New high school civic owner

emerican

Registered VIP
I have 15" Honda alloy wheels w/tires for sale, if interested.

True, but I sure wouldn't waste my money on a crappy quality exhaust either.
I havent had any problems with my Yonaka exhaust and every review i have read for it has been good.

mlariviere

oh and since I didn't do a mod list, i guess ill do one (a puny, all cosmetic one):

SI spoiler
SI Taillights
Type-R Front lip
mesh front grille
flat black emblems
JDM shift knob

no performance mods yet, I was kinda looking for some advice on where to start.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Looks like a great clean base to work off of!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I havent had any problems with my Yonaka exhaust and every review i have read for it has been good.
The ones I have seen for the 6th gen Civic seem to stick out from the bumper and have a ridiculous 4.25 tip.

oh and since I didn't do a mod list, i guess ill do one (a puny, all cosmetic one):

SI spoiler
SI Taillights
flat black emblems
JDM shift knob
You need to educate yourself.

Si spoiler - no such thing as they were not standard nor exclusive to the Si model. There are two optional spoilers available, a low one and a higher one.

Si tail lights - again, no such thing. Half red/clear tails were cosmetic upgrade that all 99-00 Civic coupes received.

Flat black emblems you can DIY.

JDM shift knob - what does that even mean?

mlariviere

The ones I have seen for the 6th gen Civic seem to stick out from the bumper and have a ridiculous 4.25 tip.

You need to educate yourself.

Si spoiler - no such thing as they were not standard nor exclusive to the Si model. There are two optional spoilers available, a low one and a higher one.

Si tail lights - again, no such thing. Half red/clear tails were cosmetic upgrade that all 99-00 Civic coupes received.

Flat black emblems you can DIY.

JDM shift knob - what does that even mean?
sorry i wasn't technical enough for you, some people on club civic are just so warm and welcoming!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry i wasn't technical enough for you, some people on club civic are just so warm and welcoming!
It's not about being technical. It's simple, there is a right name and wrong name for parts.
Sorry if you don't know the difference.
Ppl calling things something they are not runs rampant in the Honda hobby, leading to confusion, misrepresentation and wrong info (The overused term "JDM" comes to mind, like your "JDM" shift knob).
The uneducated ones are the ones that suffer when they go to buy parts, and it's not what they thought because of misused terms, but hey, it's your money.

mlariviere

It's not about being technical. It's simple, there is a right name and wrong name for parts.
Sorry if you don't know the difference.
Ppl calling things something they are not runs rampant in the Honda hobby, leading to confusion, misrepresentation and wrong info (The overused term "JDM" comes to mind, like your "JDM" shift knob).
The uneducated ones are the ones that suffer when they go to buy parts, and it's not what they thought because of misused terms, but hey, it's your money.
The whole idea behind this thread is the fact that im new to the civic community, and that im a first time owner who would like some suggestions. I'd completely understand if you were being apathetic in correcting me, but no need to be harsh.:shock:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd completely understand if you were being apathetic in correcting me, but no need to be harsh.:shock:
Sorry if you're too sensitive, but I get straight to the point.
Since you are a 1st time owner, it is important that you research, read and educate yourself.
Lots of info out there, especially since the oldest 6th gen Civic('96) is now over 10yrs old.

Decipher

Registered VIP
The whole idea behind this thread is the fact that im new to the civic community, and that im a first time owner who would like some suggestions. I'd completely understand if you were being apathetic in correcting me, but no need to be harsh.:shock:
Don't sweat it man. No matter how folks on here come across, they are usually just trying to help out. Some just get jaded after seeing no0b after no0b ask the same question or come on asking questions merely for the purpose of showing off what they've done to their car, instead of actually searching and using the site as a resource.

Not that you're doing that, all I'm saying is that Mr Baker is just trying to point out that the first step in becoming efficient at modifying or building these cars is teaching yourself the basics and learning how to shop/spend/work and what not to do. Most kids start out with their first car and do everything wrong trying to cheap out, and end up back pedaling to correct their mistakes. But there's no reason for that when you have a knowledge pool to study and learn from. Educating yourself will save you time and money in the long run.

You've got a very clean base to start with from the looks of it. Do you have any more pictures? The steelies might not look bad since the car itself is black too. You should keep an eye out on craigslist and other local classifieds... you never know when some desperate guy will be selling his nice clean wheels for a bargain. I agree with you that a drop would be a good first move. Coilovers are usually your best bet, since the ride height is adjustable.

Anyways, welcome to the site. There's a wealth of knowledge here, be sure to use it and good luck with your plans.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Don't sweat it man. No matter how folks on here come across, they are usually just trying to help out. Some just get jaded after seeing no0b after no0b ask the same question or come on asking questions merely for the purpose of showing off what they've done to their car, instead of actually searching and using the site as a resource.

Not that you're doing that, all I'm saying is that Mr Baker is just trying to point out that the first step in becoming efficient at modifying or building these cars is teaching yourself the basics and learning how to shop/spend/work and what not to do. Most kids start out with their first car and do everything wrong trying to cheap out, and end up back pedaling to correct their mistakes. But there's no reason for that when you have a knowledge pool to study and learn from. Educating yourself will save you time and money in the long run.

You've got a very clean base to start with from the looks of it. Do you have any more pictures? The steelies might not look bad since the car itself is black too. You should keep an eye out on craigslist and other local classifieds... you never know when some desperate guy will be selling his nice clean wheels for a bargain. I agree with you that a drop would be a good first move. Coilovers are usually your best bet, since the ride height is adjustable.

Anyways, welcome to the site. There's a wealth of knowledge here, be sure to use it and good luck with your plans.
:like:

trashEH2

low & slow build
Good start. Slam it and don't mind the forum tough guys. Read. Read. Read. That's all you can do. Good luck!