update as much as possible. And... this whole project will be entirely funded from buying/fixing/selling random Craigslist cars. I've got my eye on another Integra (4 door) that doesn't run so... I smell a turbo in my future :thumbs up

Last edited:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks really good man!

Im a barterer myself!

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
More people should be like us MYLOSS.. The world would be a better place.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree!

Keep it up man!

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great work! Wish I could flip cars around like that, but in Alaska is there a law pertaining to how many cars you can sell a year without a dealer license? I think in PA it's around 5 title transfers a year.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
No, there isn't. In fact, when you sell a car here, the registration goes on to the new owner and you do not have to claim how much you sell/buy a car for. It's kinda odd. For all they know i've traded straight across for everything. No cash traded hands. I've not registered anything yet as the previous owners have all already had them up to date. All you have to do is transfer the title to your name. Alaska's sweet like that (I'm fairly new here).

Everywhere else I've lived though i've always avoided that rule of selling how ever many per year by not ever getting them registered in my name after a buy. Then it's like I never owned it. Did that for years and years in North Dakota, Texas, and Colorado.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U must be oilfield like me...

K00PA

Registered VIP
Nice coupe, the trunk lid is in need of some OEM or Carbon replacement!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
U must be oilfield like me...
Close! Good guess. I'm the electronics guy for our helicopters that support the pipeline :thumbs up

I say "the" guy because i'm the only one of us based in Alaska for 19 helo's. So when they aren't flying in the winter i'm up to my neck in wiring modifications for the next summer. Fun work really.

Nice coupe, the trunk lid is in need of some OEM or Carbon replacement!
I know i know.. First things first though. I gotta get it running before the snow comes. I wouldn't have painted it so soon if the car wasn't down for the motor swap. And I probably still would have held off knowing now how much paint was. I've bought tons of paint before but wasn't expecting $200!! :evil: ... Still pissed about that.

K00PA

Registered VIP
Close! Good guess. I'm the electronics guy for our helicopters that support the pipeline :thumbs up

I say "the" guy because i'm the only one of us based in Alaska for 19 helo's. So when they aren't flying in the winter i'm up to my neck in wiring modifications for the next summer. Fun work really.

I know i know.. First things first though. I gotta get it running before the snow comes. I wouldn't have painted it so soon if the car wasn't down for the motor swap. And I probably still would have held off knowing now how much paint was. I've bought tons of paint before but wasn't expecting $200!! :evil: ... Still pissed about that.
Damn! How much paint did you buy?

K00PA

Registered VIP
Damn! How much paint did you buy?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Damn tri coat paint dumb honda sons of beotchiesssss! Totally blows my goat. Qt of base $70, Qt of mid $70, then clear and reducers and junk... Adds up. $200 for a freakn trunk and bumper.. Blows my goat x2!! And the mid isn't even a pearl! As i looked, the Milano Red is the only tri coat paint for the Honda in 92-95. And after doing more research, it looks like Milano red went all base coat after 05 or something like that. Sucks cause I probably could have used it but didn't want to chance the color being off. FML!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice man!

Im in north dakota as we speak workin...

K00PA

Registered VIP
Oh yeah, I forgot Milano red was a tri-based color! For some reason, from the pics inside the paint booth it looked like a roma red!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Nice man!

Im in north dakota as we speak workin...
Williston? A couple years back I had applied for an electronics job with a fracking company there. $23/hr though is too low for this boys resume... Plus with all the oil money there you gotta have like 23 billionty roomates in a one bedroom house just to afford rent.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im in minot. But we work all over.

We have company supplied housing and a pretty decent per diem so its not too awful bad.

Still shítty ass north dakota though.