oil change and my speedo quits and check engine light comes on!

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you read the title. i go up to auto zone today to get some oil and a oil filter and do a usual change. get my car up on the ramps drain the oil, unscrew the oil filter, put new filter on, oil it up, bring it back down and take the car around front of my house and i notice my speedometer isnt working! then to top it off the check engine light comes on! wtf? so im thinking i bumped a connector but ive been looking for the last 2 hours trying to figure out what the hell i did, and its still not working. anyone know what the hell is goin on?

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
check to make sure that your speedo cable that runs from the firewalll to the tranny is completely connected and pushed into the trans to where it needs to be, if it is and you still can't get the speedo gauge to work then check on the back of the speedo gague to make sure it's connected there.

ben

excommunicated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also check the fuse! quick way to tell, if your temp and tach work then the fuse is fine.

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea all the other guages work fine, just no speed...i guess ill look for that one that goes to the tranny...

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn man i checked the wire that i think your talking about and it seems fine. can anyone maybe guide me in teh right driection to find the wire that im supposed to be looking at?

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bump, someone help me out. My speedo still aint goin :x

Heres a picture of my engine compartment, maybe someone can bring it into paint and circle the area i should be looking for this wire that i tripped. Ive been checking them but i just cant get it to come back on. maybe im not looking at the right plug?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well... its tempermental... itll come back on... i promise... mine does it too.. its actually somewhere on the back on the intake manifold (usually) honda wiring goes bad after sometime. esp the speedo ones... theres not much you cna do about it... my 92 CX does that s**t too..

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well im just pretty sure it was bumped. i was trying to get to the oil filter which is a b***h to get at and my arm was all twisted behind there and bumping stuff. Ive been driving around 3 days now still no speedo. it hasnt even came on for a second. and everytime i start my car, about 1 minute and 30 seconds later the check engine light comes on and at night the s**t is bright and it annoys the hell out of me, i try to look at the raod and all i see is this brigh yellow light in my peheripial vison lol

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
just try to push the speedo wire down a bit more into the tranny, not to rough, but ehough to maybe shove it were it needs to be.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Traxxas2oo2 said:
well im just pretty sure it was bumped. i was trying to get to the oil filter which is a b***h to get at and my arm was all twisted behind there and bumping stuff. Ive been driving around 3 days now still no speedo. it hasnt even came on for a second. and everytime i start my car, about 1 minute and 30 seconds later the check engine light comes on and at night the s**t is bright and it annoys the hell out of me, i try to look at the raod and all i see is this brigh yellow light in my peheripial vison lol
umm, do you change your filter from the bottom or top? from the sound of it youre doin it from the top... you should do it from the bottom. it makes it MUCH easier, and you dont have problems like these..

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
werd, besides i've never seen anyone change it form the top, seems to me that it would be harder.

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heh, well its nighttime now guess ill try to push some wores in the mornin before work. Yea i couldnt get my car up on the ramps the bumper was hitting so i had ot do the change with it on flat ground, so getting to the filter front the bottom would be impossible. but I managed to get to it from the top, in a very wierd position at that, but yea your right, now i have this problem.

jspec- just for the record, is the wire im supposed to be pushing in in the area i circled in my pic? cause ivee been messing with that one. i fully unplugged it alreadya nd made sure to push it in good as i could...i dont know...

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you gotta put wood in front of the ramps to get up em if your car cant, my old civic had trouble goin up ramps at stock height, and now with my accord dumped 2.5" its a challenge.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Traxxas2oo2 said:
heh, well its nighttime now guess ill try to push some wores in the mornin before work. Yea i couldnt get my car up on the ramps the bumper was hitting so i had ot do the change with it on flat ground, so getting to the filter front the bottom would be impossible. but I managed to get to it from the top, in a very wierd position at that, but yea your right, now i have this problem.

jspec- just for the record, is the wire im supposed to be pushing in in the area i circled in my pic? cause ivee been messing with that one. i fully unplugged it alreadya nd made sure to push it in good as i could...i dont know...

it's down on the tranny in that area, it comes directly form the fire wall.

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah thats the one then. ive completely unplugged it and made sure it was pulgged in. Maybe its loose on the other side of the firewall behind the cluster. But i dont know how the cluster comes out...

and you still havent answered me, did you ev er send me the Si cluser you had, i was waiting on it COD from UPS you said.

But yea how does the cluster come off anyways??

Grand141

Juicy
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
u need to take off the plastic cover there are 2 screw on the back of the plastic cover by where ur window is @ and there are 2 skrew one right by the emergency button and the other one on the other side and that comes offf........ and its all eazy after that and u know what i think ur Checkengin light comes on is because u might have dico ur O2 sencor i did that b4 on accedent
lso i do think that it is the Cbl from the speedomiter i had the same prob and it was that i pulled the wire to hard and ripped it off so i went to the yard and got 1 for $3 and its all good now

T-mo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you ever check to see what the check engine code was????

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
T-mo said:
Did you ever check to see what the check engine code was????
please explain, im new to cars and getting more hands on with them. not sure what exactly your referring to.

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright, well i found the screws, took off the cover, and yep, that wire was unplugged. aparently it got pulled out. thanks guys, couldnt have figured it out myself.

Jspec- STILL wondering if you ever got the cluster shipped..

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Traxxas2oo2 said:
alright, well i found the screws, took off the cover, and yep, that wire was unplugged. aparently it got pulled out. thanks guys, couldnt have figured it out myself.

Jspec- STILL wondering if you ever got the cluster shipped..
good call! nice work