need some suggestions, reallly bad mpg

techlogic31

5+ Year Member
i have an 05 civc VP with just a cold air intake. i recently did an oil change prior to a road trip to chico. i had half a tank figuring id be fine. its a civic common. i only got approxx 2hrs of drive time goin 70 before i nearly hit E. whats goin on? what could cause me to get such shiiiiity mileage while cruising? i did a road trip to Santa Barbra from SF and got there on a full tank with gas to spare with the same car load. any suggestions?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
mileage on the car?

franklin-hid

your moms boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmmm.....fuel filter replaced?ever?tune up time?

techlogic31

5+ Year Member
ive done oil. bout to do tranny fluid. but can a fuel filter really f**k up the gas that much?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
/\ :werd:
Do you know EXACTLY how bad your gas mileage is? Best way to find out is get your tank filled, reset the mileage counter, ride out a couple gallons to about half your tank, get your tank filled again, divide the miles you drove by the amoung of gallons it took to fill your tank.

The other thing is that you might not have had half a tank when you left, your gas gauge isnt always that accurate. :what:

techlogic31

5+ Year Member
i dont know what exact shitty mileage is persay. buti couldnt have gone farther than 130 miles on bout half a tank. it was like 1hr 45min of driving. wasnt gasing off and on to pass or anything, just cruisin.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Like I said, that might just be the fact that you didnt start out with half a tank, its not uncommon for a gas gauge to be uncommon by 1/8 of a tank, especially if your driveway is angled or things like that. If you started out with 3/8 of a gas tank instead of 4/8 (1/2) then 130 miles wouldnt be TOTALLY shitty, it wouldnt be what it probably should be, just not great. Id say do a tune-up.
When you changed the oil did you change the oil filter? The spark plugs SHOULD be good, but check them anyway. Low tire pressure can negativly effect gas mileage. Do you normally drive aggressively even though you werent on this trip? Also try what I suggested before to see what your gas mileage really is.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
also check to see if you have a bad o2 sensor. if your sensor is reading that your getting too much air then it would tell the ecu to dump more fuel into the engine thus causing you to run richer than normal and causing you to have bad mpg

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
When I was getting bad mileage, it was mostly due to tire pressure. It was at about 17 psi. I raised it back up to 30+ and I gained 4 mpg. Just my experience.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Check up on all these things, let us know how it goes.

awenthol

5+ Year Member
Like mentioned...the gauge isn't a guarentee. THe only way to truely tell is miles per gallon...

But yes, it would be a good idea to change fuel filter, spark plugs, check/clean/replace air filter, check tire pressure, etc....

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
I was getting bad gas mileage and changed a few things...boom! right back were I used to be.

K&N drop in filter, pulled out throttle body and throughly cleaned it, one small bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner, had tires balanced, and made sure all hoses were in working order and snug, and dropped in 4 NGK iridium IX spark plugs.

Went from bad, to around 37-38mpg highway.

BTW, I have 90,000 on my civic.

awenthol

5+ Year Member
Cruise is your friend.
Actually, "they" say your sapposed to "cruise" yourself and not get into the throttle on the grades (ie, keep as much intake vac as possible) but, the cruise on these cars seems pretty conservative when it comes to throttling....

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
Actually, "they" say your sapposed to "cruise" yourself and not get into the throttle on the grades (ie, keep as much intake vac as possible) but, the cruise on these cars seems pretty conservative when it comes to throttling....
I get better mpg when I set the cruise on the highway.

chavalo89

5+ Year Member
Dude, check your tyres!
I pumped my today. I had less than 20 psi in one of them. Filled it to 40 psi.
Huge difference! The drive feels so much smoother.
I have to drive an hour just to get to uni. Much better mpg or km/L in Aus =).