My first Civic

ragedeep

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check out the honda civics specs tab up top, helped me out alot when choosing my car, cause i wanted the z6 engine, and the guys here are decent also.

Broken Wings

Nismo Nut
5+ Year Member
The d15b5 jdm engine puts out 5 more horse than the z6. and its really easy to squeeze a decent amount of horsepower because of its large aftermarket support.

victor.m

5+ Year Member
The d15b5 jdm engine puts out 5 more horse than the z6. and its really easy to squeeze a decent amount of horsepower because of its large aftermarket support.
There is no JDM D15B5, it's a D15B. JDM engines don't have the following number =) And I'd go with it over the d16z6, it's what I had in my EJ1 and they're nice little engines, for a SOHC. Overall it's the same as the D16Z6 but with a bit less displacement, either or, they're really about the same except for the D15's shorter stroke/higher comp.

Anyways, welcome to the Honda game =)

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a d15b boosted to 6lbs, pretty quick and a great engine. id sell you just the engine, but im not parting it out lol. You can have the whole car for $3k =]

Broken Wings

Nismo Nut
5+ Year Member
i wanna do my own build. A car isnt really ypurs unless you mod it your self, thanks for the offer tho. lol

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. I am def doing the d15b. I wanna keep it sohc and it seems like the best choice.
ill put it to you this way... your going to pay like $800 dollars for a motor (D15B) that makes a mere 5HP more than a $400 one (D16Z6)

your probably going to want to mod the motor in the future, and its MUCH easier to mod a Z6 than the D15B.
trust me, i know my single cams.

Broken Wings

Nismo Nut
5+ Year Member
I am leaning towards the d15b but If the z6 is really like 400 then i could go ahead and get my new internals and prep for boost.

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Who the hell pays 800 for ANY single cam?!
Both the d16z6 and d15b go for around $300-$500 depending on where you're looking.
Like I've told SO many people on this forum, go to a local motor import shop and buy a d15b. Inspect it to make sure it doesnt say "VTEC-E" on the valve cover, and see if it has a warranty. Most good shops have a 12k mile warranty.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Who the hell pays 800 for ANY single cam?!
Both the d16z6 and d15b go for around $300-$500 depending on where you're looking.
Like I've told SO many people on this forum, go to a local motor import shop and buy a d15b. Inspect it to make sure it doesnt say "VTEC-E" on the valve cover, and see if it has a warranty. Most good shops have a 12k mile warranty.
your not taking into account that hes going to want to change the timing belt, water pump, and possibly oil pump. rear main seal, get a new clutch, plus all the small stuff to just make it run.. so yes about $800 for a single cam.

i dunno bout you, but i dont just toss used motors in my car and expect them to work. ;)

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
your not taking into account that hes going to want to change the timing belt, water pump, and possibly oil pump. rear main seal, get a new clutch, plus all the small stuff to just make it run.. so yes about $800 for a single cam.

i dunno bout you, but i dont just toss used motors in my car and expect them to work. ;)
:word:

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think you misunderstood my statement I made.. I was commenting on the post saying that someone thinks a jdm d15b is $800. ON TOP of the fact that you still have to replace all the essentials.

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And it looks like you have more than just a motor to worry about from what I see in the pics, lol.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think you misunderstood my statement I made.. I was commenting on the post saying that someone thinks a jdm d15b is $800. ON TOP of the fact that you still have to replace all the essentials.
yes, i said $800...
i was just trying to say, when i say a motor cost "X amount" i always tack a few hundred on the motors sale price because any smart person would do a major tune up on it (belt, pumps, clutch ect).

i was also just trying to make the point that the JDM D15B is not worth the money for the extra few HP it makes. just my :twocents:

Broken Wings

Nismo Nut
5+ Year Member
I took the fenders and hood and headlights off. My core support is bent so i am going to fix that before i do anything.
Andd actually the dude wrecked it so ia m fixing everything that got messed up. If only i could trick the insurance into paying for it. Lol. It does run well and it has fenders and a hood(they are beat up of course) but i bought this as a fun project. Also take into account that i have a donor car for all the parts i need.