Poormans R ?'s

stevex

5+ Year Member
b16a (SiR II) in my 98 coupe, just picked up a B18c block with brand new OEM rings. I'm on a tight budget, but still want to build the block somewhat before slapping it under the b16 head. So far I know I definetly need p73 pistons (or PCT pistons, not sure which one will yield the better compression?), ARP head studs and connecting rod bolts, and OEM bearings. What else would you guys do to make this setup worth it on a tight budget?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would do a search, there was a thread in engine tech about them.

lsvtecEK4

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
PCT or p30 pistons, mill the head, throw in some b16b cams, throw on a ITR oil pump

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
GSR Cams unless you can find a good deal on TR's.., TR Pistons/possibly rods and rings, TR oil pump, GSR or Type R Timing Belt because the b16 wont fit. Remember the GSR has a more aggressive internals then a B16 so if you just through a b16 head on a b18c1 block it would have less power then a GSR.

My setup if i was going this route..

Skunk2 Intake Manifold, Type R IM, Blox IM if your on a budget
PWJDM Carbon Fiber PowerChamber Intake
CTR, ITR, Skunk2 or GSR Cams
Skunk2 Cam Gears
DC 4-1 Header
Skunk2 Testpipe
Buddyclub Spec 2 or 3, APEXi N1 or Skunk2 catback
Type R Pistons / Rods ect..
Type R Belt / Oil pump
Apexi VAFC / Mild Tuning
CM Clutch/Flywheel

Stock Boy

5+ Year Member
i have a poorman's type-r setup with:

B16 head/GSR Block
GSR cams (free)
B16 (SI) pistons
Blox intake manifold
DC 4-2-1 headers
WS2 exhaust
chipped 928
B16 tranny

I haven't gotten to tune it yet but it runs really strong. Haven't raced anyone either so I have no comparison. Its a nice little setup tho.

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
gsr head yields higher compression than b16 head and type r head

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
PCT or p30 pistons, mill the head, throw in some b16b cams, throw on a ITR oil pump
Depending on the year, I think that all the oil pumps are the same. Like from 96 and up. All B-series oil pumps are the same.

Zach246- The GSR head does yeild high compression, but the B16 head and Type R head flow better. You can make up the difference with new pistons (which he's going to be doing anyways). He's better off getting the B16 head aways. GSR's suck my ass. Haha:cool:

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Heres my build:

Hot tanked and honed gsr block
B16 head
Ported b16 intake mani with hondata gasket
B16 pistons w/ gsr rods and crank
ITR cams
Obd2-obd1 conversion harness with pherable.net chipped ecu
ARP headstuds
I/H/E

And yes, as stated above gsr heads yeild high compression, but don't flow as well. B16 heads flow better but have lower compression. Put higher compression pistons in with the b16 head and you have both. I picked up a spare set of low mile b16 pistons and rings for $50 which will put me at 11:1 compression, which is inexpensive and takes care of the compression loss and then some.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not everyone is made of money...being a cheapass and doing things on a budget aren't the same thing.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You don't need to be made of money.

"tight budget", to me, sounds like "I don't want to spend a lot of money".

If you want something done right, you spend what it takes. :what:

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can still spend what it takes to do something well on a budget. After selling my b16 block, I'll have spent less than a grand on my entire build. I'm a college student and have other things that take priorities over cars, so is in on budget? Yes. Does that make me a cheapass? No. Poor choice of words I guess?

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
2-3 cfm isn't worth a head swap idiots, especially when its power is only on the top end, you are not at the tip top of your power band but a fraction of the time. A poor mans R is weaker than a gsr with a single runner mani. Straighter shot to the valves. And hmm, why does Mugen use the Gsr head on their all motor 2.0 dohc vtec instead of the b16. I dunno, ask honda which is better instead of just going stock for stock, the guys replacing his pistons, why would he want to make it up with a higher cr piston if all he has to do is keep the head and plus, b16 cams are the absolute worst fo dohc vtec motors. So just get a single runner, and save some money. The internet is a crazy place kiddies...

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you've already got a gsr motor, don't swap it for a b16 head just to gain cfm, you'll loose power. I don't think anyone would argue that.

But if you have a b16 motor already, swapping a gsr block and using your b16 pistons will make more power than a gsr, it's definitly a worthy mod. Better than swapping the b16 out for a gsr IMO.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you've already got a gsr motor, don't swap it for a b16 head just to gain cfm, you'll loose power. I don't think anyone would argue that.

But if you have a b16 motor already, swapping a gsr block and using your b16 pistons will make more power than a gsr, it's definitly a worthy mod. Better than swapping the b16 out for a gsr IMO.
This would seem to be just about the only way I would do one. Seems like a good, reasonable idea for why people would do it.