New alternator not charging

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats what i had blown, recharging my battery or jumping it and letting it run for awhile kept it good long enough for me to find out what was wrong. My battery lasted quite awhile before i started having dimmed lights and crazy gauge cluster needles.

RonJ

Banned
thats what i had blown, recharging my battery or jumping it and letting it run for awhile kept it good long enough for me to find out what was wrong. My battery lasted quite awhile before i started having dimmed lights and crazy gauge cluster needles.
The engine won't run at all if 80A fuse 41 is blown.

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
will the car start anr run with the 4 pin plug not hooked up.I am going to un hook it to see if its the problem

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
not sure lol but it didnt work.I am lost and dont understand i sent it out to get checked.The alt guy said it was on the machine charging at 14.4.So i bring it home and install it and nothing still charging 12.1.I checked underhood and under dash fuse boxes.replaced the number 15 fuse with the same fuse form a spare nd nothing.I am lost need help dont understand it tested fine now it doesnt work

RonJ

Banned
...i sent it out to get checked.The alt guy said it was on the machine charging at 14.4.So i bring it home and install it and nothing still charging 12.1.I checked underhood and under dash fuse boxes.replaced the number 15 fuse with the same fuse form a spare nd nothing.I am lost need help dont understand it tested fine now it doesnt work
Try to answer all of these questions:

Is your battery and charging system modified?

Is there battery voltage at fuse 15?

Does the dash charge/battery light remain on with the engine running? Does this dash light work?

Does the large wht or wht/red wire attached to the alternator have battery voltage?

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
how do i check the red and white wire.I forgot to mention this is a high output alt and found a thread satting to run the power directly from the alt to the batt and leave the existing wire to the fuse box ever heard of that

1.yes
2.yes how do i check
3.yes/yes
4.how do i do this

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dman, i wna jump in an help, but Ron's pretty much on the ball.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your alternator wiring on the fuse box. I did the same thing as you and it turned out that my wire arced and left that burn dust crap and wasnt making a good connection. Sand the metal tab on the fuse box where the alt. wire goes.

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
only question now when talking about the white wire (pos) going from alt to bat.There is also a white and red wire coming fom the green clip the clips in to the alt.

RonJ

Banned
how do i check to see if the 15 fuse is getting 12 volts
Click here to learn how to test whether a fuse is good and has voltage.

Basically, turn the key to ON(II) and then ground the black probe of your multimeter to the frame under the dash and touch the red probe of your multimeter to each of the two small metal tabs at the top of the fuse. You should read battery voltage from both tabs. If so, the fuse is good and is getting proper voltage.

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
well I checked the fuse and got same voltage ive been getting which is just the batts 12.1 and it gets lower cause im only running on the batts alt is not charging for some reason

RonJ

Banned
...I forgot to mention this is a high output alt...
1.yes

Is the high output alternator the only mod to the charging system and its circuit? Or have you modified the system as you describe here:

"and found a thread satting to run the power directly from the alt to the batt and leave the existing wire to the fuse box ever heard of that"

I asked "Does the dash charge/battery light remain on with the engine running? Does this dash light work?
You answered:

3.yes/yes

This helps to focus your troubleshooting. I'll post more after you reply to questions here.

4.how do i do this...how do i check the red and white wire.

Touch the red multimeter probe to the nut holding the LARGE Red/Wht wire to the alternator and the black meter probe to the negative battery post. You should measure battery voltage.

loudferio13

5+ Year Member
Okay checked big white wire from alt to batt pos its okay.Did this with ohm reading
I did wanna ask is there a starter fuse in the civics someone said it could be that.
Sorry to be a pain i just cant seem to find the problem.
I still need to check all the 4 wires on the harness tommorow

RonJ

Banned
You are not answering the questions. Stay focused.

Is your charging system modified besides the high output alternator?

Does the large alternator wire have battery voltage at the alternator?

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay checked big white wire from alt to batt pos its okay.Did this with ohm reading
I think your missing what I am saying. You need to physically disconnect the wire from the fusebox and inspect the contact point. On mine, the alternator blew send a arc to the fusebox. When it did that, there was some residue on the contact point. I had to sand the contact in order to get a good alternator connection again.