1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by TurboEM1, Feb 26, 2005.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. TurboEM1

TurboEM1 New Member 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Hey guys my 99 Si is throwing this code. I erased it but it came back an hour later. How do i got about fixing this? What part should I buy? How much?

Also is it safe to do some minor driving untill i fix it?

2. Sleeper

Sleeper 92 4doorSleeper Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

remover the IACV & clean the carbon out of it, if still throws code, then raplace IACV. its like $150

3. TurboEM1

Any info on where its located and how to remove and clean it?

4. Sleeper

Back of the intake manifold, use chock & carb cleaner

5. Bobo_686

Bobo_686 Shiny things amuse me Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

open the throttle plate up an just spray the cleaner in and use an old toothbrush, ive found out that works really well and wont scratch the surface

6. Sleeper

that wont touch the IACV though, itll clean the thrittle body though lol

7. Team2000

Team2000 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I just had this code on my EM1 last night, I was wondering what was done to fix it, or if you did anything to fix it dude?

8. gearbox

gearbox New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

clean IAC valve and check the fast idle thermo valve if you have one.

9. TurboEM1

sorry for the late reply. I unbolted it from the back of the intake manifold. Cleaned it out with carb cleaner really good. Let it soak a lot and rinsed it a lot all with carb cleaner. Sprayed the hell out of it because i didnt want to shell out $190 + for a new one. Then let it sit outside to air dry for about 30 minutes. Bolted it back up and the code never came back **Knock on wood**

10. j_fukin_t

j_fukin_t New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

try the seafoam to bro sounds like ya got a dirty intake

11. CIVIC12345

CIVIC12345 New Member 5+ Year Member

po505 idle control malfunction poped up i cleaned it with carb choke cleaner still when starting the car rpms go up and then drop like its about do die and after it get warmer the rpms just jump up but when driving and coming to a stop rpm go up and down and then idle at like 1500 or less any help would be appreciated

12. 99SilverCX

99SilverCX New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

what car, what motor you have? I had this issue with my B16A OBD1 motor, had to tighten the plate inside the fast idle valve, on my car it was on the bottom of the throttle body

13. Ben9919591

Ben9919591 New Member 5+ Year Member

98 civic ex engine movement

hay guys i have a 98 civic ex. and after replacing all the motor mounts with some new stock ones my shifter still moves up to half of an inch or more wen i am accelerating. i dont like it it makes me feell like i am loosing acceleration speed is it supposed to be like that if not any suggestions???

14. RonJ

RonJ Banned

What does this have to do with CEL code P0505? You should make your own thread.

15. MyNaSi51

MyNaSi51 MyNaSi51 5+ Year Member

i have the same problem but no cel. i cleaned my iacv, o btw i have a b16a2 the car idles much better now, only problem is when u give it gas it revs up but it when the idle decreases it hangs at 1400 -1650 rpm for a few seconds then drops back down? normal or should i still investigate please help