1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

My "D" light keeps blinking

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by skindy, May 29, 2009.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. skindy

skindy The Queen 5+ Year Member

So, before I have someone tow my car to get it looked at, I figured maybe I'd post in here and see if you guys could give me some ideas to try myself. I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX!

The problem:
    I turned the car on and immediately noticed that my "Check Engine" light came on. I thought nothing of it at the moment and put my car into drive and started to accelerate. It accelerated for maybe 20 seconds (going past 5mph) before I could feel like a small jerk (like as if my car just went into neutral) and my drive light (the "D" on the dashboard) starts blinking. I can't accelerate at all and basically now I'm just coasting along.

I turned my car off and turned it back on.

This time, instead of putting it into drive and accelerating, I just put it into drive and wait. Approx. 15-20 seconds I can feel the small jerk again and the "D" is blinking again.

My car was fine the day before. I didn't feel any slipping with the transmission at all or anything funky with it. I checked my transmission fluid and I've still got plenty. I searched online for the problem and the solution and a lot of people have suggested taking it to an AutoZone to pull the error codes for free. This would work if I could get my car to move from it's parking spot.

So I'm hoping maybe there is something else I can do before I cave in and pay someone to tow it and take it to a shop. I hope I gave you guys enough info!

2. 31dev31

31dev31 Chillin' Canadian Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Get it scanned, and figure it out from there.

3. skindy

Yeah, I know I should do that eventually (as stated in my post) but I was hoping to get some other ideas before I have to get it towed to get it scanned. Thanks though =)

4. Szady

Szady D-Series Master Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

If you live close enough to advanced or autozone, borrow their scanner, run home, scan the code, then bring it back. :lol:

Can you jump the service connector on 7th Gens like you can with 6th Gens?

5. skindy

Haha, I wish they WERE that lenient! ;)
    As for your question, I don't know but it would be helpful :(

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Tin Foil Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

so...will the engine run when its just idleing and no problems? is it just when you try and drive or put it in drive?