Question about exhaust and installing.

Honda904

I have a 1994 Honda Civic Coupe 2 Door completely stock. I want to install exhaust but I'm not very familiar with it. Stock headers and piping. I want the car to sound good and look good. If I was just to install a muffler on the stock piping would it make the car sound more sporty/loud? I found some DC Sports muffler which from reviews doesn't seem too bad and not the chinese ebay stuff.

So my question is, if I just install a muffler to the stock exhaust system would that make a difference? And should I do that? Not looking to spend too much on exhaust.

Here is what I've found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-SPORTS-3-5-STAINLESS-STEEL-UNIVERSAL-EXHAUST-PERFORMANCE-MUFFLER-ACURA-HONDA-/281120883815?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2006|Model:Civic|Submodel:Si&hash=item41741c4467&vxp=mtr

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dont got that type of money.. 3 of those can buy my car lol..

But would putting on a muffler on the stock piping do anything?
You'll get the look and sound but you aren't going to get any power. In all honesty though, the power gains from a full exhaust are pretty minimal anyways so you might as well go for it. Just get a decent quality muffler so the sound you get is nice. DC Sports should be okay, I like APEX'i.

Honda904

You'll get the look and sound but you aren't going to get any power. In all honesty though, the power gains from a full exhaust are pretty minimal anyways so you might as well go for it. Just get a decent quality muffler so the sound you get is nice. DC Sports should be okay, I like APEX'i.
Well I'm not looking for power tbh. Stock d15b7. All stock exhaust. So I miht as well just go with a good muffler? I was suggested the Dc Sports and told it isn't bad quality. Don't want to spend 250+ for exhaust. Might get a decent muffler for 75+ and just get it welded to the stock piping. Not buying any catback since I've got no engine mods.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I'm not looking for power tbh. Stock d15b7. All stock exhaust. So I miht as well just go with a good muffler? I was suggested the Dc Sports and told it isn't bad quality. Don't want to spend 250+ for exhaust. Might get a decent muffler for 75+ and just get it welded to the stock piping. Not buying any catback since I've got no engine mods.
I say get a good muffler because if you get something cheap they often rot out and sound terrible. DC Sports used to be a good brand but have been bought and sold and are now owned by Pilot who makes shitty AutoZone parts. I can't tell you what they're quality is like now. If your budget is $75 you might just want to forget about it… You're probably going to have to pay a shop about $40 to weld it on there too.

Honda904

I say get a good muffler because if you get something cheap they often rot out and sound terrible. DC Sports used to be a good brand but have been bought and sold and are now owned by Pilot who makes s***ty AutoZone parts. I can't tell you what they're quality is like now. If your budget is $75 you might just want to forget about it… You're probably going to have to pay a shop about $40 to weld it on there too.
I can pay to about 150$ on some good exhaust/muffler. Just saw the DC Sports had a good feedback. Don't want something sticking out too much either.. I've been looking around locally but no luck yet.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DC sport is junk now in my opinion. They (like said above) were bought out by a company that makes cheap crap and they, from what I have seen, have dropped their standards and quality.

Just go to a local muffler shop and tell them what you are looking for. They should be able to help you....it's what they do. :what:

Honda904

DC sport is junk now in my opinion. They (like said above) were bought out by a company that makes cheap crap and they, from what I have seen, have dropped their standards and quality.

Just go to a local muffler shop and tell them what you are looking for. They should be able to help you....it's what they do. :what:
I don't know much good muffler brands.. The local muffler shop will try to sell me some Chinese exhaust that will rout out in a few months.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know much good muffler brands.. The local muffler shop will try to sell me some Chinese exhaust that will rout out in a few months.
Why would they do that? What kind of shady area do you live in? If they are a good shop they are going to want to sell you something that wouldn't have you coming back to them in a short period of time. Find out what kind of warranties they have. If it is a year or more on parts it isn't that bad of a product or they would lose money and in turn lose business.

Honda904

Why would they do that? What kind of shady area do you live in? If they are a good shop they are going to want to sell you something that wouldn't have you coming back to them in a short period of time. Find out what kind of warranties they have. If it is a year or more on parts it isn't that bad of a product or they would lose money and in turn lose business.
It's business that's what they need you to come back every once in a while.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's business that's what they need you to come back every once in a while.
That is so untrue it's not even funny. Who fed you that line of BS? It's actually kind of sad that you think that way.

You understand it's better business to have people happy so they spread the word and send their friends and family rather than sell them junk to keep them coming back right? It's common sense. Why would someone keep going back if the place messes stuff up or sells shoddy junk?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
That is so untrue it's not even funny. Who fed you that line of BS? It's actually kind of sad that you think that way.

You understand it's better business to have people happy so they spread the word and send their friends and family rather than sell them junk to keep them coming back right? It's common sense. Why would someone keep going back if the place messes stuff up or sells shoddy junk?
X2
On the matter of exhaust you could get muffler off a 8th gen so or something. Or if you don't want to look silly with sounding like a pissed off bumblebee you can save money and buy a nice exhaust system even custom done exhaust rather than just putting on some dart pipe.

Honda904

My main questions is. : Will it be ok to get an aftermarket muffler welded to my stock piping and sound just fine?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can weld any muffler you want, sound depends on which one.

Honda904

You can weld any muffler you want, sound depends on which one.
ok great! that's what I was looking for. Even with full stock piping?

lets say I have something like this

How would you weld the muffler? is the stock muffler is much bigger than the after market exhaust. as in the length wise.

JUST AN EXAMPLE

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Muffler shops know what they are doing. That is what they do to put food on the table and keep the roof over their heads. If you bring something to them they can put it in. Or like I said before just tell them what you want to do and they will have something that will work.

Are you planning on welding in your own stuff, is this why you keep asking? If so, you need to get some piping and some material for the new hangers and get to measuring and cutting...

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
ok great! that's what I was looking for. Even with full stock piping?

lets say I have something like this

How would you weld the muffler? is the stock muffler is much bigger than the after market exhaust. as in the length wise.

JUST AN EXAMPLE
These two items are the exact same thing. All that the shop will do is possibly unbolt your existing muffler (the larger and rusted one) and bolt on the new aftermarket muffler. If you welded on the bottom image to the end of the first image, you are going to have a really weird looking setup.

Options are either (a) bolt on the new on after unbolting the old or (b) cutting the old one just before the bowl and welding on the aftermarket.

In any case, as stated before by Lethal, the sound will all depend on the aftermarket muffler you are placing onto your exhaust. You also have the option of adding a silencer afterwards (helps most mufflers from sounding really "ricey" and quiets your **** down a bit lol)

note: the second image doesn't show any hangers so that might need to be welded on in the event you go with option a (assuming for some reason your aftermarket muffler doesn't have them attached).