5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LOL nice link john

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
John, that second link you gave me, i kinda dont understand what its saying other then "these cams are great because they make power without extra wear and tear"

am i right?

and thank for the first link it was easy to read

the reason i asked is because im trying to build the GSR i want to get math matically rather then just slaping junk together and seeing what it makes as far as power

also does that company still sell the bumpstixs

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kind of off topic but sort of not
when i built my brother a spoon gsr motor, i put b17 camshafts in, which i was told was better..after i had it tuned, a few years down the road he wanted to put on c1 shafts and when we put it on the dyno again he went from 364 to 303, after some tuning we got it up to 358 but the car felt way different..the powerband just was never the same..so i just bought him some brand new bc cams, a gt30r turbo on a top mount manifold, basically a brand new turbo set up, retune, made 470 hp and was happy =)

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ yeah im not looking for numbers near that high, but i am looking to build a long lasting motor that can take a beating, i want to make about 220-240 at the crank, and be mid-high range. unlike most people i dont rev to the read line, i only rev to about a hundred over were the numbers max out, theres no need to rev higher then that,

i said it some were else, but im wanting the car to be VERY quick, lol i told that to a buddy like this. im oaky with toping out at 120-130, but i want to get there with a vengence

and i would really like to stay NA doing it.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is this going to be a boosted motor or N/A? boosted im assuming.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no im going to try to do it NA

realiscally ill be happy with 200-210 but 220 would be the best case cinerio

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
^^^
That's silly. B18c1 cams are better than b17 cams, only slightly. It must have been wear and external conditions

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^
That's silly. B18c1 cams are better than b17 cams, only slightly. It must have been wear and external conditions
external conditions maybe..but both were tuned in the NW winter..im not going to go out and say b17 cams because to me c1 cams seem better as well..but when it was tested numbers shown otherwise..the wear on the cams, they were still good. i'd never put anything that looks like its been through war in my or any car i work on, i'd rather buy new..not going against what you said though

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
but yeah, slo, you think that 210-220 crank is doable with a well planed NA build

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Don't plan on making more than 17x wheel with stock gsr cams. What is the full detail of your build plans?

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i know that i wont make more then that with the stock cams i havent really chosen parts yet because i want to make sure that everything i use will work well together,

thats why above i said that i am doing my build mathmatically, which is why i was trying to find what the stock cam specs are, as far as lobes, peaks, duration, overlap yada yada,

but in short as far as parts, good intake,throttle body, full exhaust(including header) cams( not sure what yet) with supporting parts were needed, and an internal refresh and proper break in

i want to make a car that is very peppy, fun to drive but still has good street manners, and can still run well on 93 with maybe octain booster sense the only place round here that sells 110 is 30 minutes away

im trying to go at it more from an ingenier stand point rather then a blot on and go stand point

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you build it right you can get to the low 200's to maybe 220's, but thats on a nicely built motor and most of the high hp n/a builds have ITB's.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
kind of off topic but sort of not
when i built my brother a spoon gsr motor, i put b17 camshafts in, which i was told was better..after i had it tuned, a few years down the road he wanted to put on c1 shafts and when we put it on the dyno again he went from 364 to 303, after some tuning we got it up to 358 but the car felt way different..the powerband just was never the same..so i just bought him some brand new bc cams, a gt30r turbo on a top mount manifold, basically a brand new turbo set up, retune, made 470 hp and was happy =)
was it tuned by the same person in the same place?

Im willing to bet b17 cams are the exact same as b16s, both pr3 heads, I doubt honda went through the trouble at the time to make different cams for the b17s

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you build it right you can get to the low 200's to maybe 220's, but thats on a nicely built motor and most of the high hp n/a builds have ITB's.
200-220 is the range that im looking for, weather i go ITB or not will be determind later, but at the moment im just planing on going with a extruded OEM manifold, have decided weather to use a C/C5 intake manifold or to go with the C1. I know that ITB's are better for the response aspect and air flow, but at the same time im just ehh on the cost of them. and who ever i get to do the tune later one will have to know what they are doing when it comes to the ITB's in order for me to have the best results.

im still in the process of choosing my cams, and like i said somewhere else, im building this motor by the numbers, systematicly and mathmaticly lol. what ever manufacturer carrys the parts in the spec that i need or close to it (sense i may not find exactly what im looking for, so wiggle room is expected) is who ill get them from, [as long as the brand is reliable ofcourse]

im also still trying to find the size of the OEM GSR TB, its turning out to be a hard fact to find. anyone know off hand?