one of the bolts holding on my wheel broke, how safe to drive with 3 lug nuts?

EKcivicGirl

5+ Year Member
So I was taking off my wheel and one of the lug nuts wouldn't come off, and then the bolt broke in half. I have to go to school like 20 minutes away in a little while. Is it unsafe to drive with just three lug nuts? The bolt is still half there, so it is holding the wheel in place, I just can't put a lug nut on. Small risk or big risk? Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know how this happened. I didn't even put the lug nut on tight to begin with.
Thanks

barcafan_84

jdmfan_84
5+ Year Member
So I was taking off my wheel and one of the lug nuts wouldn't come off, and then the bolt broke in half. I have to go to school like 20 minutes away in a little while. Is it unsafe to drive with just three lug nuts? The bolt is still half there, so it is holding the wheel in place, I just can't put a lug nut on. Small risk or big risk? Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know how this happened. I didn't even put the lug nut on tight to begin with.
Thanks
one of my buddies drove his integra like that for an entire year cuz he didnt give a s**t, didnt happen nothing to him, but i prefer to fix in terms of safe driving, u never know when something can go wrong!!

EgHatch93

EG Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know a civic rollin around here that only has 3 on each wheel... No big deal... Hes been driving on it for 2 years... Just a lil more unsafe ;).

PICKLED

El mero mero Aguacatero
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been doing it for a while. The only problem I could see happening would be warping my rotor since the wheel isn't evenly torqued, but I haven't noticed anything so far.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Its not safe. You can get away with it for a bit but I personally wouldn't chance my life just because i decided to be cheap. Get a new stud asap.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, replace it when you get out of class.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Depends how much you want to risk your life.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
gorilla glue

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe you will be fine just as long you don't go racing down the streets. Just take it slowly and fix it asap.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get it fixed, asap, it won't cost that much

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive had 3 lugs on my left front wheel for like 4-5 months now. Havent had one problem. Sometimes I drive pretty hard.....:what:

Go head, flame away. :lol:

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I say just go to class, then go to your local shop or a Sears or something and get a new stud in.

unvmy99si

LUCID DREAMIN
5+ Year Member
you are just fine... drive the damn thing into the ground, actually driving with just 3 wheels would look really cool

civicexcoupeman

Evil Monkey FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
must suck....
its pretty easy to fix..
I dont recommend running around without fixing it...maybe just to class then fix it

EKcivicGirl

5+ Year Member
lol I don't plan on not getting it fixed. I just needed to go to class. I will fix it this weekend. Anyone replaced theirs before, is it pretty easy?

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i drove my old accord through the winter doing ALOT of dicking around in the snow (spinnin tires like crazy, etc. etc.) without ever having a problem with 3 studs.

But now i personally feel that it should be fixed asap... as its one of those things that drives me nuts.

See someone sitting at a stopilght with only 3lugs and im just like "wtf! Fix it! its so cheap/simple/easy!"

and makes me wonder why i never bothered to fix mine on my accord until the spring rolled around.

From what ive found, theres supposedly a notch/groove in the back of the spindle that allows a stud to be pressed out/in one at a time... but that shits never worked for me, ive always pressed the whole hub assembly out, and done it that way, then pressed it back together.

If you go that route, i highly suggest doing wheel bearings while you're in there.

EKcivicGirl

5+ Year Member
i drove my old accord through the winter doing ALOT of dicking around in the snow (spinnin tires like crazy, etc. etc.) without ever having a problem with 3 studs.

But now i personally feel that it should be fixed asap... as its one of those things that drives me nuts.

See someone sitting at a stopilght with only 3lugs and im just like "wtf! Fix it! its so cheap/simple/easy!"

and makes me wonder why i never bothered to fix mine on my accord until the spring rolled around.

From what ive found, theres supposedly a notch/groove in the back of the spindle that allows a stud to be pressed out/in one at a time... but that shits never worked for me, ive always pressed the whole hub assembly out, and done it that way, then pressed it back together.

If you go that route, i highly suggest doing wheel bearings while you're in there.
I think I might have a bad wheel bearing. Do you know what it sounds like? I have this clicking and thumping noise when I drive in a constant pattern as the wheel goes around. It was really loud for a day, now its alot quieter. Also some weird creaking noise some of the time. You need special tools to take off the hub though right? The manual says use "special tools and a hydraulic press".

GooseS2000

SourPatchKid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go to autozone, they sell the bolts for like $2-3, and u can hammer it out, then hammer it back in, did that to my rusted ones.