My civic is not feeling well....Help

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
guys my civic (99 si) feels a bit sluggish....its pretty much stock appart from a few mods (ebay battery stabilizer, performance exhaust, exedy stage 1 organic clutch) which were all done by the previous owner.

to the point.....i was at the stoplights and a vw golf (1.8 gti) with rice ritten all over it pulled up next to me.... anyway we both dragged (for a very short distance) but my civic was finding it difficult to keep up with him and i was left behind...

i had a good launch, i shifted perfectly and i let the vtec rev high in 1st (7000 rpm wen i shifted).

now i know im only a 1.6 and he had a 1.8 but normally my car should have been able to smoke that biatch.

what wrong with my car.. help me and my car...

my car and i thank u in advance....

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you sure it wasn't a 1.8t? If it was, its turbo.

Jliznel

5+ Year Member
well oil change mine feels slugish when i need an oil change could be alot more then that going to need a bit more info on what sounds its making if no sounds change your oil

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
yep im pretty sure man.... the guy looked so RICE i dont even think he knows what a turbo is.

man this bumms im so pissed. i am the worlds no1 golf hater (the car its self is not bad, just the idots in london that drive them make it bad).

i took a massive ass whooping today. unfair

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
are you getting normal gas mileage

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
well oil change mine feels slugish when i need an oil change could be alot more then that going to need a bit more info on what sounds its making if no sounds change your oil
my oil level is more than full its half way up the stick (my dad got a bit carried away) .... do you mean completely drain, flush and then replace the oil.

btw thanks for the help so far guys... this is y i love this forum.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
too much oil isn't a good thing.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So I'm guessing this is the D16 we're talking about? If so, don't worry. D16's are slow and sluggish. You're not alone. Plus with summer heat, they'll be even more sluggish.

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
So I'm guessing this is the D16 we're talking about? If so, don't worry. D16's are slow and sluggish. You're not alone. Plus with summer heat, they'll be even more sluggish.
i have a b16a2 (99 civic si).... WHAT SHAL I DO,... MY CAR IS DYING... i dont want to lose it.. n i know u guys here dont want to see a civic go to waste so help me!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oops lol. I'm tired.

Well in that case, B16A's are still kinda sluggish (low end at least). They only have a few more lbs. of torque over a D16 SOHC.

Is the engine showing any problems? Get a compression test. If you really want power, turbo it or swap it with a better engine, or even slap on a B18 (1.8L) block with the B16 head. Plenty of options you could go with if you want more power.

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
im not after a lot of power...im just a bit concerned my civic couldnt rape that golf.... the specs of the civic are wayy higher than that gold and im not that bad of a driver either..... anyone else have an anser to this problem?

could it be the very short lenght of the drag....it was like 200 metres that we had.... his pick up rate was very high though...does the b16 need a bit more room to actually lift off?

SilentMist

10 psi seems like a dream
1. Drain you oil and put 4 courts like your suspose to.

2. Do a Full tune up.

3. You live in lodon Uk that vw was mostlikely 1.8t

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Then do a compression test, leak down test, tune-up (if your car hasn't gotten one in a long time or at all or just needs one), etc.

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
i dont mean to be a penis...but it said that it was a 1.8 golf gti.... unless the guy had f'd about with the badges.. and even if it was a 1.8 turbo shouldnt the 99 civic si be able to handle it?

gleaminrimz

5+ Year Member
what do you mean by tune up? do you mean service the car...fuel filter spark plugs oil filter air filter etc?

how do i ttune it? sorry to be a noob hed

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont mean to be a penis...but it said that it was a 1.8 golf gti.... unless the guy had f'd about with the badges.. and even if it was a 1.8 turbo shouldnt the 99 civic si be able to handle it?
No, just because you have an SI doesnt mean that it is all mighty and powerful. Its still an economy car, with a BIT of pep, but nothing to compare to a turbo.

As far as a tune up, maybe the air filter, oil change, tranny fluid (if its been a while), water pump, timing belt, thermostat,

Thats one place to start.

xNOBOOSTx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont judge a book by its cover man, ive seen alot of guys with FAST cars in my area rice em out so people look at em and dont think much.... then the rice smokes em. The Golf was prolly a 1.8T, in that case your care didnt stand much of a chance. Hell ive beat a SI once with my Car which only has I/H/E on a Dseries. All about the driver.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oops lol. I'm tired.

Well in that case, B16A's are still kinda sluggish (low end at least). They only have a few more lbs. of torque over a D16 SOHC.

Is the engine showing any problems? Get a compression test. If you really want power, turbo it or swap it with a better engine, or even slap on a B18 (1.8L) block with the B16 head. Plenty of options you could go with if you want more power.
He's not asking how to make his car faster, something is wrong with it and he wants to fix it.

Sounds like you may just need a tuneup, oil change, clean/replace filter, spark plugs and wires...ect.

Btw 1.8t jettas run a 15.7 just like the si does, the gti should be just a hair quicker (it's lighter right?)
So if it was a 1.8t don't worry about it, they run the same time as the si and have a lot better powerband so they usually win on the street. But try a tuneup like Sk8shorty and I said =)