Rear cargo hatch cover DIY

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yesterday I decided to make my own rear hatch cargo cover. I have a sub and don't want to advertise it, and after not finding an oem one for a decent price, I thought why not? So here's a bunch of pictures and instructions on how you can make your very own...

First you need to go to pick and pull and find some rear hatch cover brackets from any Honda really, I got mine from an Acura integra. I just ripped the brackets that snap into the slots off of the original Integra cargo cover, and used those.

Then you need to buy some hardboard from a local hardware store. A quarter sheet, 1'x4' is enough. I bought the thicker stuff so it would not bow or bend. Then you also need some black felt to cover it with. 1.2 meters worked for me, it's super wide, so you just need the 1.2 meter length, and the brackets like mentioned before. (Ignore that metal tube, I was going to use it as a mid support but it wasn't strong enough.)

Then you need to cut the board to the right length, it was 45 3/8" for my hatch. After that you can mark out the rough curve and the width and cut it out with a jigsaw. Do one side of the curve first, then make a carboard stencil to do the other side becuase both sides are semetrical.

Then flip the stencil over and cut the other side

Then you will need to cut the right grooves along the rear of the hatch. We did one side rough and made sure it fit, then made another stencil and did the other side.

Then once you have it fully cut it should look something like this

Once you've test fit the cover, make sure it's perfect. It might take a bit of planing, or electrical sanding to get the lines just like you want them. The rear hatch bottom part has a slant at the top, you want the cover to sort of rest halfway on that, as well as the grooved out lines on the side of the hatch, near the windows. You'll see when you take a detailed look at your car. So now that you've test fit it and are happy, you can put in the clips you got like so

Then put the brackets on the other side, and lay down your cover on top of them. Now you are ready to mark where the brackets fall in place on the underside of your cover.

Then once you have them lightly marked, you can make the line more bold so you know exactly where they fall in place. Now that you have your lines bolded, you can then hotglue the brackets in place on the underside of the hardboard. Make sure you roughly sand up the brackets so the glue can adhere best to it.

Now that you have all your brackets glued on, you can put the felt on it. Flip the board upside down so your top piece of felt is totally solid with no lines or cuts. Then go around 3 sides of the board and fold the felt over about 1 inch or so, stretching it evenly, and hot glueing it in sections of 5-6 inches. Don't press too hard when you glue it becuase the heat of the glue can penetrate the felt. A light press will work fine and will keep it on there good. I cut mine nice and neat so all the folds were similar. Here's your almost finished cover...

Then stretch the long piece over the bottom of the cover. Basically you're going to make the seem around the edges, just covering what you originally pulled over. You also have to cut around the brackets. I glued them to the board first becuase of strength, I didn't think they would adhere too well to the felt if you pre-upolstered it. It's not going to be perfect, but it's the underside, so it doesn't really matter.

Look at that good lookin' kid

Finally, here's some pictures of the cargo cover installed in the car.

Sorry, some pictures are dark, but I did this in the evening. This was my first write up so sorry if some parts are confusing or misleading. Overall it's a pretty easy project, cheap and serves a pretty decent purpose if you don't want to advertise what you are storing in your easily broken into truck. It's not super strong, so I wouldn't put anything heavy on top of it, but it looks pretty.

95SiDanO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that looks really good....very clean, i think im going to do this

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What did it cost you to make and how much do you charge for one of those?? Remember I did a chop on your car. ;)

I've tried todo that once before and it turned out like s**t. Couldnt get the edges to fit properly and I actually used the plastic clips from a eclipse cover I found on the street and they fit good. If you make one for me I'll pay for materials and labor.

Vote to move to DIY interior section!

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What did it cost you to make and how much do you charge for one of those?? Remember I did a chop on your car. ;)

I've tried todo that once before and it turned out like s**t. Couldnt get the edges to fit properly and I actually used the plastic clips from a eclipse cover I found on the street and they fit good. If you make one for me I'll pay for materials and labor.

Vote to move to DIY interior section!
Felt cost me 20 and the hardboard cost me 5. Took me a couple hours, but my dad is a contractor and has all the right tools for the job. As for making one for you, I could but I would need to get some more clips and they only had the one set at pick n pull. I live in Canada too so shipping woudl be alot and take a long time. I don't know, maybe I'm leaning towards no, haha.

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oooh, I see.

Maybe I'll try again. Whered you get the felt?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow bro, looks like you did a very nice job on it..! :thumbs up

Keep up the great work..! Looks professional..!

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm a perfectionist. I wouldn't want it done any other way. It's clean and simple, gets the job done I guess. Thanks for the compliments.

JMan8108

SOHC VTEC SON!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks really nice man. Ive been thinking about doing this for awhile. The only thing is I might try to throw some hinges on there to make it fold like the OEM one. Great job tho.

CivicDX94

5+ Year Member
awesome job, this thread should be moved to the "How To..." section so it can be used by others too. =)

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks really nice man. Ive been thinking about doing this for awhile. The only thing is I might try to throw some hinges on there to make it fold like the OEM one. Great job tho.
It wouldn't be hard. Just you need to have a piece of piping attached to the middle clip across from side to side, then make your cover 2 pieces and it should fold on it's own, without hingers. Take a look at an Integra one, the one I saw looked pretty simply done.

Bump for a mod moving this!

EGjames

d15b7
5+ Year Member
NICE! :banana:

im actually working on something simular, i have taken out my
back seats and i am going to use hard board and the same
material u used and create a rear seat delete.​