noob question here...

240wootie

5+ Year Member
ok guys, i'm a nissan guy on a honda forum, and i need to know what engine my 96 EK has. The guy i bought it from said that he swapped it in, but i dont remember which on it is. it is a SOHC, ZC engine but thats all i can find. It only says "honda" on the valve cover, it doesnt have the v-tec on it. i'd post a pic of the engine if i had my camera with me. below the "ZC" in the block it has the numbers 6606492. I'm not retarded when it comes to cars, i'm just not much of a honda guy. its a great car, gets good mileage on the freeway (i drive about 400 miles a week going to school), and handles decently. i got it to drive back and forth to school while i'm finishing the swap i'm doing in my 240sx. so if any one can help with my question, i would appreciate it very much!!

240wootie

5+ Year Member
oh yeh, its getting a new paint job this summer, dont worry!

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does it look like this 240?

Theres a sticker on my timeing belt cover. It should be somthing like D16y with numbers after it depending on what motor it is. Go check real quick and post back what it says.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The engine code is just to the left of the header, on the block.....not next to the timing cover. Plus, if you have a ZC in that hatch...its "illegal". Any motor lower than OBD2 in that car is Illegal. :lol:

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The engine code is just to the left of the header, on the block.....not next to the timing cover.
Theres a sticker on my timebelt cover that says D16Y8 with the numbers after it which I.Ds. my motor... He wants to know what motor he has.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didnt know there was a engine code on the timing cover. I dont have mine on, so.....plus most people use the code stamped into the block to figure out what engine it is...

240wootie

5+ Year Member
ok guys, i got some pix taken. I dont have the timing cover, so i cant check that. i almost figured i had a OBD1 engine until i looked at the ECU, and it is stamped "jan, 1997" so i dont know. here are the pix:

oops, thats my 240 engine swap =)

ryanM

first things first, your car is not an EK

you have an SOHC ZC. im pretty sure those are JDM, it looks to be vtec also.

pretty sweet RB swap :cool: i cant wait to get my swap done in my 240 also!

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it looks like a zc swap still using the y7 computer? but im a noob about ecu's ... and second that 240 swap is looking sweet =)

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tricky, Its got a OB2 ecu. Looks like a ZC with a Y7 or Y8 painted Valve cover. He might of also used a ZC block with a Y8 Head.
The RB looks good too.

240wootie

5+ Year Member
sweet. so i have an all-d-series frankenstein....? I want to turbo it later this summer, and i just wanted to know exactly what i had before i started, cause i honestly dont know. what else can i do to identify each part? the block also has a "95" on the right side. i dont know what that is either. if it is a obd1 engine, why would he have run an obd2 ecu?

thanx redline for all your help!

240wootie

5+ Year Member
by saying EK, i just meant the body style... sorry

hey thanks for the 240 love too guys =)

Zach-R

SOHC powa!!!
5+ Year Member
it looks to me to be a zc eng. with a a 96-00 sohc valve cover. i know for a fact that its not a zc valve cover. and they are vtec so u need to run a different ecu. the best option would be to get a convertion harness and run a p28.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its a y8 valve cover but its not vtec.....no solenoid for it by the dizzy