racing seats? vs stock si seats

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so im looking at putting racing seats in my 99 si and so far some people have said that the cheap $300 red ones on ebay turn pink anyone had any experience with any of these? I dont race its more for comfort since im 6'2" and 210lbs i tried the s2k seats but my shoulders are too wide for them what do you guys recommend and where can i get GOOD PRICES ON SEATS? thanks

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Type R Recaros? A bit more than 300 though lol

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya i wish i could get the type r recaros or any kind of recaro lol
im not looking to go over $350 so that was kinda the price range i set since i just got my f2 type 1's in im just looking to have something a little different

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I'm wondering about this too. Even if the eBay seats turn pink, can't you just dye them?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Seats generally arent cheap If u want a good product. I've heard alright things about the yonakas inthe CC store but also heard they're a bit flimsy. U could probably by a single corbeau seat

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Or if your okay with fab work u could weld rails on a 06+civic si seat or Rsx seat and get them to fit

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Real Recaro SRDs run like $800-900 for two used ones.

cleansleep37

t3EJ8
I got a set of Cypher seats that have held up pretty nice. If i'm remembering correctly they ran about 349 without rails shipped. They have tons of styles too. I went to HDepot and bought some thick steel rails, heated them up, and used a hammer to bend them into the correct shape, drilled holes and mounted them. It's been over a year and I've been pretty rough on them (held up well - no fading, no noticeable wear on sliders/recliners). I'm 6'2" as well and these railed dropped the seats about an inch and a half from stock height. My head used to touch headliner, now its a perfect fit. Let me know if you want me to send you some pictures...I'd have to take them after work.

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got a set of Cypher seats that have held up pretty nice. If i'm remembering correctly they ran about 349 without rails shipped. They have tons of styles too. I went to HDepot and bought some thick steel rails, heated them up, and used a hammer to bend them into the correct shape, drilled holes and mounted them. It's been over a year and I've been pretty rough on them (held up well - no fading, no noticeable wear on sliders/recliners). I'm 6'2" as well and these railed dropped the seats about an inch and a half from stock height. My head used to touch headliner, now its a perfect fit. Let me know if you want me to send you some pictures...I'd have to take them after work.
I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures.

cleansleep37

t3EJ8
The only pic I have of the seats online at the moment....

I can take pics of the rails later if need be, its just a strip of this metal..

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only pic I have of the seats online at the moment....

I can take pics of the rails later if need be, its just a strip of this metal..

Wow, those are nice and relatively inexpensive! How much did you spend on the brackets?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your main concern is comfort because you're big, most racing seats are going to be worse for you.

cleansleep37

t3EJ8
^^didnt realize this was going to be an effect of my own brackets, but it worked out absolutely perfectly. I love the height now and wont go back to raise brackets.

CO671

Registered VIP
I read about 8thGen SI seats being comfortable and can be inexpensive if you part it out right.

The FA5 or FG2 I think; if the 2009 is any different from the rest of the generation then I dont know which specifically.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If your main concern is comfort because you're big, most racing seats are going to be worse for you.
This... Most race seats are designed without comfort in mind first but safety and ability to keep you still while cornering. With a few exceptions like Recaro's but I don't consider them real race seats.. Anything that can recline isn't a race seat IMO.

And I personally would never ever buy a cheap no-name race seat. Seats ARE a safety device, especially race seats. That is why when used for racing, most seats need to be FIA approved and seats expire. I most definitely wouldn't buy a cheap seat mount/rail or attempt to make one myself. Again, a big safety component and it is the piece the holds your seat to your car... You don't want a weld to break or incorrect material or thickness to fail on you during a crash..

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This... Most race seats are designed without comfort in mind first but safety and ability to keep you still while cornering. With a few exceptions like Recaro's but I don't consider them real race seats.. Anything that can recline isn't a race seat IMO.

And I personally would never ever buy a cheap no-name race seat. Seats ARE a safety device, especially race seats. That is why when used for racing, most seats need to be FIA approved and seats expire. I most definitely wouldn't buy a cheap seat mount/rail or attempt to make one myself. Again, a big safety component and it is the piece the holds your seat to your car... You don't want a weld to break or incorrect material or thickness to fail on you during a crash..
I agree with you on almost all of it, but one exception. Now keep in mind that they are something like $2500 a piece but Porsche GT3 RS carbon race seats are recline-able. I have customers that rape their GT3 RS's at the track so they must be track certified.

DMaldonado93

I like Netami Seats they have a good range of colors and they are very comfortable. I also seen a bunch of good reviews of the seats and they are suspension seats. They have some that are 142 a piece and some that are 220 a piece and the rails for them are less than 25 bucks! they're great seats! and if u get the Netami renegade seats (the 220 dollar ones) u dont need brackets cause they come with universal sliders.

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like Netami Seats they have a good range of colors and they are very comfortable. I also seen a bunch of good reviews of the seats and they are suspension seats. They have some that are 142 a piece and some that are 220 a piece and the rails for them are less than 25 bucks! they're great seats! and if u get the Netami renegade seats (the 220 dollar ones) u dont need brackets cause they come with universal sliders.
wow im impressed with this brand and there price on the seats i found them on andys auto for like $142 a seat for the typer ones...the most im looking at spending is around or under 400 i didnt want to go over you know with how tight money is but i am looking for comfort and the stock seats...

idk maybe its a mentall thing but i just dont feel too comfortable in them now i sat in a pair of RSX seats and i can trade my si seats for them plus 100 bucks and i felt more comfortable in those and they look racey i guess enough for me ....is that a good price for seats or should i pay the extra 200 and get fake racing seats and YES im looking for reclinable ones so they might not be 100% race but its better than stock ones