My Mugen eg9 inspired sedan...

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well this weekend I put my car together a little more. It was pretty lame, but not what I'd consider bad. I had a few issues with my energy suspension bushings. I had an issue with them because apparently during the packaging of them they put 2 of the smaller collars in the bag so I couldn't install the correct bolts into the lower control arms. So now I'm going to buy a new set of bushings for a few collars and sway bar bushings. Next week I'm going to focus on getting my wheel bearings, bushings, and brakes ready to put on the car. The suspension will be ready right after I break in the engine and put a few miles on it.
I installed the exhaust also. It went like clockwork for once. It is just as nice as my other 2 sets on my hatches lol.
I was going to replace the rods for my wiper motor but I bought the rods for the wrong wiper motor manufacturer. I might try the hatch assembly I have out in my shed to see if it will fit since the sedan has 2 different manufacturers. We'll see.

Might I say that pressing out the bushings sucks total ass. I heated every one up with a torch before pressing them out. It helped out a lot because the press I used wasn't exactly what a professional would use to press out bushings. It takes time for sure. I hope I don't have to do any of these for some time.

You can see that the outer sleeve on the front control arms where the strut fork would go into, correct? notice the inner diameter being smaller than the inner. my 17mm headed bolt wouldn't line up, I hammered it a few times and noticed it looked like it was on point, so I dropped it down off the ball joint and tried without the fork in the way. Well it was smaller so I have to buy another kit because whoever was packaging that particular kit that day put in the wrong collars because the inner ones with the same size bolt fit fine. It was not a good thing but it could have been worse. I just put a smaller bolt in for the time being until I can roll it back in and change the collar. Here are a few pics of the bushings.

Exhaust installed. It's a very nice exhaust and the sound is superb.

Look for more suspension progress in the near future.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy freakin progress! I hate that the site has slowed down a lot and this thread doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. I love the way this is going, as I always have with all of your other builds. Keep up the good work!

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Holy freakin progress! I hate that the site has slowed down a lot and this thread doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. I love the way this is going, as I always have with all of your other builds. Keep up the good work!
Yeah it' ok though. It is on NWP and a lot of people don't like eg 4 doors. I just build cars that I can be proud of and that I want to drive.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I read every update but I dont comment much. I really look up to your work and show your builds to my honda friends to try and inspire them with your work. "I just build cars that I can be proud of and that I want to drive." I like that.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
If a car is built right then it ALMOST doesn't matter what make or model it is IMO. Except maybe a neon ;)

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I got my order, or most of my order, from Summit Wednesday. I get the best prices on most stuff that other places sell but they ship it out way faster. I've had it the next day but I usually get it within 2 days. My rear sway bar bushings had to be shipped out of Ohio so I don't have those yet. I don't really need them yet so I'm fine with that. I had to order the strut set again for a couple of bolt sleeves since someone put the wrong ones in the bag when they were initially packaged. Now I have the correct set so I can bolt up my suspension and take this thing for a drive down the road. I should have some progress pics and have broken it in this weekend.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yay for being able to drive it!

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I wasn't expecting for anything to arrive today. I got my rear sway bar bushings in the mail today. No, they won't be installed until I get my suspension mods done and on, which unfortunately due to their cost will be at least a month or so. I still need brake rotors, to install my lower ball joints, to install my trailing arm bushings and to install all new wheel bearings. So needless to say I've got my hands full. Sanding is pretty cheap though, and there is plenty of that to go around, so I'll probably start painting all the pieces of the car minus the body until I can round up the funds to buy new suspension.
Today I really didn't do a whole lot of work to the car since I got around to working on it about 3pm. I installed my bolt sleeves into my front lower control arms and bolted all the front suspension up. I also installed my new front sway bar bushings so everything up front is new suspension wise. The rear will follow later, lol. I also have an issue with the clutch releasing lower than it should. I bought a new Honda clutch slave cylinder, the clutch was good last time I drove with it, there aren't any air bubbles in the line because I bled it more today and nothing but clear fluid came out of the line without any bubbles at all. I'm going to have to think it's my clutch master cylinder since it's far cheaper than the clutch. It does look to have been replaced in the recent past though. I hate setbacks but there's only so many things that it could be.
Rear sway bar bushings.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wish i could do as much work on my project as you. Killin it!

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well I got a little bit of work done today. I was going to take it out for a ride, but I forgot I hadn't bled any of the brakes. I then drove the car back in the garage for a good bleed down. The brakes in the car are s**t. I bled and bled and bled them but they are crap. Maybe all the pads are junk? Maybe the prop valve is clogged or something? I was getting pure new brake fluid by the end and the pedal was mediocre at best. There wasn't any air and the master cylinder is new and puts out fluid. I made sure the fluid came out of the prop valve for the rears. Maybe the brakes are semi frozen up but they stop when you twist them while bleeding. Maybe the rubber lines are decayed internally some? If the problem is still there I'm going to attack other pieces of the system such as the prop valve, new(again) master cylinder etc. At least the lines will be replaced and none of the other brake components will be there other than the booster, master cylinder, prop valves and lines.
The clutch was engaging poorly when I first started but apparently I needed just to drive it and break it into the freshly resurfaced flywheel. It engages higher in the pedal with smoother engagement also. It's strange just to think that driving it made it feel so much better.
The car drives, well, like you took off all the suspension components and didn't get a wheel alignment which is exactly what happened. The tires are also not the best. As for the engine, which was why I was driving, it performed extraordinarily well. No codes to speak of, it's quiet, vtec works and the car is far more powerful than my hatch. Hitting the gas even a little feels so much different than a car that I drive over 60 miles a day. I didn't get any pictures because I was driving it because that would be dangerous lol. I'll be doing more suspension work in the coming weeks. After I get an alignment I can finally get her up to my work and get a tag and insurance.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well today I decided to experiment with replacing my front wheel bearings with an old hub I had lying around that had a bad wheel bearing in it anyways. I decided if I was going to screw it up, then this one would be ok do to learn how on. I knew you had to press them out from the back and I remembered there was a snap ring in there but for some reason I was thinking it was in the back. I tried and tried to press it out. I was bending the steel plates I was holding it in place with so I was thinking it was just stuck. I heard it pop like it was coming out. Well it turns out it moved but it was wanting to press the face out of the hub. I then pressed out the center to find my snap ring pooched out and not wanting to come out. I was like, dang this hub is crap. The spindle is still good, and I practiced taking the race off the spindle. Luckily I have a bearing splitter so that wasn't much of a task. It was my first pressed in bearing, so I was ok with the learning because it was mine and just a leftover. I would never try that on something I didn't have a backup on. I'll probably be getting my new bearings in a couple of days, and I'll be ready for them bearing wise before they come. I'll probably tear them down to install the bearings tomorrow. I'll also buy the necessary attachments to install my new ball joints. Again I'm going to practice on my old spindle first. I feel that spindle will be visiting my scrap metal pile soon. Here's my experiment.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
What are you using to press in the bearing and ball joint, besides the splitter? The right tools make all the difference in these types of jobs.