Rear cargo hatch cover DIY

JMan8108

SOHC VTEC SON!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It wouldn't be hard. Just you need to have a piece of piping attached to the middle clip across from side to side, then make your cover 2 pieces and it should fold on it's own, without hingers. Take a look at an Integra one, the one I saw looked pretty simply done.

Bump for a mod moving this!
Good thinking, when I get some spare dough ill give it a try and let ya know how it goes.

95SiDanO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i did this today...it didn't turn out too bad....not as good as this one, b/c i ran out of carpeting, so i had to piece in a couple pieces, lol

95SiDanO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

I didnt put the handle in yet, i forgot about that, but i substituted that with a Honda emblem, haha

I dont know, I like it better than having it open, so im happy...thanks for the write up, haha

Boricuanology

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The one from factory, does it bend in half? It be nice to do it out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, IMO. a lot of easy to clean I guess. Looks good kiddo. Forgot that you have an SI, I always thought that the white civics have blue interior only but I guess thats not the case. I still have my whole interior from my SI that I was planning on using it on my white DX and I have everything, everything BUT that rear cover, LOL. and I need one for the same reason. Don't want people wondering around my car.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The one from factory, does it bend in half? It be nice to do it out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, IMO. a lot of easy to clean I guess. Looks good kiddo. Forgot that you have an SI, I always thought that the white civics have blue interior only but I guess thats not the case. I still have my whole interior from my SI that I was planning on using it on my white DX and I have everything, everything BUT that rear cover, LOL. and I need one for the same reason. Don't want people wondering around my car.
Ya it's rare to find a white hatch with a black interior, I got super lucky. I like the idea of the hatch cover, no one is going to try and break in without even knowing there's a nice sub and amp back there. It's a win for the owner of the vehicle.

Dan; yours looks pretty nice, I see you just did a straight cut along the back of it and some grey carpet. Still looks evenly good though, just a different style.

As for cleaning the felt, it is pretty hard. I mean a vacuum works but you have to go over it a couple times. I think fiberglass would look cheap and ricey, same with carbon fiber too, but whatever. If you are concerned about weight, this thing weights all of 5 pounds.

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
very nice. i got lucky and my hatch came with cover but i sold it when i gutted the car. only thing i would have done different would be to drill out holes in the side to put the latches into. other than that it's a very good right up indeed. good work!

95SiDanO

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, i didn't think about cutting the bottom out to go right along the rear hatch, but maybe ill just make another some day.. in the mean time, i think its ok...I got my carpeting out of the back seat of a 95 DX that my friend was bringing to the junk yard, so it covered most, but not all...ha, i got headlights, moldings, seat belts, and a steering wheel from him to, haha

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn alex.. good freakin job man!

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Haha, I just bought a authentic cover! :D:D Much easier.
Would it help at all if I traced the curved portion so you guys have a template to use? Or something like that. Maybe the slants on the top side?