My first turbo project, suggest,adv,comm pls

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yesterday we tuned a turbo sohc with 440's and a 16g turbo. Both were maxed out at 275whp
Perhaps in reality things work out where they don't in theory.

Or perhaps the injectors are running at greater than 80% duty cycle at max power?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Perhaps in reality things work out where they don't in theory.

Or perhaps the injectors are running at greater than 80% duty cycle at max power?
injectors were at 100% duty cycle at 275whp.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
injectors were at 100% duty cycle at 275whp.
That's why. It's not recommended by the manufacturer to go above 80% duty cycle.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing, it might be just fine at 100% for max power. Sometimes manufacturer recommendations are bullshit. I really don't know on this one.

But if it were my car, I wouldn't go above 80% duty cycle, just to be safe. Just saying.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Every build has it's budget, and this happens to be quite a reasonable one for his goals. If you did not "do a turbo car on a budget!!!!!!!", then 75% of the boosted Civics on here would be stock.

OP, I don't think you're going to be able to squeeze it in buying a kit, though. That Go Auto Works kit is the best deal you'll find for a complete kit, and it's $2000 by itself.

Turbo Kit - $2000
Vitara Pistons/Eagle Rods - ~$600
Tune - ~$300-400

Total: ~$3000.

It's not a question of whether or not you'll have to piece together your build. To reach 250 WHP reliably with $2500, you will have to piece together your own kit (recommended) or buy a complete used kit (not recommended). That's all there is to it.

For reference, here's a list I threw together one time, since I am also planning for boost. I didn't include the piston/rod combo, so throw that on top.

For EJ8 D16Y8:

Need (1st Priority):
Turbo
Wastegate
Manifold
Downpipe
Dump Tube
Air Filter
Charge Piping
Intercooler
Blow-Off Valve
Vacuum Hoses
Oil Lines
Fuel Pump
Exhaust
Catch Can
Engine Management/Tune
Injectors
Gauges
-Oil Pressure
-Boost Pressure
-Air/Fuel Ratio
Cold Heat Range Spark Plugs
Clutch
ARP Headstuds
Oil
Fuel
Turbo Timer

Need (2nd Priority):
Boost Controller
Radiator/Fans
Gauges
-Oil Temp
-Water Temp
-EGT
-Fuel Pressure
Oil Cooler
-Thermostatic Oil Bypass
Shift Linkage Bushings
Half Shafts
Brakes
Boost Timer
Differential

Maintenance:
Compression Test
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Head Gasket

EDIT: And as Kensai said, it may be worth your time/$$$ to buy the non crucial, non high-wear parts used from someone who took a kit off their car, eBay, etc.
A boost controller is 2nd priority?? lol..

And damn, 2000 for that go-autoworks kit and it still has the cast mani lol..

Autoworks

5+ Year Member
Where can I start...

Our kits are designed for with fitment, quality, longevity, horsepower, customer satisfaction, and customer goals in mind. With that said, the Street kit has been proven time and time again to meet each of the above criteria. $1959 for a COMPLETE kit with quality parts is more than fair and it is often had w/ customer coupons available to save money. Each is also backed up with customer support.

Thanks.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A boost controller is 2nd priority?? lol..

Well, if you just wanna run off of what your wastegate spring is. Obviously if you wanted to up the boost from there, you'd need it right away.

And cast manifolds aren't that bad. A little bit worse flow and they're ugly, but they're sure as hell reliable.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Where can I start...

Our kits are designed for with fitment, quality, longevity, horsepower, customer satisfaction, and customer goals in mind. With that said, the Street kit has been proven time and time again to meet each of the above criteria. $1959 for a COMPLETE kit with quality parts is more than fair and it is often had w/ customer coupons available to save money. Each is also backed up with customer support.

Thanks.
:word:

96civic808

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
change in plans

traded my ej6 with a 00 4dr auto plus cash, the offer was good so wat da heck.

i never got the chance to put the turbo to the ej6 so its gona go to my hatch
all stock internals except arp rod bolt/head bolts

goal is around 200whp

i got my self a EH2 now w/ z6
motor
-head just got rebuilt,
-cleaned all parts, just have to put it all together now

the car is at the shop getting a fresh paint but haven't decided what paint any suggestion? no more champ white tho lol.

pics asap!

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the 3 honda colors i personally like are champ white, and you said no to that, the phoenix yellow (type r yellow) and 99-00 si electric blue or w/e its called.