Question about the $50 eBay header..

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Love Colorado Springs, no smog checks. I've been running without a cat for a few months now, no problems. I just need to get an extension for the second o2 sensor and hook it back up.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On the D16Y7, the catalytic converter is built into the exhaust manifold. Your exhaust system options are:

1: Keep your stock exhaust manifold/catalytic converter and get an exhaust for the DX/LX
2: Get a header for an EX, catalytic converter for an EX, and cat-back exhaust for an EX
3: Get the header for an EX, an exhaust for a DX/LX and have no catalytic converter.

Option's 1 & 2 will keep you legal and not set off a check engine light
Option 3 will not pass emissions and will turn your check engine light on. There are things like O2 sensor simulators to get the light off but I don't know anything about them.

My opinion:
Personally I wouldn't want a header that was $50 on eBay anyways, it is likely to crack.
Running your car with a header and exhaust with no catalytic converter is very loud. I've done it and it's obnoxious.
Save your money and get the full EX setup when you have the cash for decent parts.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my car shoots 2ft flames all day
You know, I instantly though that would be something that old civicboy80 would have said he'd want to do too.. then I looked at your sig and completely lol'd. oh irony.

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for some reason i managed to pass with just a straight pipe! was worried about it but the light didnt com on until the next morning after i took emissions.. but problem fixed i did the spark plug none fouler and it works. so if u have emissions and they dont look under your car for a cat. i would just get the header and a cheap ebay hi flow and the o2 simulator (spark plug non fouler) and you should be okay. even if you do just get the hi flow wrap a heat shield over it and they wouldnt even notice :banana:

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just get the hedder. it's not like if you get stopped by the piggy's they will check your engine bay. get it and keep it somewhere. whenever smog time comes up, swap over the stock hedder with cat, and then swap it out again.
the last few times i ran into the piggy's they checked under my hood. :(

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ahhh it feels so good to do crap right under there noses
Heh, they wouldnt let me pass with my intake so I slapped the OEM one on without bolts, passed emissions and switched back in seconds.

The EX cat+exhaust system sounds tempting but I dont want to spend a lot of money to fix up this motor. Ill stick with the intake for now and maybe a cat back exhaust later on. Im swapping the motor out as soon as I find an Si tranny.
I was hoping I can add the header and keep my cat on. :(

Thanks anyways, you guys are a big help.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry for tread jacking but how would you go on to extend the o2 wire? for the lower one?

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ever thought of puttin a hi-flow cat after ur header???
I dont want to f**k with the cat, specially with THIS motor.
I doubt this motor will still be in my engine bay past June.

I just wanted the header for the extra 1-2HP and because it looks soo damn nice in my plain looking bay.

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Heh, they wouldnt let me pass with my intake so I slapped the OEM one on without bolts, passed emissions and switched back in seconds.
Hmm, never heard of not being able to pass emissions because of an intake....is that true for all states or just some states, some assholes?

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hmm, never heard of not being able to pass emissions because of an intake....is that true for all states or just some states, some assholes?
In California they are strict with their emissions laws.
The guy was looking at the intake for a carb number but couldnt find one.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^
Yeah same for me. He popped the hood and came to me and whispered. I can make it pass but it will cost a little more. HAHAHA.

So i guess when i start boosting i'll come back to that guy .